Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-08-2006, 02:07 PM   #1  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Default Nutella advice, please

I just bought some at the grocery store for my 2 year old daughter. She's very slender to the point of being boney. She's a very finicky eater and has been living on peanut butter sandwhiches, fromage frais, fruit, whole-grain Cheerios and cheese. Literally. And sometimes only a few bites. She will not drink milk at all, only water. Someone suggested Nutella, as it is made from hazelnuts. I had a nibble off the knife when I made her a sandwhich and thought it was nice but a bit too rich for me to worry about pigging out on it. I think a spoonful now and again would be more than enough to satisfy any craving I got!

Anyway, what's everyone's opinion on Nutella? I'm reading the label and it seems okay but I keep thinking "bad Mummy, feeding your kid a chocolate sandwhich"!

*sigh* In fact, ANY advice on improving her diet would be happily accepted. I nursed her until she weaned herself at 19 months. Up until she was a year old, she ate a fantastic array of home-made veggies and fruits, though she has never has cared for meat. Once she turned a year old, that was it. She decided all her previous favorites were poison. We eat a pretty balanced, nutritious diet here at our house and she's always offered a wide selection of foods but always ends up with peanut butter for dinner. I know kids go through stages where they always eat the same thing but it's less about what she's eating as it is about how much (or actually, how little) she's eating. So we're off to the nutritionist for advice. Ho hum.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I love nutella, but it has trans fat. I usually buy the hazelnut spread from Trader Joe's which tastes the same and doesn't have trans fat. I know the Nutella label says 0 grams of trans fat, but the ingredients list partially hydrogenated peanut oil - that's trans fat. It must be under the limit which must be noted, but no amount of trans fat is safe or recommended.

Nutella definitely isn't a healthy food (the first ingredient is sugar), it's definitely in the treat category for me (unlike natural peanut butter which I do consider health food). The stuff is absolutely delicious though and it would be great if you could get your little girl to eat more. I've always heard that kids love to dip stuff. Maybe get her to dip apple slices or strawberries into the nutella? Good way to encourage her to eat fruit again, maybe?
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #3  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Nutella is the devil. Mmmmmmm!
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:26 AM   #4  

Mummy I'm so sorry to hear you're daughter is being so particular now! I'm glad to hear you're going to the nutritionist though, as he/she could help determine what nutritents she needs more of. Playing off Gloria's idea of dipping fruit in Nutella, which I agree is more of a "treat" (besides you don't want your daughter to develop a taste for chocolate all the time), what about dipping fruits and veggies in peanut butter since she seems to like it. As a kid (and even now!) I loved apples, carrots, and celery with peanut butter. It's worth a shot anyway.

Also, have you talked to the nutritionist about multivitamins for your daughter since she eats so little? I don't know how she feels about taking pills, but nowdays they have "gummi bears" that are actually vitamins! If he/she says they're ok and she's against pills/chewables these may be something to look into.

Well, hope this gives you a few ideas. Good luck!
mellybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #5  
Mel

My son was like that for a while. It drove me crazy at first, but my solution was to make food a play time experience. We would build things out of food- log houses out of home made French toast strips, held together with peanut butter, then he would demolish them by eating them. Fruit and small pancakes make great animals and faces. Individual vegetables (string beans, peas, carrot sticks, celery) can all be used as facial features or building blocks.

After years of being shout at to NOT play with food, this was hard for me, but my kids loved it and would eat just about anything as long as it was a game instead of a stressful experience.

Unfortunately, now that he is 16, he wants to live on a diet of pasta and pizza and is far too savy for my games.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote