My weird cat loves to get weighed.

• I have a brindle tortoiseshell cat. We adopted her from the shelter a year ago, and she is the loviest kitty I've ever seen (though she's just starting to enjoy sitting in laps). I've taught her to sit, and sit up, and walk on a leash (pretty much she taught me how to follow her on a leash). She's also taught us to turn on the sink when she wants a drink, because she hates drinking out of a bowl. Did I mention, she's extremely spoiled?

Anyway, I weigh myself every morning, and a few weeks ago I began setting her on the scale when I was done and ask her to sit to weigh her. I praised her, but never gave her a treat.

Now, when she hears me get out the scale, she comes running at top speed to get on it. I can't even weigh myself first anymore, and she tries to get back on the scale when I'm on it.

It's just so funny seeing her run to get on the scale - I wish I were that enthusiastic about it.
  • That is so cute. I wish I was that enthusiastic to weigh. I haven't ever weighed my cat, he is big. We also have a stray that showed up that we are feeding. His name is now scaredy cat as he hides if we try to touch him.
  • I thought our kitty was a good weight, but our vet said she should really lose 1 lb, so I started weighing her. I also wanted to see how accurate our scale was. Sad thing is, kitty has already lost 1/2 lb, so now I'm jealous of a cat.
  • Colleen, that's hilarious! And I wish I only had to lose a pound like your cat does!

One of my cats loves the blow dryer, and he'll come running whenever he hears me turn it on. I blow my hair a little while, then turn it on him and blow his hair for awhile (not his face, though).

Cats are strange little critters sometimes.
  • lol..anorexic kitty
  • thanks for the laugh, that made my day! so cute!
  • HEeeeee! So how much does your cat weigh? We had a ginger tom who was 14lbs! and he wasn't fat - he was all legs and shoulders Big bully cat he was. Luv'd him though
  • LOL, that is too funny.

I have a huge chocolate labrador that weighs 110 lbs. I only know her weight because I recently had her at the vet. I sure couldn't lift her to weigh her. I get my workout carrying in her huge sacks of dog food. LOL.
  • KiKi (short for kitty kitty, although her "official" name is Miss Speckles) weighs 12 lbs, down from 12.5. She must have a fine "asian" bone structure, or the vet was being a bit paranoid about weight (with two morbidly obese owners, I can guess why). She looks like a "normal" spayed cat to me. Considering each pound on a cat is like ten on us, and I would kill to be only 5 lbs overweight, I'm not too worried about it, though I'm careful about treats.

My mother-in-law who is always on me about my weight (in the "nicest" possible way of course) has a cat that weighs 25 lbs, and weighs more each time we visit. The cat looks like a calico jaba the hut.

KiKi is super spoiled though. We call the apartment "The Kitty Spa," because we found out that the cat loves back massagers. I had bought a massager mat that I didn't like, but the cat did, so I put it under her cat bed.

She also cries when she can see the bottom of the bowl. It's a blue bowl, and if even a pea-sized bit of blue is showing, she'll cry. Since she sometimes eats straight down, the bowl can be really full, so a little shake and the bowl is covered, and she's happy.

My husband and I are both on disability, so we spend a lot of time at home, so she has no shortage of attention. Still if one of us leaves the apartment, even to get the mail, she'll look at the one remaining and "complain," loudly.

She's a hoot and a half.
  • Dang! Now I know why the vet wanted my cat on a diet. She "only" weighed 30 pounds.
  • My vet was upset because our kittie was at about 13.5 or so... she's lost a couple lbs but still needs to lose a few more. She begs constantly for food now that we put her on a diet... I feel bad for her and sometimes feed her anyway making the begging that much worse.

Sometimes on the weekend she thinks we've been in bed too long she'll start singing to us... we don't let her in our room... it's kind of funny. She makes the weirdest little noises.

I love hearing all the quirks of other people's kitties... makes my own kittie seem a little less schitzo She used to love playing in the shower after someone would get out and it'd still be a wet. Then she got in trouble and got a shower of her own once, and that stopped that. *LOL*
  • I have four cats - all are fed the exact same way and don't get table scraps. Three of the four are normal weight, but our CHUNKY MONKEY cat is 16 lbs!!! The vet put her on a dietary formula, and we stuck with it for a month, brought her back, and she had GAINED weight. He said that she was supposed to be taking it OFF not putting it ON!!! He attributed her gain to a decrease in activity. Sigh. The interesting thing is that she was born in our home, and her mother and her natural half-sister are part of our home. They are, of course, normal weight. So the Chunky Monkey must take after her father, wherever HE is...Interesting how genetics work....
  • That is too cute!

We can't ever get our dog on the scales, not even at the vet! He is scared o death of them.