General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #1  
cals. in v. cals. out

S/C/G: 157/151/130

Height: 5'6

Question Yaz and PMDD

I'm just curious if anyone has any input. I'm thinking I'm going to switch to see if it helps. I have textbook PMDD and I was wondering if anyone here has found Yaz helps.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #2  
No description available.

Yaz has a diuretic which helps with the water gain and bloating. To really help with PMDD, consider cycle suppression, ie continuous cycle ocps or the mirena iud.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I though YAZ was designed for PMDD treatment. I was going to ask my doctor about it at my next visit, because I have terrible pre and peri menstral symptoms (husband runs for cover, with good reason and I become ravenously hungry for red meat and starchy carbs).

Getting rid of the cycle completely though, sure does sound nice.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #4  

They are marketing is as such, but even their prescribing info notes it hasn't been shown to help much after 3 months. Really, any combined OCP is going to help even out the hormones that promotes PMDD, but Yaz uniquely does have the diuretic factor going for it. So it can help, but so can other pills and none really solve PMDD as well as cycle supression.
(disclaimer: see your midwife or other provider for discussion individual to you)
Old 03-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #5  
cals. in v. cals. out

S/C/G: 157/151/130

Height: 5'6

Thanks ladies. I'm going in on thursday to discuss it with my doctor. I had been told before the merely switching from triphaisic pills to a one doese would help with the mood swings, but getting rid of the bloating would be amazing. I will ask about cycle suprresion, I don't really know anything about that so thanks for the info.
I guess I'll just have to see what the Dr. tells me.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:19 PM   #6  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Midwife, is Yaz the same or similar to Yasmin? I've been prescribed Yasmin in the past year and had no problem w/it in the 8 mos I was on it, in fact, within 2 months of use, it was great for a 1 day only period, thereby reducing my raging hormonal mood swings
Old 03-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by melekalikimaka View Post
Midwife, is Yaz the same or similar to Yasmin? I've been prescribed Yasmin in the past year and had no problem w/it in the 8 mos I was on it, in fact, within 2 months of use, it was great for a 1 day only period, thereby reducing my raging hormonal mood swings

Yes, it is the same for the progesterone which acts like a diuretic. Fewer placebo pills (Yaz vs Yasmin) so you have shorter periods. Many companies are shortening the time for the withdrawal bleeds, but you can do the same thing with generic formulations.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #8  

Location: Ft Campbell KY/Clarksville TN - studying in Vancouver BC

S/C/G: 220/113/100

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
had been told before the merely switching from triphaisic pills to a one doese would help with the mood swings
It really does. I'm a big fan of monophasic pills.

My favourite form of hormonal BC though is the NuvaRing. It's really low in hormones (less side effects!), and it gets the job done. And you only have to change it once every 3 weeks. Double bonus: You can do what's called "stacking" rings to skip your period. Stacking is when you take an active one out and instead of leaving it out for 7 days to have a period you put a new active one in. Kind of like when you take a monophasic pill nonstop to skip your period.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #9  
Pending Email Confirmation

I have been on Yasmin for several years. I was put on it because I was having such painful and heavy flow periods that I had to call out sick from work every month. I'd be in so much pain I'd be throwing up and shaking. It was awful. My Dr. figured it was endo but didn't want to do the test on me to confirm it when she thought that the pill would take care of the problem.
She was so right. I spot most of the time and that's about it, and I rarely have even a small cramp. It's an amazing turn around. I'm kind of a moody raging ***** anyway, so I don't know if it's helped that. I do know that I was a lot worse when taking other pills though.
Hope it works out for you, the worst part is trying different ones until you get one that works for you.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:08 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristesse View Post
It really does. I'm a big fan of monophasic pills.

My favourite form of hormonal BC though is the NuvaRing. It's really low in hormones (less side effects!), and it gets the job done. And you only have to change it once every 3 weeks. Double bonus: You can do what's called "stacking" rings to skip your period. Stacking is when you take an active one out and instead of leaving it out for 7 days to have a period you put a new active one in. Kind of like when you take a monophasic pill nonstop to skip your period.
That's exactly what I do. I love it!!!!
Closed Thread