3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > General chatter

General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:31 PM   #31
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

It annoys me that they put the diaper changers in the handicap stalls...I know some restaurants have very little room, but quite often there would be PLENTY of room outside the stalls, or if they even removed a stall. I've often thought, while in there dealing with a major blow out that requires an entire change of clothing and an entire tree worth of wipes, that if someone needed to use this stall they would be seriously ticked.

Journey to the next decade:

New "decades":
Old 02-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #32
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I admit that before becoming "disabled" that I did use the handicapped stall at times because I was too fat to fit in the regular stall. I never used a handicapped stall if there was a handicapped person waiting to use it. Since losing weight, I consider it a privilige to fit in the regular stall and always use it.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88618

^^ My new before and current photos! ^^
Old 02-03-2007, 10:56 PM   #33

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

When it comes to bathrooms, I'm an equal opportunity abuser. If the place I'm going has available normal size stalls available then I use them. If the place has built the stalls so small they resemble Tic-Tac containers, I use the handicapped one but make it a point to hurry up. If the women's bathroom is full and there's a line, heck, I go in the mens. If I gotta go, I REALLY GOTTA GO!!!

Tiki
Old 02-03-2007, 11:00 PM   #34
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Oh for crying outloud gals! don't you get it? The bathrooms for women are designed by and built by men ~ we make them the way they are and will continue to do so because it is the only POWER we have over you...watching you squirm! from time to time..."want another drink dear?"
Old 02-04-2007, 12:22 AM   #35

I guess we knew that -- we paid you guys back by frequently "forgetting" to give you doors and stalls in yours

Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:54 AM   #36
Pending Email Confirmation

i'd take a cramped stall over a urinal any day!

while we're on peeves and the bathroom... please for the love of all that is holy and right in the world do not have a conversation with me while you're going to the bathroom. once we're out, i'll talk to you again. don't talk on your cell phone. and if you have kids and they are running around sticking their heads under my stall wall, they might get kicked.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:04 AM   #37

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It can be hard not to judge when we see what "obviously" seems like severe laziness or abuse of handicap priveledges, and I think most of the time, we're probably right. But when the obvious isn't true, judging easily becomes misjudging, and peeves become prejudices.

When I was far less overweight than I am now, I had a boss gripe about people using the elevator to go down a couple floors (she always rode up, but walked down). I pointed out to her that I, and many other many people with arthritis and other knee problems were much more likely to climb stairs than go down them, because walking down was much more painful than walking up).

My father-in-law has MS, and while he's overweight now, from being wheelchair bound, he was a pretty fit looking man when he first started getting sick. He and I have talked alot about the special needs of the handicapped, and I must admit he gave me the bulk of my "education," on not judging people who don't appear handicapped. There are many ways a person's strength, stability, mobility and dexterity can affect how long they can sit, stand, and walk; and whether they can use "normal" bathroom stalls.

Bathroom stalls in general are my pet peeve, because so few are even normal size (even my 125 lb sister gripes about this). Some are so tiny, you almost have to back in. Then, there's the metal trash bin on one wall, and a HUMONGOUS toilet paper roll dispenser on the other wall, set so low you can hardly reach the paper - and Lord help you if you're left handed (which I am). I've seen some stalls that I wonder who besides a 95 lb gymnast could use them).

Even at my current weight, I never used handicapped stalls (unless the gymnast stalls were the only alternative) until I started having stability issues. Now, if I slipped in a regular stall, they'd need the "jaws of life," to get me out of there.

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
Old 02-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #38
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
When I was far less overweight than I am now, I had a boss gripe about people using the elevator to go down a couple floors (she always rode up, but walked down). I pointed out to her that I, and many other many people with arthritis and other knee problems were much more likely to climb stairs than go down them, because walking down was much more painful than walking up).
I have depth perception issues myself (besides knee problems) and at one of the old buildings i worked at, they had stairs that were carpet with a funky pattern. I really had a hard time distinguishing one stair from another when walking down them. So I'd usually walk up them but I'd never walk down them. I currently work at a building with stairs that are easier to distinguish from eachother so I don't have a problem.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:01 PM   #39

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losingme View Post

Pet Peeve #2 - Perfectly healthy and able bodied people who use the handicap stall in public restrooms. There's a reason that these are designated for the disabled. There's no worst feeling that having to use the smaller stalls and be afraid of not being able to stand up without assistance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I use the handicapped stalls if the others are taken or I have the stroller-they dont usually fit in a normal stall. Thats also usually where the changing tables are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
It annoys me that they put the diaper changers in the handicap stalls...I know some restaurants have very little room, but quite often there would be PLENTY of room outside the stalls, or if they even removed a stall. I've often thought, while in there dealing with a major blow out that requires an entire change of clothing and an entire tree worth of wipes, that if someone needed to use this stall they would be seriously ticked.
My name is Aphil, and I use the handicapped bathroom stalls. I also use the larger, handicapped fitting rooms in stores. However, I do use common sense. I do not use them if a handicapped person is in there and needs it.

