Healthy Pot Luck Stuff

• OK, right now I am invited to a million pot lucks. I always forget these great ideas I have for healthy (and preferably inexpensive) options to bring to pot lucks, so if anybody has any great suggestions, please let me know!

Here are some of my favorites:

* Olive Garden has a 6-serving to-go salad that comes with 12 breadsticks for about $15.
    * A plate of cut fresh vegetables or fruit

... but of course, I forgot any other great ideas I had.
  • French potato salad! I posted the recipe elsewhere (in a "what to bring to a BBQ" thread), but basically you make the salad with just steamed potatoes and green beans, dressed in a vinaigrette with mustard, champagne vinegar, some garlic and shallot, and chicken stock (a teensy bit of oil helps, too). It is great to make the day before, can be served at room temperature, and won't spoil so you can take it to an outdoor party without any problems. Adding a teensy bit of bacon to this REALLY gives it a kick.

I am big on veggie platters with light dip, if I don't have a lot of time. A quick low-cal dip is easy to make - just use a dip mix or your favorite herbs and spices with low or non-fat yogurt and/or sour cream.

Pasta salads made with whole wheat pastas and a TON of veggies are good - just make sure you have at least as many cups of veggies as cups of cooked pasta and put on a simple dressing once everything has chilled down.
  • Fruit salad!
  • Asian cole slaw. Basically chopped cabbage, etc. but using a lf Asian type dressing instead of the traditional mayo based one. I got my recipe from Cooking Light, but of course I'm not home right now.....
  • Baked Crab Cakes
    This recipe always gets rave reviews when I bring it to potlucks. No one suspects they are baked, not fried.

2 6-oz cans of crab meat
    1 cup bread crumbs
    1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
    1/4 cup finely chopped green or red bell pepper
    1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp finely shredded lemon or lime peel
    2 egg whites (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)

Combine all ingredients. If mixture seems dry, stir in 1 tbsp skim milk. Shape into 36 SMALL patties and place on baking sheet sprayed with non-stick coating.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until patties are light golden brown. Serve warm or cold.

Nutritional Info Per Patty: 22 calories, .5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 89 mg sodium, 2 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 2.5 g protein.

From the Better Homes and Gardens Healthly Family Cookbook.

- Barbara