Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-02-2006, 05:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Default Thank God for frozen veggies!

I'm so happy that I discovered frozen mixed stir-fry veggies a few months ago! They make meals so easy! I just toss them in for a stir-fry or with chicken in a simmer sauce, and I get veggies every day. No left-over veggies to rot in the refrigerator, no exorbitant costs at the grocery! It's especially great since I live alone which can make fresh food go to waste too often. They're so versatile and easy!

Does anyone else love the bagged frozen veggies?
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #2  
LLV

Yep. Especially now. Had that stupid E. Coli outbreak with the spinach (and one like about a year ago with Dole bagged salads) and now there's a Salmonella outbreak, including in my state, and they're thinking it's from lettuce and tomatoes.

I'm about half afraid to eat fresh veggies anymore. And I haven't touched spinach since.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:13 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yup! I love frozen veggies because they tend to be fresher than store veggies and also you can get them cheap! Also, I get tired of fresh veggies going bad if I don't cook them in time. Frozen veggies never go bad on me.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #4  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Mmmmm, I eat alot of brussel sprouts and baby corn for lunch and it would be waaaaaay too much work to make those from fresh every day! I've even gotten lazy enough (nah, more like busy enough) to buy frozen, chopped onions and peppers to save time and money. It's so handy just to grab a handful and chuck them in the pot. No muss, no fuss and no tears!

Funnily enough, I actually prefer corn from a can. Can't stand any other veggies from a can, though. Don't know what it is or why I love it so much but I have been known to open a can and just dig in with a spoon. Weird, huh?
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Yay, I love frozen veggies! I also love the quick-and-easy stir fry.

Another quick-and-easy favorite? Getting the pepper mix, adding chicken, sprinkling with fajita spice, and voila! I have fajitas. Those are my two super-quick meals.

I like steaming some of the veggie mixes in the bags, and I like the Green Giant types with a bit of sauce to them. And, since I have portion control problems, and am so lazy I hate storing leftovers, the 'one serving tray' veggies have been wonderful too! So far I've tried Broccoli & Low Fat Cheese Sauce (70 calories), and Corn in Butter Sauce (100 calories). They're by Green Giant.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 136/136/120

Height: 5'0

I like them for lunch at work. I usually stick with a Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine or whatever but then I cook a cup of frozen mixed veggies (my fave is the california mix) in the microwave to add to the meal.
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:27 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I can't stand veggies from a can! Except artichokes aren't bad from a can but I prefer frozen artichokes.

I don't buy any fancy veggies though with sauce or what not because I like my veggies pretty much unaltered. One of my favorite lunches is leftover rice, leftover beans and frozen veggies. You add those in a lunch container and the frozen veggies thaw by lunch time then all you need to do is microwave. I also will put frozen veggies on a plate, cover with moist papertowel and microwave for lightly steamed veggies.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:08 PM   #8  
Michelle

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5 6

If you have a Costco they have frozen veggies in huge bags for only 8 bucks.....
mnickie38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:39 PM   #9  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

I love the Europes Best brand.... YUMM!!!! They actually look decent, and taste great! Their frozen fruit is awesome as well!!!!

http://www.europesbest.com/
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:37 AM   #10  

Yep, frozen veggies are my favorite. Krogers usually has plain frozen veggies for $1 a bag. My all time favorite is Meijer's Mexican style veggies .. corn, red pepper and broccoli. Mmmm
WaistingAweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #11  

Mummy Tummy: Canned corn is good! Maybe it's the salt? Everything else from a can I'm not a fan of, but I used to eat corn from the can quite frequently a few years ago.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:33 PM   #12  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara D View Post
Mummy Tummy: Canned corn is good! Maybe it's the salt? Everything else from a can I'm not a fan of, but I used to eat corn from the can quite frequently a few years ago.
Tara, are you talking about those baby corns that people put in stirfrys??? Oh, I'm a HUGE fan!!! I love those! I sometimes eat those as a snack instead of chips! I love them!!! YUM-O!!!!
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:40 PM   #13  

I just meant the regular yellow corn kernels, but I'm sure yours are good, too!
Old 11-04-2006, 05:48 PM   #14  
WW Moderator

Funny, I'm searching for recipes to make with frozen broccoli and cauliflower right now. Everything I find is buried in cheese and crackers. Which is great, but 400 calories a cup!

Any favorite recipes?
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #15  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I only buy frozen. In my freezer I keep a bag of frozen mixed veggies, frozen beans, mixed veggies with cheese sauce (actually only 50 cal a cup!). For stir fry - I buy the stir fry in a box - 1/3 of the box is 100 or so cal (depending on the flavour) - it has all the veggies and sauce and then I just mixed in pre-cooked cut up chicken.

The only veggies I buy for the fridge is celery and carrots (once and a while cucumber).

I too LOVE canned corn. My favourtie recipe:
1 can of corn nibblets
1 can of sliced mushrooms
some cut up onion
some cut up red/green pepper (or both)
and then I fry it all in a frying pan (in light butter! 18 cal a tbsp - I usually use two for the whole thing) and some garlic poweder (sometimes I use other spices and/or hot sauce)

It is awesome on its own, great with potatoes - some night we even thru some chicken breast and a few pergoies in there - it was super!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote