General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #1  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Need Some Reassurance....

I recently got a treadmill, and I'm living with my boyfriend/fiance and his parents at the moment, the treadmill was too big in our room, so it was moved to the spare bedroom beside our room...I opened my big mouth and told my boyfriends mom that she could use it if she wanted, and of course she suggested we work out together...and it's not that I don't want to b/c of her...it's just I'm really self-conscious about it, I won't even work out with my boyfriend in the room, it is something I prefer to do alone.

I didn't say anything to her b/c I didn't want to be rude or hurt her feelings and I didn't know if she would get mad or try to talk me into working out with her even though that will make me dread working out...I told my boyfriend about it, and asked if he could nicely explain it to his mom for me (even though my boyfriend and I have been together 5 years I'm still not very comfortable around his mom or stepdad...I'm a very shy person and we don't always agree and get along so telling her how I felt would be hard for me)

Anyway...I need some reassurance that it is ok for me to want to workout alone and not want to take her up on her offer to work out together right now, I feel absoloutly horrible about this...but it is just something I prefer to do by myself right now...I'm not a horrible person b/c of this am I???
Old 01-19-2007, 02:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 262/see ticker/153

Height: 5'6"

There is absolutely nothing to feel bad about. I'd be the same exact way!! Unfortunately, I don't get a choice because the work out room we have is in the front office of our apartment complex.... and I can't ask people to leave...lol. It's completely your perogative to want to work out alone. And, your boyfriends mother shouldn't feel angry or upset or hurt that you don't take her up on her offer.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I prefer to work out alone at home as well. That's why I don't exercise on Saturdays--I sleep in and then everyone is up....I don't have similar problems going to a gym, though. Don't feel bad if you prefer to be alone. And I'm sure if you don't say anything to your future MIL, and you just go in and use your treadmill and shut the door, that she won't be offended.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #4  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Ditto

You shouldn't feel bad at all. Some people do better with an exercise buddy and some like be do it alone. I get in my moods and while I prefer to do it alone I don't always. I go to It Figures 3-4 days a week and sometimes there are people there. At first I didn't want to work out in front of people but the more I did it the more it didn't bother me. When I work out at home I don't want anyone in the room. But some days I just don't care. Well, if it's the kids. DH I don't want him watching me, lol.

It just depends on the person and what they/you prefer. And you don't have to feel bad for wanting to exercise alone. You SO's mom should understand that and please, don't feel horrible.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #5  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

S/C/G: 262/198/160

Height: 5'7"

I like to work out alone also, but sometimes working out with others helps motivate you more! I recently joined the YMCA, and I am nervous working out in front of so many people..but then I think..they are there for the same thing! Why should I feel embarrassed? Just go with the flow, worry about your own self. Easier said than done, but..still. heh.

If you feel the need to exercise alone, then just tell her in the nicest way possible. Tell her you do better by yourself, and that it's not that you don't want to spend that time with her...it's just something you have to do alone. If she is an understanding person..well..she should understand.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:37 AM   #6  

You need to set your own boundaries and quit expecting your boyfriend to. This is not his problem and you should not make it his problem. If you don't want to do something, you need to say so and stick by it. That is not being mean or rude.
Closed Thread