Disney World - traveling with a pet

• We're considering going to Disney World this fall. But I have a small dog with special needs, and a kennel is out of the question. I also don't have any friends that are able to take care of her because of her special needs.

Unfortunately, the Disney resorts don't allow pets at all. They have kennels, but you have to leave them there the whole time, even at night. We can't do that.

We found a lot of hotels that allow pets, but what do we do with her during the day while we are at DW?

Does anyone know of any hotels that offer a pet day care?

Thanks
  • Suzanne,
    I fee for you,
    I am not a DW person and avoid it at all costs. However, you could check with your local vets fo pet sitters and same with some of your local doggie day care places. There are people who cane take your pet to there home, hose sit for you, or just come and walk and feed your pup at home. I do find many pets don't like the stress of flying, strange hotels and being left there alone or being in a strange kennel. it is a lot of stress for the pups. Make a few calls and see what you can fine. for home care.
    If taking your pup with you is essential, call the hotels and see if they have dog walking service as part of what they do.
    I also pulled this up off of google for you, Maybe it can help too.
    www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-44,GGLJ:en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q =dog+walking+service,+kissimmee+FL&spell=1
  • Suzanne, I don't know if you're planning on driving or flying, but I have to agree that either form of traveling is very stressful for pets. I'd strongly urge you to find an option to keep Lola at home if it's at all possible. Honestly, aside from the stress of travel, I'd be concerned about the housekeeping staff being in my room with a pet when I'm not there.

When we travel, we have a cat sitter who comes into our home twice a day. She's a tech in our vet's office and can handle our cats with special needs and who take meds. This way they're comfortable in their own environment and don't have to deal with the noise and stress of travel, strangers, and strange places.

Maybe call your vet's office and see if there's someone who works there who pet sits? Or someone they can recommend?
  • We would drive, but the problem is that I have to have access to her at night and in the mornings, so I was hoping to find a hotel with a doggy day care.

I know it sounds silly, but she refuses to eat for anyone but me. I literally have to hold her and the bowl in my arms for her to eat. We've worked hard to get her to eat on her own, but without any luck. It's easy to assume that when she gets hungry enough she'll eat, but she almost starved to death twice. She's elderly, blind, toothless, and confused.

I haven't been able to leave her in six years. I'd really like a vacation
  • Suzanne I would suggest contacting PetCo or Petsmart they have tons of info and services and may have stores in the area.
  • Ah Suzanne, that's a tough situation! (she's tiny, isn't she? maybe a backpack or purse? )
  • Suzanne , you might try this
    www.pet-friendly-hotels.net
  • My parents travel with their dogs all the time and what they usually do is find local kennels to use while they are traveling. So the dogs will spend the day at a doggie day care and then get picked up by them later on. Only probably is I think they are strictly "day" care so you might have to pick your little girl up by 5 or so.
  • Suzanne, you might try this website www.findpetcare.com. It has listings for doggie day cares in all areas of the country.