The reason why? Namely, because I have small children, and if I am in a public bathroom, it is normally on a day long excursion with my family. For one, in 80% of public restrooms, they put the diaper changing station in the handicapped stall. I am not changing my baby on the germy bathroom floor. Second, there are now the new "baby seats" that are on the wall sometimes in the handicapped stalls as well. Basically, if you haev never seen one, it is somewhere to strap your baby/toddler in, while YOU pee.
If I have the stroller with me, they don't fit in a regular stall. I am not leaving my infant, or my 5 year old sitting out alone in the main area of a pubic restroom. Think about it-if I am IN the stall, and someone came in and snatched my baby or child, I would not have the ability to give a description of the person who did it. In the larger stall, my young child/children can be in there with me, and I know that they are safe. I also know they are not running around, peeking under other stalls, playing in the soap dispenser, or otherwise being like the other children around that annoy me to no end.

However, if I am child-free (which RARELY is the case) I will use the regular stall.

Start weight after baby #3: 233.9
Current weight: 143
90 pounds lost!
Ambriehl Saroj
Old 02-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #40
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby897 View Post
I guess we knew that -- we paid you guys back by frequently "forgetting" to give you doors and stalls in yours
Hey yeah SHELBY ~ What about us shy guys?
Old 02-04-2007, 02:26 PM   #41

You know, I haven't been on here too long -- but I think I've picked up one thing --- you are NOT one of those shy guys!!!

Back to the abuse of handicap stalls, parking spots, etc. You know, since you really don't know what someones handicap is -- I try not to assume too much -- but I also would like to comment on the individuals who will walk right past a handicapped person struggling to open a door, an elderly person struggling to load groceries, or a mother with a stroller, bags and small kids tyring to get in/out of somewhere. I prefer to concentrate on helping them out instead of worrying who parked where.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #42
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby897 View Post
Back to the abuse of handicap stalls, parking spots, etc. You know, since you really don't know what someones handicap is -- I try not to assume too much -- but I also would like to comment on the individuals who will walk right past a handicapped person struggling to open a door, an elderly person struggling to load groceries, or a mother with a stroller, bags and small kids tyring to get in/out of somewhere. I prefer to concentrate on helping them out instead of worrying who parked where.
Since one of my pet peeves is someone not putting their shopping carts back, if I'm going into a store and I pass someone who looks like they are about to put the shopping cart other than where it should be, I'll offer to take it for them. I will also grab a shopping cart if I pass one that is out of place. I figure since it bothers me, at least I can be the one that will do what others should do.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:11 PM   #43
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
My name is Aphil, and I use the handicapped bathroom stalls. I also use the larger, handicapped fitting rooms in stores. However, I do use common sense. I do not use them if a handicapped person is in there and needs it.

The reason why? Namely, because I have small children, and if I am in a public bathroom, it is normally on a day long excursion with my family. For one, in 80% of public restrooms, they put the diaper changing station in the handicapped stall. I am not changing my baby on the germy bathroom floor. Second, there are now the new "baby seats" that are on the wall sometimes in the handicapped stalls as well. Basically, if you haev never seen one, it is somewhere to strap your baby/toddler in, while YOU pee.
If I have the stroller with me, they don't fit in a regular stall. I am not leaving my infant, or my 5 year old sitting out alone in the main area of a pubic restroom. Think about it-if I am IN the stall, and someone came in and snatched my baby or child, I would not have the ability to give a description of the person who did it. In the larger stall, my young child/children can be in there with me, and I know that they are safe. I also know they are not running around, peeking under other stalls, playing in the soap dispenser, or otherwise being like the other children around that annoy me to no end.

However, if I am child-free (which RARELY is the case) I will use the regular stall.
Oh C'mon Aphil, you are a mom, you are not ALLOWED to pee

Yeah exactly what you said. I guess in most places they are the handicapped/baby stall. Which if you think of it, having to haul around a couple toddlers is a pretty serious handicap.

Journey to the next decade:

New "decades":
Old 02-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #44

Parking spaces I think should definitely be handicap reserved only, but I just think the larger bathroom should be considered for anyone who has difficulty fitting in the "claustiphobia chambers" they call stalls. That to me is handicaped, anyone toating one or more kids, and those of us who are a little weight-challenged and can't safely turn ourselves around in a normal stall without dipping our clothes in the toilet or smack in the head with the door trying to get out . A grocery store near us has "parent parking", next to the handicap parking for people traveling with a car full of kids, which I find very considerate.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #45
Pending Email Confirmation

I've seen expectant mother's parking spots too. I think that's pretty cool.

I am so going to say I'm "weight-challenged" instead of fat from now on... that made me laugh...
Closed Thread