General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #1  
:)

S/C/G: 180/118/117

Height: 5'8 and 1/2

Question Infant excema

I have a 6 month old baby sister; she breaks out on her face, then it goes away for a few days and come back. The doctor told my mom that it was excema, and he gave her a cream(hydrocortisone maybe?) to apply to the breakouts. She still breaks out every now and then though. Mom said that it never happened with me or my younger brother. Someone told her to stop eating anything containing nuts, but I don't think that helped. I was just wondering if this is something she'll grow out of or if something else could be done to get rid of it.
xtiffanyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:34 PM   #2  
No description available.

Many babies grow out of it. If your mom is breastfeeding, she could try to cut back or eliminate dairy in her diet and that might help.

If it starts weeping, she should have it checked as it may become infected quite easily.

My littlest had it very badly when he was a baby. It was totally gone by 18 months.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:13 PM   #3  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Some moms I know put breast milk on the baby's skin and it helped it heal

Midwife (naturally) has sage advice

Other foods that mom eats (if baby is breastfeeding) may be triggers and it may or may not be a common allergen, it could be anything! Then there is the products used on mom and baby's skin, body and hair, the laundry and other household products, other environmental factors to consider.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 238.6/218/125

Height: 5'2

hey i'm 26 and have grown up with exema, it could definately be dairy...i know with me it is...but i love milk...and yogurt, and cheese...heck any dairy product really...has she thought about what products she's using ie: bathing, creams, laundry detergent? i can't use anything perfumed...i really am only supposed to use oatmeal based products and tide laundry detergent...i would worry about starting medicated creams so early because it may prevent her from growing out of it. let your mother know that there are exema support web sites that she will find a wealth of information and support...hope this helps.
porchcricket13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #5  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm an eczema kid too - hydrocortisone works alright, but nothing really improved till I got some mild steroid creams, although I'm pretty sure you can't use those on babies. Might be worth checking, though. I believe eczema is an auto-immune response, so it's really nothing to worry about in babies - if anything, their immune system is working TOO well! While it probably is some product she is reacting to, it's also possible that it's not something you can easily eliminate. While it's uncomfortable and frustrating, at least know that it's not dangerous as long as you watch for infection. Also, as she gets older, slapping it instead of scratching makes it itch less. Good luck!
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

My daughter has eczema, I noticed that it always gets worse when the air is too dry, using a humidifier helped with that. Or it would get worse on the back of her knees and the inside of her elbows if it was too humid. When it gets really bad we use oatmeal based lotions and bath soaps, then keep the area dry. And we'll also use hydrocortisone occasionally. The worst she has ever gotten was when she was in preschool and the heat was always up too high and the air was SO dry there. We tried using some prescription meds for it then, but have since found out that the one we were using was later ruled out for children because of health concerns. Can't remember what it was called though It never really worked well anyway.
hope this helps!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #7  
45 lbs down!

S/C/G: 278/232/199

Height: 5'6

When my youngest was about 3-4 months old she developed a red spot on her face which started about the size of a dime and spread out to be about the size of a half dollar. I tried lotions, creams, oils...none of it worked. I asked my friends mother (which is a nurse) and she recommended A&D ointment (diaper rash med) it didn't work either. I took her to the Dr and they told me to buy hydrocortizone cream. It took about a week but it cleared it right up. When it started to come back I would catch it right away and it was gone the next day. That lasted for about 4 months. She was completely red spot free by 1 year and has been ever since. She's 2 1/2 now. So chances are she'll grow out of it, they told me that it was very common in little ones. If not, when she gets older there are steroid creams and such to help keep it in check.
TammyD is offline   Reply With Quote