Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #16  

I know you already mentioned it in your post but I wouyld like to say this again "DONT TAKE PILLS PLEEEAAASSSEEE!!!" They are not approved by FDA for a reason and there are constant warnings by fda asking people to not take those!they incraese your bmr without making your heart pump blood faster (exercise is the answer to do botth in proportion). Your heart and brain will suffer low blood supply and cases of arrythmias and strokes and sudden cardiac death. I have seen patients with this MYSELF!

This is not uncommon at all putting aside other side-effetcs like diarrhoea, vomitting, naussea, asthma, migranes, bladder ruptures etc.

If you are not convinced you can do your own research on the usfda. I'd say take multivitamins instead.

As far as your diet is concerned, I think veggies and fruits are great provided you are not starving and you add your proteins (milk, eggwhite, tofu etc.) You can count your calories and other protein and carb contents in each veggie/fruit on calorieking.com
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:01 AM   #17  

Height: 5'8.5"

Good post, willmakeit! I would add my plea also.... do not not not take the pills. Good way to destroy your health, and they are just not necessary! If you eat a healthful, balanced diet and get in some exercise you will soon begin to feel "okay" with it without the pills!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

I really like the book Body for Life for Women (amazon link - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...782456?ie=UTF8 )

This book will provide you with all of the information to get started - everything from how to eat, how to exercise, and how to be kind to your mind and body. It's a very sensible plan based on the basics of eating a balanced diet and exercising. I think this would be a great resource for you as you're just starting out.

Take care & good luck!!!!!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #19  
Strength through Christ

S/C/G: 225/225/165

Height: 5'8"

Thank you, everyone! I'm a tad bummed right now because I broke down a bit today. Yesterday, I stopped taking the pills. I did get hungry, but I dealt with it pretty good. But, today, after work I just got hungry and all the willpower I had this past week flew out of the window. I had a chicken pannini (fatty cheese, bread..exactly what want to avoid) and small block of colby jack cheese. LOL! It was weird....but, cheese has never tasted so good. Anyway, I'm back on track tomorrow.

I will stay away from the pills...but, goodness, it's HARD! It's like those hunger pains/cravings are hard for me to ignore.

Oh, and I started on the beans and oatmeal and the beans really do work in curbing the appetite (thanks for that tip!).
Cali B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:36 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali B
But, today, after work I just got hungry and all the willpower I had this past week flew out of the window. I had a chicken pannini (fatty cheese, bread..exactly what want to avoid) and small block of colby jack cheese. LOL! It was weird....but, cheese has never tasted so good. Anyway, I'm back on track tomorrow.
If you're eating mainly fruits/vegetables only, it is no surprise that your body is craving bread and cheese. Your body was probably desperate for the fat/protein of cheese. I always always always binged in the past when I "dieted."
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:56 PM   #21  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

That panini probably did you more good than harm! You NEED a certain amount of fat in your diet in order to absorb many nutrients. Without any fat, half the good stuff in all those fruits and veggies are just going right through you Like others have suggested, add lean protein, low-fat dairy, and don't be afraid of whole-grain carb products (breads, pastas, brown rice, etc.--anything made with specifically whole-grain flour).

I agree that the beans are great--I like to make a crock pot of soup from a can of black beans, some salsa, some additional veggies (corn, onion, sometimes chopped spinach), some low-sodium chicken broth, and a bit of fat-free cream cheese...YUM!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #22  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali B
Oh, and I started on the beans and oatmeal and the beans really do work in curbing the appetite (thanks for that tip!).
Beans and oatmeal. Works everytime.. but not in the same dish.
I'm glad you are working it out.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:12 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I would just echo what the others have said. A diet of fruit veggies beans and oatmeal without any fat is not healthy. You need those fats in your diet!

Good kinds of fats to include in small quantities are less processed and less saturated. Some good examples: olive oil, nuts, peanut butter, and fish like salmon.

It sounds like you may be helped by a good primer on nutrition to help you sort all of this out. You might want to start with the USDAs dietary guidelines:

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguideli...2005/document/

Maybe others have good links to share.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:46 AM   #24  

Cali,
Another thing I would highly recommend.... if you are a true emotional eater and binge whenever you don't know how to (or want to) deal with something, I would really suggest seeing a counselor...
That is more than having a problem with overeating. There are reasons behind the emotional binge that must be cleared up to "fix" that particular problem.
I see a counselor weekly (she is just a counselor, not a psychologist or any other doctor because that is too expensive) to help with my emotional eating issues, and so far it is helped alot. I am also going to try hypnotherapy to help get at the root of my emotional issues.
Not everyone has issues with emotional eating, but if you know you do, it can be well worth the investment to get help in moving through those issues and learning better ways to cope.
So far, I think everyone has given you awesome advice for how to balance your diet - but also think outside of the box and balance your life. A counselor can help alot in overcoming the emotional aspect and regaining the balance in your life in addition to the healthy eating and exercise.
Good luck on your journey.
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote