Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-11-2006, 11:42 AM   #16  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine31 View Post
I wonder if they have that in California?
Yes. The company that makes it (Food for Life) is in California. You can find it in any health food store here, at Trader Joe's (just the bread, not the buns), and at a lot of regular supermarkets.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

I didn't find the bread dry, no. I'm not super picky on bread, mind, but I've had some I don't like. This one seemed fine to me, even if the 'sprouted grain' sounded scary.

fiddler, what is the tzatziki you mentioned, for the sandwiches?
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #18  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidstoat View Post
fiddler, what is the tzatziki you mentioned, for the sandwiches?
It is a greek condiment/dipping sauce. Here's a recipe if you want to make it from scratch, or you can buy it readymade from Trader Joe's.

Tzatziki

2 (8 ounce) containers plain yogurt (Greek yogurt works best because it is thicker)
2 cucumbers - peeled, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
3 cloves garlic, peeled

In a food processor or blender, combine yogurt, cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill and garlic. Process until well-combined. Transfer to a separate dish, cover and refrigerate overnight before serving.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #19  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

What does the bread taste like?
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #20  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

Alvarado Street Bakery makes sprouted breads too, much the same as Ezekial bread. I find it in my local King Soopers, which is a Kroger store.
It's much higher protein than most whole grain breads. 4g protein and 3g fiber per SLICE of the sprouted wheat. Very good for a low GI, or high protein/good carb type diet.
It tastes great, I think. It's what my husband calls "heavy" bread. It tastes like a homemade oatmeal or english muffin bread, if you're familiar with that. It has sprouted wheat berries (wheat that has been soaked and allowed to sprout) so there's lots of texture. Give it a try, as said before, although the calories are higher than "diet" bread the nutrition is awesome. I get the sprouted multi-grain and it's 5g of protein, 2g fiber, 13 net carbs, and 90 cals a slice.
They have a new Low GI bread too and a low-salt and buns. Here's their website to examine the products more closely.
http://www.alvaradostreetbakery.com

Last edited by Ottoette; 10-12-2006 at 04:13 PM. Reason: add link
Ottoette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

I'm not sure what it tastes like, but it didn't take like tree bark or anything weird, which is what I'd feared. I don't have a discriminating sense of taste, so to me, it tasted like bread.

I bought the hamburger buns at Whole Foods today, and some veggie burgers, to try some night.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:23 PM   #22  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Thanx Fiddler! It wasn't at the last store I went to so i'll check Staters when I go next time.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:36 PM   #23  
I AM healthy!

Okay so I looked in the freezer section at Staters weeks ago and did not find it. I was at Ralph's today looking for brown bread and it caught my eye! It was with the fresh breads. I tried it today, toasted, with peanut butter and I like it!
Old 11-27-2006, 06:24 PM   #24  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Love it love it love it.... Also love the tortillas and the hamburger buns. It does pretty much have to be toasted as it will not last long in the fridge, keep it frozen and toast it frozen.

So much protein and fiber--super food for sure.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:08 PM   #25  

this is my favorite bread. i can't even remember the last time i bought plain wheat. i've been eating this for more than two years and i just keep it in the fridge. i go through it pretty slowly, and i've only ever had two or three loaves go moldly on me-- and there were only 3 or four slices left each time anyway.
punkrockgrryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #26  
I AM healthy!

Quote:
Love it love it love it.... Also love the tortillas and the hamburger buns. It does pretty much have to be toasted as it will not last long in the fridge, keep it frozen and toast it frozen.
SOunds like it! Okay so I went and stuck it in the freezer! I can't wait to call my aunts and tell them about it. My one aunt and I were talking the other day about how ALL bread has SOME form of suagr in it!
Quote:
this is my favorite bread. i can't even remember the last time i bought plain wheat.
I am glad I found it! I was freaking recently especially after I found this link about whole wheat bread!

Whole wheat bread