3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > General chatter

General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
I wanna be a loser, too
cbmare's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 3,540

Height: vertically challenged

Default How does someone register as domestic partners in Calif?

My DD will be getting married in Feb. However, she wants to add him to her insurance right now. She has much better insurance and it would save them several hundred $ per month.

How does she register?
love n kisses,

Life does not happen in a vacuum. Lifestyle changes must transcend habits and routines. - thanks midwife.

Weight loss isn't linear and the body doesn't have a timetable. - thanks Glory87.

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
Moderating Mama
mandalinn82's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 11,712

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"


She is not eligible under CA law. Which I personalliy think is a little silly, but there you have it.
Goal Met - 10/28/07 - My Progress Picture Collage - My Goal Story - Where Have I Been?

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

Maintained Oct 2007-Sept 2011, then got pregnant. Our baby boy was born in May, 2012...now to lose the baby weight!!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
betsysunqueen's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 204

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4


I'm from Arkansas and I know next-to-nothing about California law. However, according to the information on the California Secretary of State's website, "persons of opposite sexes may not constitute a domestic partnership unless one or both of the persons are over the age of 62." The domestic partnership status seems to be for those who cannot get married due to laws against same-sex marriages and also for those (of the opposite sex) who would be placed in extreme economic hardship by getting married due to the loss of Social Security/retirement benefits. Here is the website I looked at: http://www.ss.ca.gov/dpregistry/

It seems to be like the regulations of most corporations that offer domestic partnership benefits: if you CAN get married, then that is what you have to do. If you CAN'T, then you can register as domestic partners. Hope this helps.
The tree that bears the fruit
is not the one that is planted.
- W.S. Merwin
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
Senior Member
alinnell's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,759

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"


Our company insurance (BC of CA) allows you to add a domestic partner by filling out an "affadavit of domestic partnership." It has to be notarized and they'll add the partner to the insurance (for the additional fee of course). I suggest you have your DD contact her employer and/or insurance directly to see if they will allow this or not.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
Senior Member
kaplods's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wausau, WI
Posts: 13,383

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"


My sister's friend was in a similar situation (though in a different state). The girl and her fiance were having a big wedding six months down the road, but she changed jobs and lost her insurance. His insurance wouldn't cover her unless they were married, so they married quickly at the courthouse, and still had the church wedding on schedule.
My Etsy shop (currently closed for the summer)

etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:08 AM   #6
Constant Vigilance
BlueToBlue's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,818

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"


alinnell is right, your DD needs to ask her employer about this. When my SO lost his job, we considered adding him to my insurance as a domestic partner. We could have done this but my company will not cover the cost of his insurance, so it would have been very expensive to add him. The cost of employer-provided health insurance is much higher than the premium you pay; your company covers most if not all of it for you but they are not required to cover this cost for domestic partners. In my case, my company covers my health insurance premiums in full but the actual premiums are around $500 per month--which is what we would have had to pay to add him to my insurance. It was cheaper (by a couple of hundred dollars a month) just to buy insurance for my SO on our own.
- Barbara

My Before and After Pics

"Decide what you want; decide what you're willing to exchange for it; establish your priorities, and go to work." --H.L. Hunt

"Life has hills. Set the treadmill at an incline."
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 PM.

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2