TOM/PMS Blues: BOO for the Bloat!

• Question for you chicks: So I think the majority of us experience some level of bloating and water retention the week or two before TOM. Any ideas on how to minimize it?

I know drinking water helps, as does cutting down on salt ingestion..but anything else? Does Midol help with bloat?

Thanks!
  • Geeze I'm not sure if Midol actually helps with the bloat. I would say ask your doctor if there is anything he can recommend. If its painful or that bad, maybe he can give you a water pill??? not sure but a visit to the doc would be my only suggestion.

Since most of my clothes are ut um.... (blush) stretchy I never really "feel" a difference.

• Continuous cycle birth control, baby. I believe in it, I prescribe it, I do it myself!

I do NOT miss my periods. I do choose to have a withdrawal bleed every 4 months or so.

Talk to your gyn provider.

That aside, Yaz and Yasmine have a diuretic built in.
  • Yes, since I started taking Yasmin I have no problem w. bloating, cramps, heavy bleeding... all of my problems which were very bad just went away. And unlike other bcp i have taken - i didn't turn into a psycho of rage and tears. Nothing but good things to say about this particular pill. And I've tried a lot and hated all the others.
  • Since cutting out a lot of the salt I'd been consuming I haven't had any problems with TOM bloat. I eat very little in the sweetener category as well, which I believe is suppose to help. I know it's hard, but cutting down on salt and sugar really help (I routinely consume less than 2000mg of sodium per day.)

As I recall, Midol didn't help with the actually bloating, but it helped with the pain that is associated with the bloat. I haven't taken it in awhile, but that's what I remember.
  • my dr suggested a water pill for that time, and it has worked great for me since i came off of yasmin. If you are on birth control, i HIGHLY recommend this one. It helps with bloating, and also was the first pill that didn't put me on a roller coaster ride every month!

I would talk to you dr or gyn about it. See what option may be best for you