Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-14-2006, 12:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Default another pasta substitute

I wrote a while back about how the sauce is my favorite part, and so I eat it over steamed vegetables. Well, I tried something different today. I ate it over black beans. It was great. Black beans are way better on the carbohydrate glycemic index scale--so they work in my Zone food plan.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:58 AM   #2  
LLV

Can I post an ick here?

lol

There *IS* no substitute for pasta, in my opinion. I don't eat it all the time, but I do still eat it and when I want pasta, I want pasta.

I've heard of people putting spaghetti sauce on cooked broccoli and cauliflower, beans, some other type of veggie and even spaghetti squash. Now, while I personally ADORE spaghetti squash, I never eat it as a pasta substitute.

What does everybody have against pasta, anyway? Yes, I know, pasta equals GI type stuff. But pasta isn't as high on the GI list as everyone seems to think. In fact, many beans are higher on the GI scale than some pastas. For example, a serving of black beans is 30 on the GI scale and a serving of fettucini is 32. Not a huge difference there. Regular spaghetti is actually LOWER on the GI scale than black beans.

Most breads and cereals are higher on the GI scale than pasta

However, the difference between pasta and black beans is the beans will give you lots more fiber and protein. Have you ever tried whole wheat pasta? Great stuff.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:21 AM   #3  
hara hachi bu

Maybe it's because you get such a small quantity of pasta for a "serving"?

I eat pasta, but since I've lost weight I've been eating smaller quantities and adding more vegetables to my pasta meals.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:26 AM   #4  
I AM smiling!!!

S/C/G: 276/252/150

Height: 5'7"

I love wheat pasta and it wasn't as nasty as I thought it would be. I've avoided pasta because I hear it turns to sugar quickly. I guess I could mix it with meatballs to slow it down. But...spaghetti is my friend!!!
carolshmarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:14 AM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
Maybe it's because you get such a small quantity of pasta for a "serving"?
Now THAT is very true.

When I have pasta, I measure out the 2 oz. serving. And stand there looking at it like, "Okay, this'll be enough for a snack, when do we eat?"

lol

So I usually bulk it up with veggies and other add-ins.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:40 AM   #6  
No description available.

Mmmm...I love black beans and spaghetti squash and love to substitute for pasta....mainly because substitutions generally have more nutrition (fiber, vitamins, protein <in the case of beans>). Or at least that's what I tell myself! Pasta itself seems to lack flavor for me these days and I am trying to get the most bang for my buck per calorie.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #7  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
When I have pasta, I measure out the 2 oz. serving. And stand there looking at it like, "Okay, this'll be enough for a snack, when do we eat?"

lol

So I usually bulk it up with veggies and other add-ins.
Exactly! The pasta is more like a garnish.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
Exactly! The pasta is more like a garnish.
Yep, lol.

Best to bulk it up with other stuff. Sometimes I add all veggies and sometimes I add some boiled shrimp or chicken breast.