Peeling the center skin from red potatoes

• Forgive the stupid question, but frequently when I've seen pictures of some recipes using red potatoes, the center of the skin has been peeled away and only the ends of the potato are left covered. I'm just now reading another recipe using red potatoes and, again, I'm seeing this: Using a potato peeler, peel off a strip around the center of each potato.

Is there a reason for this? Looks only perhaps? Or does it help with the way the potato cooks or some other oddball reason?

Anyone know?
  • Well, looks are part of it but potato skins sometimes split when they are being cooked and parts of the tater get mushy! So it's not looks only.

By the way, I just took a cooking course and learned how to make potatoes like like fluted mushrooms. Now that is just too darn labout intensive! I did learn a few useful tricks though.
  • Quote: By the way, I just took a cooking course and learned how to make potatoes like like fluted mushrooms. Now that is just too darn labout intensive! I did learn a few useful tricks though.
    You've got more patience than I, honey.

lol

Patience is NOT one of my virtues. There's no way I could do that. But it sounds pretty