Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #1  

Thumbs up Steel cut oats - yumm!!!

The first time I tried steel cut oats was several months ago and was NOT impressed. I think I didn't cook it long enough and had the heat on too high because it didn't seem quite done.

I refused to give up on it though. This morning, I let it cook really slow for almost an hour. About 45 minutes into cooking, I added some fresh cranberries. Once it was done, topped it with some frozen mixed berries, a few crushed walnuts and a light sprinkle of brown sugar and my tastebuds were in heaven! It was so creamy, and nutty, and filling. Mmmmm .. I can't wait til tomorrow morning!
Old 11-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #2  
Meg

I love 'em too!

If you want to make it easy on yourself, cook them in the microwave. They're still delicious.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:44 PM   #3  

I wish I could cook them in the microwave. Mine stopped working and I have yet to replace it I'll have to remember that for when I get another one though.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #4  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

I cook a big batch in my slow cooker (electric crockpot) overnight with a few diced apples, cinnamon and dried cranberries. It keeps in the fridge for about a week so I just scoop out a serving in the mornings, warm it up with some skim milk to make it creamy again and add some berries (my daughter likes a chopped banana on her's) and sweetener or a tsp of real sugar. I think there's a proper recipe for these in the Sonoma forum recipe thread.

An absolutely perfect way to start the day!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 263/157/160

Height: 5'7"

Just a quick question regarding steel cut oats. I've never eaten them, not do I know anyone whose tried them, and I'm not sure the what the consistency and texture should when they are cooked correctly.

I tried a batch in the microwave and the texture was very similar to brown rice and there was very little water left so I think they were a little overdone. I tried them again today and they were underdone.

So could some of you describe to me what steel cut oats should be like when they're done. I think it would help me greatly on my quest to integrate this food into my diet.

Thanks
Dove
Old 11-17-2006, 02:48 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Umm ... just what are steel cut oats? And why are they different (or better) then regular oats?
Old 11-17-2006, 03:11 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Here's a link, I hope, to a longish thread on steel-cut oats we had last spring. If it doesn't link, you can do a search for oatmess....

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84881
Old 11-17-2006, 05:24 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummy_Tummy View Post
I cook a big batch in my slow cooker (electric crockpot) overnight with a few diced apples, cinnamon and dried cranberries. It keeps in the fridge for about a week so I just scoop out a serving in the mornings, warm it up with some skim milk to make it creamy again and add some berries (my daughter likes a chopped banana on her's) and sweetener or a tsp of real sugar. I think there's a proper recipe for these in the Sonoma forum recipe thread.
Oooh that sounds good. I'll try my next batch this way.
Closed Thread