Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-27-2006, 10:31 PM   #1  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Default Sugar

How many grams of sugar is everyone consuming on a daily basis? I try soooo hard to stay within 40 grams a day. But more than not, I usually go to 50. 1 glass of skim milk has 11 grams. A small banana has 12 grams. I'm trying really hard. HELP!!!! 90% or more of my daily consumption is natural sugar. I just want to keep my risk of diabetes at bay. I'm going to discuss this with my doctor in a couple of weeks.

Any advice until then?
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

From what I understand, the major culprit in diabetes is carbohydrates like white rice, potatoes, starchy fruits and vegetables. Choose berries over bananas, barley over rice.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

According to Nutridiary, over the past 10 weeks, I have consumed an average of 85 grams of sugar a day (low:31, high: 134). I don't eat a lot of processed sweets and a lot of mine comes from fruit, dairy, etc.

Your doctor will be able to better advise you, but there are a lot of resources about diabetes and blood sugar online.

Check out the American Diabetes Association: http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp

and their page on Sugar:
http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-an...tion/sugar.jsp
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:44 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Over the past week (not including Thanksgiving, which was an off-plan day for me), I averaged about 70 grams of sugar per day. I don't know the first thing about diabetes, but I'm not sure all sugar is considered bad. Fruits and veggies often have a lot of sugar but are an important part of a healthy diet. For example, today I've consumed about 75g of sugar, but 56g are from fruits and veggies (not starchy ones, either--raspberries, a pear, swiss chard, white beans, onions, butternut squash, cucumbers, and tomatoes) and 10g are from dairy; only 10g are from what I think of as traditional carb-type products (e.g., bread, pasta, cereal, etc.).

My biggest single source of sugar today was a 10-oz asian pear which had a whopping 28g of sugar (but it sure tasted good! ) None of my sugar came from dessert-type products, the carb-type sources were a whole grain cereal, a whole grain low calorie muffin-type thingy, and balsamic vinegar.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:31 PM   #5  
it's always something

The World Health Organization recommends no more than 10% of your daily calories from added sugars. This does not include the sugars naturally present in dairy, whole fruits, and other foods. If you are on a whole foods diet, then you are probably cooking a lot of your foods from scratch, so you can see how much sugar, honey, juices (when used for sweetening) that you cook with. They would suggest that you count those, and don't count the sugar in your milk and bananas.

They released a HUGE report on the effects of sugar on health around the world, and found the 10% recommendation optimal for health. The soft drink industry had a fit when they released it, insisting we should include 25% added sugars daily
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:24 AM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby1972 View Post
How many grams of sugar is everyone consuming on a daily basis?
I have no idea.

I don't really eat that much sugary stuff, unless I get a sweet tooth and grab a cookie or a snack-sized chocolate bar or something. But I know there are 'hidden' sugars in other foods. I don't keep track of it, though.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #7  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Thank you ladies. You all made me feel much better. I am going to discuss this with my doctor. I just wasn't sure how I should be feeling about consuming over 40 grams a day. But, if it's 90% natural, I should be ok.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Libby1972; 12-23-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

4 calories per gram of sugar, isn't it? I think that's what it is. If so, 40 grams of sugar is only 160 calories of sugar. That's 10% of a 1600 calorie diet. Still only 13% of a 1200 calories. I don't think you'd have anything to worry about, especially since it sounds like it's mostly 'naturally occuring'.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote