Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-31-2006, 02:57 PM   #1  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Default can you freeze coconut milk

Does anyone know if you can freeze light coconut milk? I made a recipe that called for 1/3 cup but the smallest container of coconut milk I could buy was 14 oz so now I have all this leftover coconut milk. I have other recipes that call for it but I wasn't planning on making them for a while. Can I freeze it until I am ready to use it? Any idea how long it will last in the fridge?
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:33 PM   #2  
it's always something

Coconut milk can be purchased frozen, so it should be fine to freeze leftovers. It's only good for a couple of days in the fridge. I'm not sure how long it would keep in the freezer, but I'd probably want to use it within a month or two.

Do you have a recipe to share?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Yes, you can freeze it. You can also buy powdered coconut milk, which I find more convenient to use for recipes that just call for a small amount.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Thanks for the info, very helpful. My leftover coconut milk is now safely in the freezer.

Here is what I made with it (I really liked this dish and would definitely make it again. It also came together pretty easily despite the fact that there are a lot of ingredients, most required little prep. My SO, who much more of a carnivore than I am, was not as impressed.)

Tomato Chickpea Curry
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp minced ginger (I used crushed ginger from a jar)
2 garlic cloves
3 tsp garam masala
1.5 tsp mustard seeds
.25 to .5 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne pepper)
.5 cup light coconut milk
1 tbsp seeded and chopped jalepano pepper
1 tsp sugar
.5 tsp ground tumeric
2 15-oz cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 28-oz can diced tomatoes with juice
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
3 tbsp fresh cilantro (optional)

I also added:
2 cups diced red and yellow bell peppers
2 cups chopped carrots

Directions:
Heat oil in large (around 14-in) nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in bell peppers and carrots (if using) and cook for a few minutes more. Stir in garam masala, mustard seeds, and ground red pepper; cook 2 minutes stirring frequently.

Stir in all remaining ingredients except cilantro. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove cover about half-way through so sauce will thicken a bit. If it starts to get to thick, put the cover back on.

Stir in cilantro once the curry is done cooking and you've removed it from the heat. Serve over brown rice.

Makes 6 servings. Nutritional info per serving (including my extra ingredients but not including the brown rice): 234 calories, 2.5g fat, 1.2g saturated fat, 42g carbs, 11g fiber, 12.5g sugar, 10g protein.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote