General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 12:45 AM   #16  

Good thinking!

Liz
Old 12-19-2006, 03:42 AM   #17  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz321 View Post
I hate cards that are just signed with a name....depressing!
Or even worse, when people can't even be bothered to sign their name! These days we get cards where the names are pre-printed on the card (and who knows what they had to pay to have that done--probably more than $.51 a card). I tell myself that it's nice to get the card (who doesn't like getting mail and sometimes the pictures on the front are pretty), but I am always a little disappointed.

I always include a personal note or a letter. I figure if I can't be bothered to send a personal note, why am I sending the card at all. That's how I keep the card list to 10-15 people. Isn't the whole point to try to keep in touch?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:00 AM   #18  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

You wanna know whats even worse? I received a postcard from a friend and heres the best part, it wasn't even a holiday postcard, it was one of those from Sears. It does say I can use it to get one free picture taken, but still......I would at least put that inside a card, not send that as my Christmas Card!

I dunno, guess its the thought that counts, right?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:16 PM   #19  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Really? I love all the Xmas cards I get. The one with a braggy newsletter, the ones from people who use a computer to print name and addresses, the ones from people I can barely remember who they are. Makes me feel the world is just a tiny bit smaller. I even like the emailed newsletter. I print them out and put them over the fireplace with all the "real cards"

Just like the christmas cheer, however it comes.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:45 PM   #20  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
...I figure if I can't be bothered to send a personal note, why am I sending the card at all. That's how I keep the card list to 10-15 people. Isn't the whole point to try to keep in touch?
Amen!!

I sent out 19 this year, complete with notes inside that took me a lot longer to write than I remembered it all taking last year; 3 nights!... and so far got 3. Bah! Nobody writes RealMail anymore, it's all e-mail. Poopy!

Pretty soon, I'll be turning into Miss Manners II, pining for personalized stationary, fountain pens and wax seals. Hmm, might have crept up on me already
Old 12-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #21  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

I sent out about 40. I send pictures of the kids (this year we even had a family photo taken). This year I bought photo cards that came with our names on them, it saved me a ton of time! I like getting cards, but I want people to know we are thinking of them over the Holidays. There are only 4 people who I don't see and it is the only time we keep in touch. I wish I had the time to personalize them all, I really do, but I am not that good.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:11 PM   #22  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatron243 View Post
I sent out about 40. I send pictures of the kids (this year we even had a family photo taken). This year I bought photo cards that came with our names on them, it saved me a ton of time! I like getting cards, but I want people to know we are thinking of them over the Holidays. There are only 4 people who I don't see and it is the only time we keep in touch. I wish I had the time to personalize them all, I really do, but I am not that good.
Amen !!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:20 PM   #23  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm sure I'll get to a point where I don't have time to personalize them. I'm happy for every card I receive - heck, they have to be addressed, right? So Someone is thinking of me while they look up my address, write it on the envelope, and stick on the stamp, and thats enough...I just happen to be in a place in my life where I have the time to personalize them, so I do.

And cards with pictures are the best!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:06 PM   #24  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I do the printed cards at times...but I will do the family name and a message and then sign our individual names. As far as a message...I do a short newsletter to catch everyone up on our lives...people that we don't see often. And most years we do the picture card as well. We took a break for two years, not sure why...but did this year, just me and hubby. Can't get the kids in to get a picture anymore. But I always include them in a card, not just an envelope.

Someone mentioned taking people off the list...I used to go by the "two year rule" if you hadn't received a card from a person in the last two years to not send anymore. Well, it was those times that I was going to cross some off my list when I received a card with a messege and they appreciated that we always thought of them, it meant a lot to them even though they didn't always send cards. So it totally depends on the person/people.

I get tired of the holidays at times but never of sending cards. I love to send Christmas cards, lol! I love to dress up the envelope with matching address labels and seals and the newest Christmas stamp. That and being with my family are the best things about the holidays for me!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:43 PM   #25  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I dont remove people if they dont send me cards usually. It depends on their category. I mean there certainly have been years when I didnt do cards.

I guess I remove people who I have no meaningful relationship with (ex work contacts) who I havent even gotten email or anything for a few years. And who arent potential business contacts I will need if I ever reenter the workforce.

Its really hard for me to remove people.

And like Manda, this year's cards did serve double duty...I used them as birth announcements too. And of course to send out pics of my gorgeous children...

About 30 of mine are professional contacts. About 30 are people I chat online with every day but this way they get a "real picture" and about 20 of mine are remote family members that I really have never met, but keep in touch with out of courtesy to my dad's memory. The rest usually get the generic card because that has the Xmas photo and
then quite often get a second personalized card if we exchange gifts.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:32 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

This year, we sent out about 30. That number will, I'm sure increase with time, but I'm happy with it for now. I enjoy getting any kind of card possible...it lets me know that someone is at least thinking about us. Taking some time out to lick an envelope and stick a stamp is all the time I need for someone to spend on me!

Its just myself and DH, so I just jot a little note of well wishes and then sign our names. I wanted to do a newsletter, but I think I'll save that for next year when we'll hopefully have a little bundle of joy to talk about!
Old 12-20-2006, 03:32 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 192/look at siggy/135

Height: 5'2"

I think I sent out about 40. All included a picture of Hayden with Santa.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #28  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Too much going on this year that it was a rush job and I didn't count. Somewhere between 40 and 50 I'd guess. Probably missed a few. We always create our own. We stuck with that this year, but only a small postcard style. I didn't have time to design and print full cards. So here's a question...how far does everyone send their cards? LOL I've gone as far as New Zeland and Australia. This year's longest however was Hawaii.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #29  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I had one card go to Spain, one to Taiwan, and one to Guam. Spain was kind of cheating, though, as it was sent on a plane with someone who was going to visit the person who is there...still, my card arrived!
Old 12-21-2006, 05:19 PM   #30  

I sent out 30... I try to put a personal note in all of the cards. Some notes are longer than others, but it's still a handwritten note none the less.
Closed Thread