General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-09-2007, 03:38 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 298/268/150

Height: 5'0"

I don't read the books just prior to seeing the movies for the same reason. I did that once and kept yelling because of all the scenes that were left out. Iwon't be able to see the new movie until Saturday.
TeresaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 245/237/165

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Wow...

Hey Ladies,
I'm a definite fan (if a light weight). I've so been looking forward to the release of the book that I didn't realize (until this weekend) that the movie was coming out this summer. (Go figure.)
I LOVE your theories, Aphil!
I've come to much of the same conclusions. Severus Snape (by name) leads me to believe that Snape will kill & eliminate Nagini (as a Horcrux). Could be "dead" wrong...but I'm enjoying the contemplation.
I've also gone back and forth on Harry as a Horcrux. I think the whole "living" is "not focusing on the other." But I also think that possibly Neville will be the one to actually take Voldemort out. (As the other boy born on the same day as Harry, I think there's a possiblility.) (Therefore if both Voldemort and Neville died, two main characters would die, leaving Harry alive.)
I also think Harry's going to have to learn to "think like a grown-up" (ie, not go off half-cocked with wrong info) but that the one who's going to point this out to him, will be...Voldemort. (Perhaps this is too much PeterPan syndrome in a tween/teen...)
One of the other things I was thinking (WAY off, I'm sure) is that the whole series is about "coming of age" and good vs evil (and the evil within us) type concepts parallelled with love protects/saves. So, what if the way the book ends is that the wizarding universe as they/we know it is "destroyed"? Isn't there a little magic in us all? (I know...it's all wrong...but it's what I've been contemplating...)
What say you fans?
Cammie
ShyCammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I don't think Neville will be the one to take out Voldemort. I am sticking to my guns that he will instead get Bellatrix Lestrange, who put his parents in St. Mungo's permanently with her Unforgiveable Curse. I think that each child/young man, will avange their parents, so to speak. From a literary standpoint it makes more sense to me.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 245/237/165

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Veritas

Excellent point. (I appreciate the balance as well.)
I admit, I'm a lightweight when it comes to HP depth of knowledge. But the characters will forever have adventures in my mind.
I'm looking forward to the film and book now...I'm glad I took the time to read this thread.
ShyCammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 385/238/145

Height: 5'11"

I stayed up last night and saw the movie at 12:01! It was very, very good. On par with PoA. I can't wait for my book to be delivered on the 21st. woohoo!
jaxnlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #126  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Jax me too IT ROCKED!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #127  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

I'm sneaking out of my office to catch a matinee....then I'll be bringing my son and sister later on again this evening. Who knows how many times I'll be able to see it before the weekend arrives : oh the joys of being self-employed!
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Oh, I can't wait to see it. I'm going to try to talk DH into going at 9:15 tonight. I wanted to go at midnight last night, but then the realization hit that with DH and friend's DH out of town, we had to get up at 5:30 to feed the horses and move the steers to a new pasture. Bummer. I did promise him that we'd go see Transformers again, but maybe he forgot!
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:04 PM   #129  
Addicted to potato salad!

I...just...love...Luna!! And her bunny patronus! I loved the movie as much as I loved the book. It wasn't my favorite of the movies (GofA was) or my least favorite (PofA was)...but it was in the middle for me.

What I didn't like about PofA was how different it all was, in my opinion. It seemed more grey toned (if that makes sense) and a little more 'artistic' or something. I hated that the characters were out of uniform so much and loved that they were back in uniform more for this movie. In PofA, though, I loved the whomping willow...specially the bluebird of happiness flying by it and getting whomped. LOL

If I had to rank it, I think it would be my second favorite. And I, officially, have a crush on Harry Potter. Am I too old for that?
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #130  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

so silly Courtnie as always, just clues in OMG LAST HARRY POTTER BOOK! And as always it comes out days before her birthday.....

Anyway, do you guys think I will be able to find it in stores? in previous years I have gotten it for my birthday, but this year I am wondering last book and all... if it will be snapped up in mintues and if I should pre-order the book... thoughts?
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #131  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Courtnie, I hear the total printing of the final book will surpass previous issues as far as volume. I do think you should be able to get it at your local Sam's Club or Costco at way cheaper prices than say Borders--even though you get a few "extras" from Borders (bookmarks, posters, etc.). So my answer would be yes the books will be snapped up in minutes but there will be plenty to go around for everyone.

The movie was pretty good but I ALWAYS get that too condensed feeling... I would have no problem sitting in the theater all day if they made the movie exactly like the book. I'm off to see it again in an hour.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:05 AM   #132  

S/C/G: 385/238/145

Height: 5'11"

I love Luna too! She's soo cute. And wrong. And beautiful. I know someone said it before, but I am still hoping for a match between her and Harry.
I wasn't crazy about the Ginny/Harry connection - but my best friend said that he always thought that they'd get together because that way he could be a part of the Weasley's and that's what Harry's always wanted: to be a part of a real family. So that's nice.
jaxnlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:57 AM   #133  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

I saw the movie at midnight yesterday. I think it was a really good adaptation. I love the darker tones of the movie. Of course it felt a little condensed, and I think they could have safely added anotehr 30 minutes or so. I am disapointed in the lack of attention secondary character development gets...but I understand it is hard to develop so many in such a short amount of time. I wanted to see more elaboration on Harry's disapointment in his father from Snape's memories, more elaboration on WHAT the Order of the Phoenix is...a few other things but I am tired so I am done for now.

PS..I love Luna too!!
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:55 AM   #134  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Responding to techwife:

I didn't like them being in street clothes so much in POA, but I *did* really enjoy the gray tones of everything. The days were all cloudy outside, the inside of the Shrieking Shack, Lupins office...prison, death...I think it was basically an artistic way of setting the tone for the later movies-because the first two, even during the confrontations in the end with the basalisk and Quirrel, were both "cheery" and they came across as a childrens story, still.

Did that make sense?

I love, love, love LUNA!

I have to say-I do wish they would have let the development of the Snape/Maurauders/Lily memory play out a little more, and Harry's disappointment with it-especially when he realized in the book that Snape was right...James was a jerk.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I am so excited I'm going this afternoon with the kids! So nice to have "mustaches", but I'd happily go by myself if necessary. My niece saw it yesterday and said it was good, but she would have happily sat through a 4 hour movie, it felt a little too condensed to her.
Courtnie, when the last book came out, my SIL ordered hers through amazon.com and didn't get it until Monday! She was pissed. Particularly because I waltzed into Kmart and picked mine up Saturday morning. So I think you'll have no problem getting hold of one. That's what I plan to do.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote