3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   How do they look like that? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/114015-how-do-they-look-like.html)

staciec878 05-31-2007 09:42 PM

How do they look like that?

Well I was in the line to check out in the grocery store, and I saw one of those celebrity magazines, and on the cover was nichole richie and you could see, just how skinny she was. Im not trying to be rude or disrespect anyone but how do people look like that, I thought if you dont eat your body goes into starvation mode and you dont lose anything???

maegdaeien 05-31-2007 10:03 PM

I've never understood the whole "starvation mode" thing; I'm sure that it can happen, but I think the term gets thrown around way too much. As this site often says, weight loss is all about calories in being less than calories out, so I'm sure these stick-thin "celebrities" just don't eat. And do drugs, which would help with keeping off pounds. :?:

I actually heard that Nicole Richie had a scale at the door of her Memorial Day party and no girls over 100 pounds could come in. Sounds like the kind of people you'd want to be friends with, right? :dizzy:

improbable 05-31-2007 11:39 PM

She joked on her party invitation that she was going to have a scale, it wasn't actually there. Starvation mode will plateau you three or four hundred calories (ie your body will retain an extra X hundred calories when it thinks you're starving it, so even if you're eating, say, 1000 calories daily, you won't lose any faster than if you were eating 1400, AND you'll GAIN if you go up) but your body needs a certain base amount of energy to run on, if it doesn't get it from food it will burn it from the body. Part of what makes anorexia so dangerous is that the body burns up muscle tissue to run its basic functions, including muscles that you need to live. Less muscle = more strain on your heart and organs, etc. etc.

Moral of the story, don't stop eating! and ew, who would want to look like a bag of bones anyway?

staciec878 05-31-2007 11:42 PM

No Way, I was just thinking about how they could possibly look like that, Some boys behind me were pointing at her saying how that is so disguisting.

NightengaleShane 06-01-2007 09:54 AM

She doesn't eat and she does drugs. She also admitted to being "addicted" to hoodia, so she probably pops diet pills like crazy.

Not eating will make you lose weight, BUT as soon as you start eating again at all, you gain it back and then some. I should know; I starved myself on and off for 3-4 years. And despite being skinny, I didn't have great muscle tone or as low a body fat percentage as I could have had if I actually ate. I never got as skinny as Nicole Ritchie... I knew better... I didn't want to be perceived as unattractive and she's just so gross looking... no curves, sunken eyes, ugly hair, and her body looks like skin being pressed onto a skeleton.

Seriously, though, **** talking aside, the girl truly needs help... but the saddest thing about all this is that I don't think she has any desire to change.

sockmonkey70 06-01-2007 11:44 AM

She used to be so cute and curvy too. I remember the first episodes of the Simple Life. I thought she was a doll.

NightengaleShane 06-01-2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sockmonkey70 (Post 1716152)
She used to be so cute and curvy too. I remember the first episodes of the Simple Life. I thought she was a doll.

I agree... she was gorgeous and perfect looking before all her obsession kicked in!

PS: my name is Mary too.
It's the most common name in the US for females, though.

alinnell 06-01-2007 12:42 PM

It's a sickness, that's for sure. My friend just admitted her daughter to a psych ward because her daughter was purging and was becoming suicidal because she couldn't lose fast enough. It's very sad.

sockmonkey70 06-01-2007 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightengaleShane (Post 1716175)
I agree... she was gorgeous and perfect looking before all her obsession kicked in!

PS: my name is Mary too.
It's the most common name in the US for females, though.

And wouldn't you know my last name just happens to be Smith? My parents must have not wanted a child LOL. They might has well have named me Jane Doe.

AndyNY 06-01-2007 04:19 PM

"Starvation mode" is a diet industry term, it's not a medical or scientific term. And it's about 95% myth except in rare cases when you actually are starving to the point of dying at which point your metabolism is the last thing you need to worry about.

Compare the first and last episode of any season of Survivor and see how many of them went into "Starvation Mode."

If you want to stop eating to lose weight, you'll certainly do so. But you're going to screw yourself over the minute you start eating again because you haven't trained yourself to eat in moderation, you've only trained yourself to swing between two extremes.

I've written some more about starvation mode on my blog today if you're interested.

-- Andy