General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 328/-/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziness View Post
it's been almost a whole week. and i'm still pretty sad about it all being over.

read an article last night talking about how it would be perfectly normal for people - especially kids - to go through a sort of grief because it's over. i've been sad when a series ended before but this one really has me bummed out.
I feel the exact same way! I thought I was the only one who felt like they were in a Harry Potter depression, lol. I have felt sad & blah since I finished reading the book. I got weepy this morning after watching J.K. on the Today show, lol.
I re-read the whole series in the two weeks leading up to the final book coming out. So for 2.5 wks it was all about Harry. So now that its over I have this sadness. lol, sounds lame.
I am about a third of the way through reading it for the second time. I haven't cried once this time so far so I think I am healing, lol.
Andie5205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:38 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

No, I went through a couple days of "blah" after finishing Deathly Hallows, too.

I love the Potter Puppets-they have TONS of skits on YouTube. I love it when they go "bother" Snape...

"bother, bother, bother, bother, bother!"
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:54 AM   #93  
Pending Email Confirmation

Andie - I did the same thing - re-read all of the books.. took me about 4 or 5 weeks to do it so I felt like I had this nice long Harry Potter Summer and it's all over... I'm gonna go this weekend to see the movie and then it really will be over with. sigh.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #94  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

It's not "over" until the last movie is out! and until JK Rowling puts out that encyclopedia she's mulling over. Where can I get a Snape puppet???

I'm re-reading the Chamber of Secrets and my 8-1/2 y.o. is starting the book for the first time. He's seen all the movies and we talk to him about what happens in books 6 and 7 so he's quite interested in getting through the reading himself. He actually told me yesterday that a lot of things that happened in the book, didn't happen in the movie--and that, I told him, is what makes books so awesome!
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:50 PM   #95  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtammy View Post
One thing I didn't really understand is how Neville ended up with the Gryffindor sword during the battle of Hogwarts. I thought we last saw it with Griphook. How did Neville get it?
I am guessing this has already been answered but I believe it fell out of the sorting hat just as it had in ...one of the other books when it fell on harry's head. (chamber?)

Finally got a chance to read it and there is 7 pages of discussion...lol
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:28 PM   #96  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I thought the physical description of the crying baby was VERY similar to when Snape was in Quirrels turban...I just figured that was what a partial soul was.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #97  
Pending Email Confirmation

finally watched OOTP - found it disappointing. I was kind of expecting to though, honestly.
It was a good movie - but I feel like you're at a real disadvantage if you haven't read the books as there are a great deal of things that are skipped over or omitted. Couldn't get a better Bellatrix, Luna or Umbridge though.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 328/-/150

Holy crap! This is a must read.... so much info! http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/full_story/1156
Andie5205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:55 AM   #99  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Andie5205: couldn't access that link for some reason. Shoot...

Overall, I think this is quite possibly the BEST children series ever! And believe me, I have read a lot over my time, so that is saying a lot. I must admit though, that there are a few things puzzling me...

For instance, Snape was obviously very much in love with Lily all those years. Why then did he not go after Pettigrew when he realized that the Potters had to have been betrayed for Voldemort to find them? Just seems like it would've been Snape's style to do a bit of revenge there...I also think Lily could've been much nicer to Snape while she was alive. Granted, Snape didn't always do the right thing at times, but to his credit, he did at least apologize.

The ending of the book to me was bit confusing. I had to re-read it at times just to get the new characters straight in my mind. That's the one chapter that I think Rowlings should've taken a bit more time with, plus describing a bit more of what all of the characters were doing now. To me, that would've been the perfect ending.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:06 AM   #100  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Never mind! Managed to access the page! What a wealth of information! WOW!

By the way, was it Pettigrew or Wormtail that was the betrayer???
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #101  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Nemesis, Pettigrew (aka Wormtail) betrayed the Potters location to Voldemort. I don't think Snape knew Peter Pettigrew was alive all of those years. I think he believed he was killed in the explosion where his finger was found.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #102  
Woman on a mission

Height: 5'10"

The last 2 movies better be amazing and like 6 hours long.
MaNdA22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #103  

S/C/G: 211/200/165

Height: 5' 2.5" (HW: 222)

Thumbs up Leaky Lounge for all HP discussions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andie5205 View Post
Holy crap! This is a must read.... so much info! http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/full_story/1156
The other outstanding HP site is http://www.leakylounge.com. THIS is where to go if you really want to discuss the books and the movies! Believe me, before Deathly Hallows (DH- not referring to husbands!) came out, there were more arguments about whether or not Snape was good or bad than you could count.

And while you're at Leaky Lounge, click on to Leaky Cauldron. It, too has all the news for HP fandom. But the Lounge is where to go to REALLY discuss the books and movies in depth! "Scribbulus" is a section where various writers have penned their theories (supported by the books). I highly recommend "I Trust Severus Snape" by Theowyn. (And no, I'm not her, my user name is trust severus' spy there.)

Last edited by FatToFitVirgo; 08-07-2007 at 11:06 AM.
FatToFitVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #104  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisClaws View Post
I must admit though, that there are a few things puzzling me...

For instance, Snape was obviously very much in love with Lily all those years. Why then did he not go after Pettigrew when he realized that the Potters had to have been betrayed for Voldemort to find them? Just seems like it would've been Snape's style to do a bit of revenge there...I also think Lily could've been much nicer to Snape while she was alive. Granted, Snape didn't always do the right thing at times, but to his credit, he did at least apologize.
Snape, like Lupin, Sirius, and everyone else-thought that Pettigrew was dead, when he was hiding out as a Weasley pet for many years. Also, like many people, he assumed that Sirius was the betrayer as well-especially since he loathed Sirius. Lupin and Dumbledore were the only two people who knew without a doubt, that Sirius would have never given up James and Lily to Voldemort.

I think that Lily was justified in her actions towards Snape. That whole situation reminded me of when I was younger and had a friend, and we had differences, and finally just had to go our separate ways. She made her choices in life, and I made mine, and we were very different in our values, beliefs, and we just had to stop being friends.

I do believe that Lily was nice to him-and she did look out for him and worried about him, and his involvement with soon-to-be Death Eaters. But, sometimes when someone is going down a path that is SO very different than your own, you have to break it off. I think that him calling her mudblood was the final straw for her. I don't think it was a small thing that he could just apologize for-it was the thing after hundreds of things that just finally "did it" for her. From the way I read it, and understood the books, mudblood would be like someone here and now using a very bad racial slur.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 211/200/165

Height: 5' 2.5" (HW: 222)

Actually, Lupin did doubt Sirius, did think he'd betrayed the Potters. If you remember PoA (Prisoner of Azkaban - Book 3), the scene in the Shrieking Shack when he's followed Sirius there, he does think his old friend is dangerous. After all, as Padfoot, he'd dragged Ron into the base of the Whomping Willow, and into the Shack. It isn't until Sirius explains that it was Pettigrew/Wormtail/Scabbers who was the betrayer, not him, that Lupin says, "My old friend, can you forgive me?" and embraces him.
FatToFitVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote