Does Your Man Smell?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Today is Father's Day. I splashed on some Old Spice after shave before we headed off to church this morning. I use Old Spice but not often, Angie doesn't care for it too much. I use it because it reminds me of my dad, that is why I use it today. Although passed almost 20 years ago I still remember his smell after shaving...Old Spice or Mennen After Shave.

Angie buys me Ralph Lauren Polo Sport, it is a little strong for me and pricy. I have found out though that if I use it there is a pretty good chance that it could be "date night"

I have a variety of after shaves and colognes on my shelf. From Old Spice Original ~ Old Spice Fresh ~ Mennen ~ Aqua Velva ~ Adidas ~ and Brute to of course Polo Sport.

What does your man wear? Does an after shave remind you of your dad? Do you have a favorite?
  • My man smells really good -- I think it's just that I like his phermones though. Occassionally he'll use a body scrub he has that I bought him, which I buy from a girl in our area who handmakes scrubs, gels, lotions, etc. They are all scented with essential oils. The one he likes has cedar wood, pine, patchouli (I would say it's light on the patchouli because I'm not normally a big patchouli fan). It's very manly and sexy and not heavy. He has the shower gel and the sugar scrub in the same scent.

I just saw Dr. Oz on Oprah talking about phermones last week. He said little girls do not like the natural scent of their fathers - in other words they are not attracted to their father's phermones. This is mother nature at work. I found it extremely interesting because I remember being in middle school and complaining to my mom about my dad's smell -- it was sort of minerally smelling like metal. Hard to explain, but I know I did not like it. Isn't that interesting? He said that most couples really like each others natural smells.
  • I lost my sense of smell entirely when I fractured my skull last October and severed my olfactory nerve But hubby still wears Chanel Platinum Sport - I used to love it, so I like thinking he still wears it

Heather

PS - My dad always smelled like Old Spice or English Leather
  • my dad was kinda stinky.....

I like a man who smells clean....like soap and water...shampoo etc...

just a touch of something light and lemony over that soap and water fresh is nice.....

there was this stuff I got from New Orleans once...J.H. Tindel Eau de Cologne...it's supposed to be inspired by the scent that Napolean preferred...

http://www.neworleansperfume.com/men.htm
  • Yeah, I like the smell of my hubby just as is. Sometimes he'll wear this cologne that is lovely it's Eddie Bauer something or other - and I like the Old Spice fresh deodorant.

Dad always wore Old Spice, and while I don't HATE it per-se... I definately would not want my man to wear it!
  • My boyfriend doesn't wear anything in particular, but I like his natural scent. Even when we're cuddling and my face invariably ends up in his armpit, it's not all that bad.

On the other hand, I have a SEVERE aversion to Axe. My brother went through a phase in middle school where he'd spray as much of that on as possible in lieu of bathing and ugggggh.
  • I love the way my boyfriend smells. He almost always smells like old spice and car oil. It's wonderful.

Whenever I smell the old spice that he uses on someone else, it reminds me of him and I love it.
  • My dad used to wear the standard Old Spice when I was little. Then he graduated to Gray Flannel --yuck! Today he uses something from Avon called Wild Country, my mom is pushing him to buy Driven (the one advertised by Derek Jeter .

As for hubby, one of my favorite scents on him is Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein, it was one of the first gifts I gave him and it still makes me swoon. These days he alternates between Armani Mania (after shave) which makes my knees seriously weak or maybe just a body wash like Very Sexy for Men by Victoria's Secret. This is a far far cry from when I first met him and he wore Brut
  • Nearly all of my ex boyfriends wore AXE. I really liked it. I loved it when I spent time with them and I came home and I could still smell them on my clothes.

My dad always smelled like oil too -- except he didn't wear anything, so he just smelled like oil. He hasn't been a mechanic for over 12 years, but he still has one of his work coats, and he has it in his basement, and it STILL smells like oil. I don't think he ever washed it.

