3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Daggon hiccups!!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/119260-daggon-hiccups.html)

Ohhkay8 07-30-2007 05:21 PM

Daggon hiccups!!!

I have gotten the hiccups about 6 times today. What gives?! I don't even know what causes hiccups, but they're starting to really annoy me! What do YOU do to get rid of the hiccups? Obviously my methods aren't very effective!

EZMONEY 07-30-2007 06:53 PM

We always gave my kids a spoonful of peanut butter...I "think" it worked.

blondebritbrat17 07-30-2007 09:23 PM

I feel bad for you! I hate hiccups. I get them so bad that they hurt my chest and have even caused me to throw up. I always do this: get a big glass of water and take a deep breath before start drinking and I drink as much as I can while counting slowly in my head to 10. It always works for me. Sometimes I have to do it several times though.

Ohhkay8 07-30-2007 10:00 PM

Thanks guys. I have now had them NINE times today. I don't know what the heck is going on. If I get them again I will try the two methods you've given me... but I hope I don't have to today!

HarpoChicoGroucho 07-30-2007 11:06 PM

I drink water with my head tipped back completely back (horizontal to my body). It has always worked. My head has to stay tipped back while I gulp down the water or it doesn't work. It seems to work better the larger amount of water you can get down at once. I take a big mouth full of water, tip my head back, and swallow. Sometimes one mouth full of water and a few swallows get rid of them. Sometimes I have to take another mouth full of water, but it's never failed (for me). Good luck :D

Diana the Hun 07-31-2007 02:16 AM

My boyfriend recommends vinegar, a large spoonful straight down. It sounds gross, but I've watched him do it many times now and it works immediately! Otherwise, I think distracting yourself can help a lot, hence the drinking and counting at the same time stops you and maybe relaxes your diaphragm enough to stop the cycle. I feel bad for you, I'd be screamingly frustrated by now :dizzy:

goinforthegold 07-31-2007 07:34 AM

Hiccups are a sign of reflux.

To get rid of them take about 20 small sips of something, right in a row without stopping...just enough that you're swallowing repeatedly. I find 10-20 times right in a row like that works everytime. If you can't get your hands on a drink, just swallow saliva. I read it in a medical journal years ago and it's never failed me.

Rhighlan86 07-31-2007 09:54 PM

My dad said the reason you get hiccups is because something with your diaphram...it's been a while sense he explained it, but what ive done that always works is lean over the couch and stretch it out. Just bend backwards over a chair and get a good stretch in your diaphram and it actually helps

zoritsa 08-01-2007 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goinforthegold (Post 1796886)
Hiccups are a sign of reflux.

To get rid of them take about 20 small sips of something, right in a row without stopping...just enough that you're swallowing repeatedly. I find 10-20 times right in a row like that works everytime. If you can't get your hands on a drink, just swallow saliva. I read it in a medical journal years ago and it's never failed me.

My husband has heard that from numerous people now and it has worked each time he had the hiccups.He once had it for three days straight...probably the only time I've ever seen him cry(cept when the kids were born).I was told taking small sips in a row has something to do with forcing your diaphram to stop spasming.