we got the house!!!!!

• my and chris(db) have been looking for a house to buy or rent for the last 6 months and everyone has turned us away b/c we are not married. i was riding around yesterday looking for house/duplex to rent (our lease is up next month and we have to move, we hate the apt we are in now and it's the size of a small child, we have more things in storage than in the apt!!!!) when my daddy returned a phone call from the day before; he asked what i was doing, i told him then i asked him if he new anyone with a house for rent, he said that there was a sign just put up at the end of the road that said house for rent. my father still lives in the house i grew up in, when we were all together. i was on the other side of town and told him i would be there later to see which one it was, he said it may be the one next door. i freaked out and said i don't want to live next door!! (a man killed himself in the bedroom last year over there) i told him i might come over and i thought about not going but i went anyway. i pulled up to the sign called the number and spoke with the landlord, i told him i was down the street and was on my way. i went and looked at the house, talked to the man, we scheduled a second meeting with all of us (him, his wife, me and chris) for today at 6pm. i went down the street to my dad's and told him, i took him down to see the house before the guy left, he went down there and did his "i'm the dad coming to make sure this house is good enough for my daughter" check and talked to the guy and told him that we can all meet today at 6:30 to sign the papers and give him the deposit. (we live on a strict budget and we don't have $400 laying around so my daddy's going to give it us until the end of the month) i'm sorry this is so long, we are just so excited!!!! it's a 3b 1b house with a huge backyard for our baby to run around in (a yorkie-poo named precious, we don't have any kids!!!) a patio, a one car garage, and a beautiful front yard for my flowers. it's only $550 a month with no pet deposit or breed restr., compared to the 2b 1b duplex's we have seen that were $675 a month with a $500 security deposit and a $500 pet deposit. this is a wonderful deal and we feel very blessed to have recieved it. GOD IS GOOD!!! oh yea, one more good thing is, when i was in high school i used to run track and for extra practice at home i would run around the school block a couple of times (there is a elem. school right across the street and the block is the same size of a football field, so four times around is a mile) we now have to get the water and gas turned on in our name, we have always lived in an apt. so we have never had to to this before (i fell so grown now ) this is going to be the start of something beautiful!!! i luv you ladies!!!
  • Congratulations!!! I don't know what the cost of living is where u live, but for a 3 bedroom - that's a steal!! I hope everything works out for you and your boyfriend in your new home!!!!
  • Congrats! Sounds like the perfect place. I didn't know that it was legal to deny renting a house based on marital status?

Have fun getting settled in!
  • Congrats to you! It is so exciting to live in a HOUSE when you lived in an apartment!
  • WOOHOO! So happy for you getting the house!
  • Congratulations! How exciting for you both Have fun settling in to your new place.
  • Quote: my and chris(db) have been looking for a house to buy or rent for the last 6 months and everyone has turned us away b/c we are not married.
    I have a problem with this.

First, congrats on getting the house! Hmmm, wonder how long before you complain about yardwork.

The problem I have is that it sounds like more discrimination. What if you were a same sex couple? Would you be turned away for having gotten married?

I'm glad you found some place that will accept you as you are and that you have a Dad who is willing to help.

Now with packing, loading, moving, unloading, unpacking and trips to storage, you shouldn't have to worry about the gym for a day or two.
  • WOW! Here in southern California you would be lucky to get a room in a house for that! Enjoy your new "HOME!"
  • mare i feel the same way you do, but as i have come to learn there is nothing you can do about other people's ignorance. we both have stable jobs and make good money, but who cares about that.....WE GOT THE HOUSE!!!!!! thanks to all of you for your continued support!!
  • Quote: Congratulations!!! I don't know what the cost of living is where u live, but for a 3 bedroom - that's a steal!! I hope everything works out for you and your boyfriend in your new home!!!!
    My thoughts exactly. We just recently moved back to WV. We've been in NH and VA. We paid $940/mo. plus some utilities for a 2 BR 2nd floor apt. in NH, and $900/mo. and all utilities for a 3 BR 1 Bath in VA. So I told hubby that WV was cheaper. We ended up back in a 2 BR, so had to put stuff in storage until we could buy our house. But it was what you're paying for the 3 BR. And this 2 BR wasn't much either. That back was an add on to put a bath in downstairs since they split the upstairs with the original bath into a separate apt. And they didn't put a foundation under it. So you took a bath DOWNHILL! The baby bed was on 3" of blocks to make it sit straight. LOL I told him WV coined the phrase "lean-to".
  • Quote: I have a problem with this.

First, congrats on getting the house! Hmmm, wonder how long before you complain about yardwork.

The problem I have is that it sounds like more discrimination. What if you were a same sex couple? Would you be turned away for having gotten married?

I'm glad you found some place that will accept you as you are and that you have a Dad who is willing to help.
    I'm surprised in this day and age. Hubby and I rented 2 places before we married. We never ran into anything like that. I figured that kind of idiocy was long dead. Money is money. Just because they weren't married???? I wonder if she lives deep in the Bible belt.

Quote: Now with packing, loading, moving, unloading, unpacking and trips to storage, you shouldn't have to worry about the gym for a day or two.
    That's certainly the truth. I put exercise on hold for almost 2 months. I just started back over a week ago. Bought our house Nov. 10 but had extensive remodeling to do before we could move in. Moved in on 12/16 and went on vacation on 12/17. LOL Now that we're in, we've been unpacking and finishing some projects. I don't know which hurts my muscles more, the stair stepper or sawing baseboards. LOL
  • Congrats, thats awesome!
  • Quote: mare i feel the same way you do, but as i have come to learn there is nothing you can do about other people's ignorance. we both have stable jobs and make good money, but who cares about that.....WE GOT THE HOUSE!!!!!! thanks to all of you for your continued support!!
    It truly is nice to see you have a healthy attitude about ignorant people, but this bugs me too. It is discrimination and there is something you can do about it. Least of all - report the ones who discriminated against you in hopes they won't always do this to people!!!!!!