3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > General chatter

General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
Committed Maintainer
Christina7806's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 149

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

Default Anyone familiar with divorce laws in NYS?

If anyone here can answer this question, I would greatly appreciate it.

My husband and I own a house. I moved out over 5 years ago and he stayed and paid on it. Now, he is ready to file for divorce which I am absolutely fine with. He wants me to sign a paper releasing me from the mortgage, and I assume he will want me to sign one for the deed as well. My question is this. I do not want the house, I have no interest in fighting for it. However, I would like some kind of compensation for the 10+ years I did live there and worked and took care of the kids so that the mortgage could be paid. I will need to purchase a house (My current job includes all housing but I can't stay here forever). The house is small and we bought it cheaply (60,000 in 1988). Am I entitled to any money or should I just let it go? If anyone has been through this kind of thing, please email me or PM me. Thanks so much!!
When The Pain Of Staying The Same Exceeds The Pain Of Change, You Will Change

Christina7806 is offline  
Old 02-13-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
Senior Member
fitbyforty's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 740

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8


My guess is you are entitled to a portion of the equity you built during that 10 years.I would not sign anything until I talked to a laywer.

My progress pics
fitbyforty is offline  
Old 02-13-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
Senior Member
Ash15+'s Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Caribbean
Posts: 161

S/C/G: 146/138/125

Height: 5'5


I believe that you are entitled to half of the current value of the house. It doesn't matter what you paid for it when you bought it, the current value is what you should look at. Definitly make sure you speak to a lawyer before you do anything, I think you are entitled to more than you think.
Ash15+ is offline  
Old 02-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
EZMONEY's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 21,844

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'


Absolutely consult a lawyer. When my ex left, years ago, she was entitled to half the equity from the time we were married until she left ~ less the down payment, which came from the sale of another home I owned before I met her ~ then nothing after she left, as she didn't contribute to the mortgage. That was in 1989 though in California. Good luck.
As long as I live I will TESTIFY HIS LOVE!
EZMONEY is offline  
Old 02-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
Addicted to potato salad!
techwife's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Northern New York State
Posts: 2,719


Two things. One...get a lawyer. Don't go with sharing one with the soon-to-be-ex husband. You want one that is looking out for YOU.

Two...I believe you are entitled to half the house. Period. My husband divorced in NY and he was entitled to it, but didn't take it. He just wanted out of the marriage and let her keep everything but the snowblower (he has his priorities ) But you are probably entitled to half the house. He would either have to sell it or pay you your half if you persue it. If you only want half of the equity you paid into it, then that's your choice. There is a couple that lived across the street from us and they bought their house about the same time we bought ours. They divorced after about two years and they sold it and split it. In all fairness...it's almost best for a divorcing couple (except for if there's kids involved) to sell, split it and go their separate ways. Who wants to walk around a house with all those memories of a failed marriage? I wouldn't. In my opinion, if there's kids, the custodial parent should stay and raise the kids in the house they're accustomed to, but if no kids are involved, just split and start over, imho.
techwife is offline  
Old 02-13-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
One day at a time
FrouFrou's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Land of Oz
Posts: 9,893

S/C/G: 220/191/186


Nothing really to add to this as I think everyone has said it all. Just talk to a lawyer (not his I say this because a friend of mine used her hubby's lawyer until she finally figured out it wasn't in her best interest) before doing anything and DO NOT sign anything over to him.
FrouFrou is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 AM.

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2