Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #61  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

So, enlighten me. What makes this stuff worse than other forms of sugar, such as glucose syrup?
Old 11-13-2006, 06:19 PM   #62  
LLV

Deep-fried vegetables.

I mean...... they're still vegetables, right???

Old 11-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #63  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, the bread search. Yeast needs some sugar in order to make the bread rise, so really what you're looking for is a more natural sugar (not HFCS) and one that's pretty far down the list of ingredients. I like to bake my own bread, and usually I use honey for the sugar source.

I love rice, esp Asian type sticky rice. We have been using brown rice more often though, and I'd really like to find a sticky brown rice. Anyone know of any?
Old 11-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #64  
Meg

Pat, sticky rice is short-grain rice (I think) and I've found short-grain brown rice in the health food section of my grocery store. The brand is Lundberg Farms. I'm not sure it's as sticky as your sticky rice though.

Do you use a rice cooker? I mine!
Old 11-13-2006, 07:48 PM   #65  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmmm, I'll look for that. I usually just cook my rice on the stove, and make double or triple batches and refrigerate/freeze the extra. I'd love a rice cooker but first I have to get by the "what, another kitchen appliance?" chorus.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:39 AM   #66  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

A rice cooker is invaluable! I couldn't live without mine but that is partly because DF loves rice. Last night, he made 2 cups of brown rice (which turns into like 4 cups of rice) for 1 day of eating!(1 dinner, 1 lunch for each of us) I think I'll freeze some because there is no way we can eat that much rice.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #67  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

I make my rice on the stove, too. I considered a rice cooker, but I love to have freshly cooked rice for dinner everyday, and I don't think I cook enough rice to make a rice cooker worthwhile (0.25 cups uncooked). I'm not even sure you can cook that little in a rice cooker. However, if you're going to freeze it, eat it multiple times per day, or cook for more than one person, it might be worth it.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:04 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 365/345/half-marathon

High Fructose Corn Syrup...well, admittedly - there are several schools of thought on HCFS. Some people feel that sugar (i.e. anything ending in -ose) is sugar and there is no difference. My feeling is that #1 its artificially created and I try to eat only whole foods, #2 its sneaky and is in so many things where sugar does not need to be (like Stove Top stuffing) and #3 it fails to leave us with a feeling of fullness - I know I could always drink a ton more reg. Coke than Diet Coke - and still feel like I needed more food).

I don't have all the science to back it up but just these few ideas were enough for me to learn to pass on it.

From Dr.s Oz and Roizen (of the You on a Diet book)...

"As it turns out, our love affair with high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) may be linked to the obesity epidemic. The sweetener is made when fructose, a type of sugar, is added to glucose, the natural sugar in corn. HFCS is found in abundance in sodas and many processed foods, from cookies to yogurt. But HFCS has none of the healthy stuff found in corn, and studies suggest fructose is more likely to make you fat than glucose. If HFCS is listed as one of the first five ingredients on a food label, don't eat it."
Old 11-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #69  
MasterHarper

I've never even heard of it . . .

*goes to check cupboards*
Old 11-14-2006, 01:59 PM   #70  
hara hachi bu

The Elusive Bread Search: I look for 100% whole grain and I try to make sure it has 2 grams of fiber for every 15 grams of carbohydrates. Now ... good point on checking for HCFS! I'm going to ask for a bread maker for Christmas this year.

Rice Cooker: I use a steamer to cook my rice. Is there a difference?

The Original Topic: My list includes (depending on the year) juice, croissants, bagels/muffins or anything blown up into an exorbitant sizes by restaurants or delis, granola, "salads", low-fat or fat-free desserts (huge quantities will STILL make you fat, LOL), handfuls of trail mix.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:08 PM   #71  
LLV

My bottom line here is this: everything in moderation and just watch your calories. Bagels and breads and all that stuff CAN put weight on you, yes - if you eat too much of it and if the amount you eat exceeds the calories you need for energy. You can get fat eating vegetables and all of those low-cal/sugar-free desserts or you can lose weight eating pasta and potatoes.

I don't eliminate anything, I just eat it (the "sinful" foods, that is) in extreme moderation. Meaning yes, I still eat bagels and Taco Bell and rice and potatoes and pasta and bread and things with sugar - I just don't eat them very often. I eat 90% good, 10% bad. 90% of the time I eat lean meats, veggies, whole grains and very carefully watch my fat intake. 10% of the time I'm grabbing Taco Bell or a hamburger or a sub or eating a couple pieces of pizza.

I'm in this for life and I refuse to give up ANY food. I've just trained myself when to eat them (meaning how often) and how much of it I eat. I used to be able to sit and eat almost a whole pizza to myself. Now I just stick with one or two pieces. Or like with candy; instead of eating a big huge candy bar, I pop a couple of Hershey Kisses or a small handful of M&M's or one of the snack-sized candy bars and that's usually enough to satisfy the need to have something sweet in my mouth.

For me, many many MANY times in the past, deprivation=failure. I swore off all of those foods and I'd eventually fall off the wagon and gain all of my weight back and then some (which is how I ended up at 220 pounds). But now that I'm allowing myself these foods in moderation, I don't feel deprived anymore and I'm keeping the weight off. I've finally succeeded after years and years of dieting and depriving myself

It just wasn't realistic to me to deny myself the foods that I love. And I'm happy now because I know I can still eat them.

Last edited by LLV; 11-14-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #72  
Goodbye Fat!

Fat-free pretzels are not healthy at all oh and don't forget OJ
Old 11-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #73  
MasterHarper

Since when is orange juice unhealthy?

I don't mean the sugary concentrate - I mean the fresh stuff.

Some calories are actually good for you!
Old 11-14-2006, 04:37 PM   #74  
hara hachi bu

Robsia, I think it depends. I personally think that it's better to eat a straight orange than to drink a bunch of juice, simply because you're getting all the pulp and pith and good things that go along with that. A glass of juice can pack in a lot of calories and sugar (albeit natural sugars).
Old 11-14-2006, 06:45 PM   #75  
LLV

I have an uncanny desire for orange juice and pretzels, lol!

I love pretzels. I eat them often.
Closed Thread