General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #1  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Question Portland: Ya live there? How do you like it?

Hello everybody!

I am contemplating a move to the Pacific side of things... probably in early 2008... and I have come across Portland several times as a great place to live.

I've spent a week each in Seattle & San Francisco too (both very cool)... but something about Portland really sucks me in. At least in the abstract I have yet to go visit, but I'm planning on taking a vacation there this year, and checking it out.

I like the funky, earthy crunchy people in all three of these cities, and want to live within a short drive to the coast. I'd also like to live somewhere relatively affordable for a graphic designer, without having to share an apartment or part of a house... and somewhere where nature is a huge part of the city. Liberal politics is a bonus too, along with environmentally friendly practices.

If you live in Portland, especially if you are a transplant, how do you like it? What are some of your favorite parts about living there? Any dislikes?

Thanks for any information you may share!
Old 03-11-2007, 04:09 PM   #2  
Pending Email Confirmation

I'm close, in Eugene and I love Portland too. I keep trying to convince my hubby we'd be better off there instead of here. I think you need a trip out here to decide for yourself... but I think you'll find the traffic a little more manageable than SF or Seatown personally... plus like you already mentioned all the wonderfully crunchy inhabitants. (I have them in Eugene too, but honestly lots of them are more crusty than crunchy *LOL*).
My brother-in-law & his wife live there and have found a lot of success and even found a house to purchase that isn't breaking their budget. Of course, they make a fair amount of money so that definately IS something to consider. If money is a concern, you may want to consider one of the places NEAR Portland but not actually IN it.
Wherever you end up in the Pacific Northwest I think you'll enjoy it.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #3  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I lived in Portland for about 8 years and I liked it. I was a transplant from the Eastern parts (Michigan; Minnesota) and definitely liked Portland much better. Especially I liked that people seemed more openminded, there was a lot of diversity, and good music, good food, good outdoor activities and good public transportation. Of course you know about....the rain.....
Old 03-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #4  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

I live about 25 miles south of Portland and I love it here! The beach is only about 1.5 hours away. I'm originally from Iowa, but I love the weather much better in Oregon, even the rain doesn't bother me. I agree that if you can make a visit then you would get to see first hand before you make your final decision.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #5  

eh, i grew up in salem and needless to say, i'll never go back. but my opinion definately outweighs most. :-)
Old 03-11-2007, 10:59 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Love it love it love it

just for the record I grew up in eastern PA and have lived in Ohio, Minnesota, &Texas.

I like Oregon better than anywhere I have ever lived.

Love the weather too, it actually rains less here than cleveland.

It is a bit on the pricey side (cheaper than seattle or sf though), traffic has been getting bad (again better than the other 2 cities). If you are flexible about where you can live there are more affordable areas that are still very nice.

I love that dh took dd to the beach last weekend and I went skiing today.
Closed Thread