General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:24 AM   #1  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Default Confidence and Superficial Stuff

Probably this will be a rant or just a confused manifesto of how I was sent to the wrong planet by mistake.

I don't have a TV, but I was watching one while cat-sitting and saw an infomercial (watched in fascination) about laser hair removal. (i have excessive body hair - "hirsutism" in my med records - but I wear clothes so who even knows?)

But that is not exactly what I am posting about.

I'm posting about how the 'mercial kept having testimonies of how the people who had it were "more confident" now.

I heard this kind of thing before-everybody wants to be more confident, and a superficial thing will bring them confidence.

My question is: if someone is not confident and they are offered superficial fixes, will it ever end? Why is not the "cure" to get to the root of the lack of confidence instead of to use a superficial fix?
OK- if there is a health risk, sure, it is beneficial to change something, but otherwise.....where does it stop??

I have a friend close to my age (I am 50) and he believes that our generation is the last one to be intact people. (as in not all synthetic parts.) If there is any truth to the new-age woo-woo idea that we choose when to be born, then maybe I chose this life to be one of the last people to be fully intact.

People get the fake boobs, the veneered teeth, the fake whatever.... and yes, sometimes such procedures are for health reasons and we are grateful for the technology. My friend says it will soon be standard procedure for everyone to become standard in body parts very soon as far as the superficial stuff.

But for us right now -- if it is a matter of confidence, where will it end? if you get your weight to where it no longer impedes your confidence, then will you be not confident because of your teeth, or your underarm hair, or....

*one of my eyes squints more than the other
*my earlobes don't match
* there is too much space between my big toe and the toe next to it.
* my legs are too short in ratio to my torso

I mean, where will it all end? Wouldn't it be useful to get to the root of the lack of confidence in first priority before trying to squelch it by a cosmetic procedure that may well work for what it does but only fixes the lack of confidence for a short time, before people find something else to not be confident about??

(Kind of like when you get a new car and it makes you feel good for about 2 weeks and then it's "back to normal")

oh well...

Last edited by Spinymouse; 02-08-2007 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:42 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't have tattoos, I don't have piercings, I don't really plan to get plastic surgery, although I may consider it if I lose enough weight and the lose skin bothers me but I have had laser hair removal (and I posted it in the other thread) mostly because it was really difficult dealing with the hair on my face. I have hairy legs, hairy arms and hairy back but those weren't part of my procedure. I do shave a lot of my hair though.

Anyway, I believe in being as "untouched" as possible and some days I feel as if I've deformed myself with my weight. That is ok, I can work on losing the weight but then I'll have excess skin but even that is ok. I don't care what others do though because that is what they want to do.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #3  
No description available.

Those commercials appeal to the thought that physical perfection is possible and desirable. It is neither. They are trying to make a buck on that myth. Sadly, some of our children are buying into that same myth. I would gather the majority are not interested in the pursuit of the impossible.

But then again, I could be wrong.

The only surgery I have had that could be construed as vanity is Lasik. But it is helpful for my work and exercise, so I'm glad I did it.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:09 PM   #4  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post

The only surgery I have had that could be construed as vanity is Lasik. But it is helpful for my work and exercise, so I'm glad I did it.
I don't consider Lasik a vanity thing, because it doesn't make you look any different. I had it also, but not "so I could feel more confident," but as you say, it was more for practical purposes. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a botched job and I wish I hadn't had it done; so that experience doesn't help my cynicism any.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Those commercials appeal to the thought that physical perfection is possible and desirable. It is neither. They are trying to make a buck on that myth. Sadly, some of our children are buying into that same myth. I would gather the majority are not interested in the pursuit of the impossible.
And then I have this friend who is interest in the pursuit of hirsuit. He even has a sign in his house that says so.

Quote:
I'd LOVE to get Lasik myself. I don't see it as vanity, but sanity surgery. No more of my son pulling my glasses from my face. No more of the recurrent expense. No more sore nose bridge. No more sore ears. No more trying to put on a pair of sunglasses...although I've now discovered the "fits over" sun glasses and LOVE them. No more cleaning...just no more.

I'd love to get a tummy tuck, wouldn't even mind my nose being a bit shorter. Maybe superficial, but I don't need them for confidence. I have one foot larger than the other, it doesn't stop me from dancing. It's not like anyone cares if my foot is larger and will oust me because of it. So that's not going to hurt my confidence. Although I DO have poor balance...hmmm I wonder if there's a correlation. It took getting away from family for a long time to find my confidence. I'm certainly not going to let superficial things get in the way of it. I'd just like the fixes for "me". So I can look at me and say now THAT'S what I'M talking about. LOL Just pleasing to MY eyesight. I could care less if someone else doesn't like the cut of my nose or that the tummy under my clothes might be a bit saggy. It's not like THEY'RE likely to be seeing it.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'd love LASIK, but am afraid to do it. Also, since DH cannot have such surgery (and he has a huge Rx) I feel that it would be unfair for me to have it when he can't. Perhaps if he ever gets a cornea transplant I'll consider LASIK for myself. I'm also considering eyelid surgery as my eyelids are getting droppier and droopier every year.
Closed Thread