General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:25 PM   #1  
LLV

Default Well this just gets better and better (warning: small rant)

I was just informed by my partner that within 6 month's time he may be working from home.

Where's the twiddling-your-bottom-lip-while-laughing-and-crying-hysterically smiley?

LOL

*shaking my head*

Oh wait, this one works in a pinch , but I could also use a smiley beating itself over the head with a rolling pin. Or maybe an Archie Bunker smiley, where he simulates cocking a gun and ending it all when Edith is sitting there going on and on about nothing.

So much for my quiet and peaceful time alone.

I know a woman whose husband started working from home about 3 months ago and she says she's ready to rip every hair out of her head and run screaming down the middle of the road.

I guess I'm just a very private person and I NEED my time to myself. But between him working from home (soon) and everything else that goes on around here, I'm going to lose that eventually. So if I disappear one of these days, it's probably because I've been committed to an asylum. And yes, twiddling my bottom lip.

Thanks for letting me vent again, I seem to be doing an awful lot of that lately. No real reason for posting this, just needed to get it off my chest and at least you guys listen to me when nobody else does! LOL
Old 05-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

hang in there llv...maybe you should really think about what we talked about yesterday. Or maybe that's a perfect time for you to get even a part time job to get out of the house occasional. I think your SO could at least grant that to you.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Then it sounds to me like you need to get out of the house! I don't know if you work or not, but you could always get an outside-of-the-home job, or there are countless volunteer options in any community.

Of course, he'll probably notice that he's driving you away...!
Old 05-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You might want to look at it as an opportunity instead? Maybe if he was home, then you'd feel more comfortable with getting a job outside the home and establishing independance. Since your son is 7, it doesn't seem like he would need constant supervision but his father would at least be there to watch over him a bit. It wouldn't even need to be a full time job but a part time job. I think it may be helpful for your own sanity as well.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Yep. P/T job. If you are into crafts, get one for the AM at a local craft store. That discount comes in handy.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:53 PM   #6  
LLV

Thanks for the responses so far and I was thinking the same thing! Getting the heck OUT of here for a while.

There's only one little problem - it's going to be very hard for me to find a job because I haven't worked since just before my son was born. I have no references and there's no way I could fill out an application and give dates of where I've worked before or references or anything like that. A resume? Forget it. Most of my jobs have been through temp services. I have no real skills. I could always go back to a temp service, but I'd have to walk in there and say, "Look, I can't give you a resume or even fill out an application properly because I have no proper work history."

And I don't.

So who the heck would hire me? If anyone hires me, it's going to have to be on my word alone. And in the workforce, that just don't get it.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

If you go to the same temp service you worked for before, they would have your work history. My husband's best friend has such a terrible work history I can't believe even the temp agencies would hire him, but he has no problem working for the temp agencies. And they aren't sucky jobs either (I mean they're not high paying, glamour jobs, but for jobs requiring no special skills they're pretty decent stuff, maybe a little boring like factory work, cleaning offices, stuff like that).
Old 05-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

A temp agency is still a good place to start, though. You can at least list the previous agencies you worked for--and your skills--they are always trying to fill jobs with good people.

But do you want a job? That's the other thing.

Oh, BTW, here's that smiley

Jay
Old 05-01-2007, 06:58 PM   #9  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV;1677054So who the heck would hire me? If anyone hires me, it's going to have to be on my word alone. [B
And in the workforce, that just don't get it[/B].
Yes it does.

That expression, "it's not what you know, but who you know" holds some truth. I don't know what you are like in "real life", but here you seem like a pretty personable woman and that can go a long way. You may not have those references, but start thinking about asking around- you never know what will fall in your lap that way.

I've noticed lately that more than looking good on paper, employers want to know and like you. You just need a different outlook No more, of this, "who would hire me" business, ok? You. Can. Do. This.

Also, is there anyone that can help you get your resume/cover letter together? You may not have a whole lot to put on it, but it's important to have one, nonetheless, and to make it count.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:28 PM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
If you go to the same temp service you worked for before, they would have your work history.
I don't remember who I worked for, it was so long ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
But do you want a job? That's the other thing.

Oh, BTW, here's that smiley
I wouldn't mind a job

And thanks for the smiley! I saw that one earlier, but it didn't quite hit the head close enough, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
I've noticed lately that more than looking good on paper, employers want to know and like you. You just need a different outlook No more, of this, "who would hire me" business, ok? You. Can. Do. This.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
Also, is there anyone that can help you get your resume/cover letter together? You may not have a whole lot to put on it, but it's important to have one, nonetheless, and to make it count.
The only person I know that can put resumes together is my partner. In fact, I used to have a resume somewhere, but it's so old and outdated.

I think my favorite jobs that I used to work a LOT of was in dietary of nursing homes. I just like being there to help people who can't really help themselves. I really enjoyed that. But the hours for most nursing homes (in dietary) are, unfortunately, impossible for me. Fulltime is 6am to 2:30pm. Can't do it, I have to be here in the morning to take care of the household and get my son ready for school. The other hours are 11am to 7pm. Can't do that either. There's no way my partner and son would be able to function on their own until I'd get home. Perfect hours for me would be between 9-10am to 2-3pm. I need something part time.

I could always go volunteer at the local dog shelter. My partner used to work there doing some of their computer programming and he knows everyone there. Only thing is, while I'm sure I'd enjoy doing that, I'd really like to find something that's going to make a little extra money.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:44 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Frankly,

A lot of women re-enter the work force after being a SAHM. My mom did it, DH's mom did it and I know others who have done it as well. For your job history, you just fill it in as best you can. You might want to look at government jobs including local government. That would include school districts and what not. You could even go to school if you wanted that way you could get out while DH was working at home.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default the world is yours

LLV, I don't know where in the U.S. you live, but the truth is, there is such a labor shortage almost everywhere, you will find work--especially in the healthcare/long term care arena......dietary aide? I would bet you could work PT..you would probably get called and asked to work more than you want, but it is a whole new world of work out there, even without current experience, as long as you can pass a background check, you are in! I'll bet you......write if you get work.. lol.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 187/187/145

Height: 5'03

I feel ya LLV. My husband drives me crazy too. I love him, but I don't think I would want to be with him 24/7. You'll figure something out. Don't sweat it!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

LINDA....hummm...maybe a little "payback" for your thoughts of late..
Old 05-02-2007, 08:07 AM   #15  
LLV

Eeeeeeeeeeek! Karma!

Thanks for EVERYONE'S suggestions and support, I so appreciate it. I'm sure I'll work something out. Either that or I'll be sent to prison for committing a horrible crime, LOL.

to you all.
Closed Thread