3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Water (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/88644-water.html)

BlueToBlue 07-07-2006 01:29 AM

Water

I know that drinking lots of water is important, but this is something I struggle with. I'm just not that thirsty and I'm also not that enamored of plain water. So I have some questions for you all.

1. Does it have to be still water? Can I drink carbonated water instead?

2. What about tea? Does unsweetened iced tea that I brew myself count as water? What about unsweetened (not artificially sweetened) tea that I buy--does that count?

3. I know diet soda doesn't count as water, but what about no sugar, no sodium, no caffeine, fruit-flavored, artificially sweetened, carbonated beverages? Do they count as water (with that string of adjectives, I have to guess that would be a big "no")?

4. What if I dilute artificially sweetened iced tea with water (e.g., half a glass of tea diluted with half a glass of water). Do I still get the benefit of drinking that half glass of water or does mixing it with the tea somehow eliminate the benefits.

5. If artificially sweetened drinks don't count as water, is drinking them A) worse than not drinking anything, B) about equal to not drinking anything, or C) not as good as drinking water but better than not drinking anything?

- Barbara

Misti in Seattle 07-07-2006 02:58 AM

Personally I don't count anything except water as water, although I do sometimes drink seltzer... but mostly plain water or water with lemon.

I am sure others will disagree and that's fine. :) But my opinion is learn to like water or at least to be able to drink it. Tanking up on artificial sweeteners is NOT healthful.

blondie728 07-07-2006 03:15 AM

I only count water, plain ole water. I dont count anything that has caffeine or artificial sweetners. But thats just me because i know a lot of people that drink diet soda because its mostly water. Im sure its better than nothing. Things like crystal lite, and sugar free koolaid are good, if you hate plain water but i dont think they replace the need for plain water.

suspendagirl 07-07-2006 05:19 AM

There's new water, I can't remember who makes it, but it's a giant case of four different kinds of naturally flavored water. The orange one is gross, I don't like the strawberry one, the raspberry one is tolerable, but the lemon one is wonderful!

Suzanne 3FC 07-07-2006 07:40 AM

What counts as water? Water, milk, grapes, even bread :lol: There's water in almost everything you consume, and technically it all counts. You are replacing body fluids, and you don't have to depend on pure water to fill your daily quota. You can consume a variety of fluids, and you can even get part of your water from foods. Fruits and vegetables can be as much as 80% water or more. Even bread is about 20% water. The American Medical Association tells us that the best way to meet our quota is by drinking plain water, but that other beverages may still be included. A lot of our members ask if flavored water counts. It's a fluid and it counts. If you don't like tap water, drinking flavored waters may help you drink more.

Personally, I only drink water except for the occasional glass of skim milk, simply because I love ice cold spring water. If I make tea, then it still counts as water.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Diet...ths_and_Facts/

Jayde 07-07-2006 07:31 PM

Suzanne, that is a good point. Recently a friend was pointing out that another mutual friend doesn't drink a lot of water but is so healthy. I had to smile because she might not drink water from a glass but she is always eating homemade soups. I swear she has soup with nearly every meal. :D

BlueToBlue 07-10-2006 10:47 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments and for the link to the article, Suzanne!

My goal is to try to alternate between flavored bevages and water. This seems like a good compromise and I think I can manage it.

- Barbara

Ilene 07-10-2006 11:07 PM

Barbara, that's an excellent compromise, maybe eventually you'll enjoy water more...

Misti in Seattle 07-11-2006 12:38 AM

LOL ya I agree the advice others have given here is great! Mine was terrible LOL. Listen to THEM. :)