Quote: I lost my sense of smell entirely when I fractured my skull last October and severed my olfactory nerve But hubby still wears Chanel Platinum Sport - I used to love it, so I like thinking he still wears it

Heather

PS - My dad always smelled like Old Spice or English Leather
    Do you find that not having a sense of smell aids in the ability to resist cravings? I know when my allergies act up and I lose my sense of smell (therefore the majority of my sense of taste as well), I easily turn down tempting foods. I always wondered if doctors would remove olfactory glands to help with weight loss. But then I noticed too, when I lost it for long periods, I stop craving the taste, and then started craving the texture of whatever food my brain zeroed in on. So maybe it wouldn't work.
  • My BF wears Marc Jacobs. I bought it for him, I'm crazy over it.

Dad doesn't smell like much more than dirty. Love him anyway though
  • My DH uses the Axe body spray but sparingly. He smells good to me. My dad always used Old Spice.

Does anyone remember the perfume Emeraude from Avon? LOL, I sprayed a bunch of that on me when I was in high school and I stunk to high heaven. Also got atttacked by bees when I wore Sweet Honesty by Avon. LOL.
  • My dad was an Old Spice man. The Oh wears body sprays but he doesn't wear after shave. He always smells good. Ilove after shave though and always notice it on other people.

Lilybelle I remember Sweet Honesty used to love it when I was 15!!
  • I'm worried about having an Oedipal complex now because I always loved the way my dad smelled. I don't think he ever wore cologne of any sort but when I was little, I'd sleep with the shirt he had been wearing that day. It was comforting to me, not sexy in any way. YUCK, though, to any sentence that mentions both my dad and the word sexy!

I love my husband's natural scent. In fact, I don't really like him to shower before coming to bed because then he just smells like soap and not himself (assuming he hasn't been cycling or doing yardwork!). When he does wear a product, it's Javari from The Body Shop and it is gorgeous. I like it best when he's worn it to work and come home and the scent is faint so there's his natural scent plus a faint whiff of Javari.

Then, I react very strongly to smell in any way. I like snuggling my 3 year old daughter after a bath but actually prefer the way she smells before the bath. If I don't like the way someone smells, either from too much perfume or BO or uncleanliness, then I tend not to like that person very much.
  • Quote:
    I have a variety of after shaves and colognes on my shelf. From Old Spice Original ~ Old Spice Fresh ~ Mennen ~ Aqua Velva ~ Adidas ~ and Brute to of course Polo Sport.

What does your man wear? Does an after shave remind you of your dad? Do you have a favorite?
    My GRANDFATHER used to wear Old Spice. I love the smell of it because it reminds me of Grampa...like I love the smell of lily of the valley because it smells like Grandma dressed for church. (she used to have lily of the valley perfume) Now...I love these scents, but I would NOT want my husband to smell like Grampa. My husband doesn't wear any cologne or aftershave. He just smells like the soap and shampoo he uses adn when that wears off, he just smells like himself, which I love very much.

As for Mennen, Brute and Aqua Velva My dad used to have an old fashioned copy machine that a guy in the fire department used to have to use for things from time to time. I'm here to tell ya that this guy used to use an entire bottle of the stuff at one time and our house would smell like that for a half hour after he left. It was AWFUL, so if you came around me with that stuff on, I'd have to tell you to take a shower. They smell like cheap, old Italian men. Or lounge lizards.

An old boyfriend of mine used to use Chaps when he'd come pick me up for a date and I quite liked that. Also, my favorite, Matthew McConaughey is the...poster child?...for Stetson and I like that, too.
  • Oh, and my dad never really used scented things, either...but he used to keep a pack of cigarettes in his front pocket adn I used to love to sit in the recliner with him and my face was usually right next to the cigarettes and to this day, smelling a pack of cigs reminds me of my dad...so does Lavoris and Vitalis for what it's worth...