General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 07:40 PM   #1  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Question Best/longest-lasting laser pointer batteries?

Strange question I know, but I just got a laser pointer Saturday 3/24 to exercise my very energetic kitty - and she is now a total ADDICT!

She cries and cries (oi!) if I stop... and leaps to attention as soon as I pick it up. I've had to give her time-outs because she is panting and I'm worried she is going to have a kitty coronary. She's young and healthy but wow!

So, in 6 days, I have almost drained the 2 LR44 batteries the pointer holds... and maybe they were old and sitting on the rack at PetCo inside the pointer case for a long time, but 6 days seems lightweight to me. I used it for maybe 10 minutes a day x 6 = 1 hour. Peeshaw! Is that normal?

Anyone out there with L.P. expertise who can recommend a good set of LR44 batteries, or a better-than-everyday battery brand?

Does it really matter or are all batteries the same inside? Copper Top or not, Energizer or not?

Any battery guidance? I thank you and my energy-crazed furball thanks you!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #2  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Sarah, not sure on the batteries, I usually use Duracell for all my needs. Angie and I made the same mistake with the laser and our golden retriever, Reba...she is obsessed with lights and shadows ~ 3 years old now and still chases lights off glasses, sun rays, shadows, car lights on the walls etc. Our other golden could care less. If we even look like we are going to fet a flashlight REBA goes crazy! we had to throw the laser away after 2 nights...we had no idea...she was just a few months old then. Good luck to you both!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:37 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

When I was in 6th grade, I did an elaborate battery testing scheme on all different types of batteries for a science fair project. My dad walked me through building a whole apparatus with a motor, a fan, a little lightbulb - and I tested all of the batteries (AA) for duration. Duracell was the CLEAR winner, followed by RadioShack brand batteries. Energizers only lasted 2/3 of the time.

I won the science fair :-)
Old 03-30-2007, 02:36 AM   #4  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

No advice on the batteries but Mandalinn's post reminded about an experiment in Uni in which we concocted some sort of battery thingy in a brown medicine bottle that was powered by orange juice. Clearly I was not a Science major because I don't remember much about it at all other than hooking it up to a clock to amaze my family, lol.

And yeah for dads who help their kids win/pass projects!
Old 04-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #5  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

mandalinn, thanks for the battery test results! That's awesome, your test Duracell it is! (Geeky girls rock.)

EZMONEY, so far, she seems normal when I have it turned off. If I see her starting to get weird about light, I will cut her off Good to know!
Closed Thread