Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-06-2006, 07:59 AM   #16  

Height: 5'8.5"

That is interesting, Mummy... but you are right, there is a huge market for it and probably a lot bigger than the "healthy" stuff for McDo because people who genuinely want to eat healthfully won't eat at either place to a large extent. However, I DO like to see people... and restaurants, even junky ones... stand up to the politically correct crowd and government trying to tell them what foods they can and can't sell. Have to admit there have been plenty of times when I too would have eaten this crap, but no longer! Sheesh what was I thinking?
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:49 AM   #17  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

THats the key point here I think, there IS a MARKET for it...with all the info out the about health, eating better etc, NO ONE can say they "didn't know" so really, its a personal choice to put that crap into ones body (don't get me wrong on occassion I CHOOSE to eat it, yes)...so if people are still choosing to eat it, then it will be sticking around (in more ways than one )
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #18  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

My boyfriend (high metabolism, can't gain weight to save his life) said he was going to get one of these the other day. He ended up getting something else that day, but still wanted to try it. Well, I showed him this thread and he said "My god. I guess I won't be getting one of those!"

I think I'm starting to rub off on him
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #19  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummy_Tummy
I can't remember where I read or saw this but Burger King has basically said that they are going after the other market. If I remember correctly, it was in conjunction with the creation of the very sandwhich ValRock's hubby ate.
Actually, it started a few years back. Burger King was doing just what the other guys were doing--trying to make salads and healthier choices and blah blah blah. They were actually in danger of losing their second-place stading in the fast-food market to Wendy's (McDonald's, of course, being #1), and then they got a new CEO. This guy actually is insanely healthy--he runs marathons and is extremely fit and doesn't even eat fast food, if I remember correctly. But he's also insanely business savvy

The first thing he did was come out with the giant new breakfast sandwich that had eggs, cheese, bacon, sausage, and ham (I believe) for about 1000 calories a pop. Sold like mad! They continued making bigger, greasier, fattier foods, and they quickly regained their firm hold on the #2 spot, leaving Wendy's in the dust. He knew that fast food places shouldn't have to cater to the <10% of customers who go there looking for healthier options--he knew their largest market was the people who don't give a damn about fat and calories, and he went after them, and they haven't looked back since.

BK does offer a few salads and even a veggie burger--they just don't waste their money advertising such things because nowhere near as many people will buy those as will buy the giant heart attacks on a bun
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:27 PM   #20  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle
running and jumping in the street and shouting about freedom and such.
Ha ha ha! For real?

MummyTummy, I read that article, too! BK's CEO figures that McDonald's will get targeted with all the lawsuits, so BK has the freedom to market after macho men with the bigger-is-better mentality.

Every now and then, I indulge in a bad fast-food meal. It's been said that often when we make an emotional food choice, we only taste the first few bites. This was so true at my recent Long John Silver's experience. I was driving to my mom's house and noticed a highway sign for a LJS restaurant. We've never had one up here, so there was no question in my mind that I deserved to check it out and see what it was all about. When I pulled up, I noticed it was one of those "duplex" restaurants, half Taco Bell and half LJS. I was slightly disgusted to spend money on a Border Foods restaurant, but that didn't deter me. I guess next time, I might listen a little closer to myself rationalizing, or being slightly disgusted.

Thankfully, I don't have a desire for a quadruple bacon-cheese burger from BK.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #21  

Default Unpopular Opinion

My brother is a roofer and he does some body building. The quantity of calories he has to eat per day just to maintain his weight is amazing to me. I'm not endorsing this THING as a good meal choice, especially with the saturated fats and salt, but he could actually eat that for lunch and easily burn it up before dinner time. I'm pretty sure BK is targeting his demographic. He doesn't have a weight problem and he's tired of being told what to eat. (He doesn't eat that stuff, his SO wouldn't allow it, she's a nurse.)
Alethea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:28 AM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle
I used to eat the Quarter pound cheeseburger meal with large fries and drink plus an apple pie and an extra small cheeseburger for in case I was still a little hungry. No wonder I was so fat. I have seen the commercials for this BK stacker and they are targeting them at men, who are all running and jumping in the street and shouting about freedom and such. I bet no one runs and jumps in the street once they finish one of those. I'd be sluggishly moving to the bed or couch for a nap.
Isn't that one for the Texas Double Whopper?
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:57 AM   #23  
LLV

You know what I think? I think they're [Burger King] rebelling. They're doing this to spite the new screams about restaurants needing to serve smaller portions.

BK Manager #1: "They want us to serve smaller portions."

BK Manager #2: "Oh yeah?! Well watch this!"

And the gigantic burger was born, LOL.

I personally think the FDA is one big conspiracy. I mean think about it... FOOD and DRUG? If people didn't get sick, drugs wouldn't be needed. So why would the FDA want us to eat healthier?
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:42 PM   #24  

People swear they want the fast food places to serve healthier food and when they do, no one buys it and it goes off the menu. Just one example is the fruit at Wendy's - didn't see so now it's gone.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #25  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I very well may be wrong about which commercial it was, but I thought it was the new one about the BK double stacker. Sorry if I'm wrong, I don't watch many food commercials. I turn the channel quickly.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #26  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA
People swear they want the fast food places to serve healthier food and when they do, no one buys it and it goes off the menu. Just one example is the fruit at Wendy's - didn't see so now it's gone.
Yup, you're right. The 'healthier' (and I use that term loosely) items at fast food restaurants are usually the ones to fail the quickest.

I mean, let's face it, people go to ff restaurants for junk. If I wanted healthy food, I wouldn't be pulling into a ff restaurant in the first place.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #27  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

I just wanted to mention Taco Bells new ad campaign..."Fourth meal"...Are you a Fourth mealer?" Its the meal between dinner and breakfast"...GEEZ!
Stevi-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:36 PM   #28  
hara hachi bu

Yes, Stevi, I saw that! It was such obvious marketing. I thought of teenaged boys ... they're the ones probably eating Taco Bell at 3:00am the most!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:38 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummy_Tummy
I can't remember where I read or saw this but Burger King has basically said that they are going after the other market. If I remember correctly, it was in conjunction with the creation of the very sandwhich ValRock's hubby ate. Let McDonald's pretend to get healthier, Burger King is unashamedly targeting those who want monster sandwhiches and the choice whether or not to eat them. And, sadly, there is a market for it.
Ya! they're targeting my husband, and I have to keep telling him no! LOL

I am very glad to say that I would NEVER have eaten a BK stacker, or some of their other new big breakfast sandwiches... Now, even the thought of it makes my GALLBLADDER ache.
I worked at McDonalds during my last 2 years of high school... by the time I quit, I could eat nothing but lettuce burgers (lettuce instead of meat, dressed like a regular burger) and chicken nuggets. After that, it would have been pretty rare for me to eat fast food burgers - now other things like chicken sandwiches (grilled or crispy, didn't matter) or Arby's or Pizza! I would do, but not greasy burgers.
I have read the book Fast Food Nation By Eric Schlosser ( I think), and now the thought of eating fast food disgusts me. Even though I'm not eating right now, the only things I would want might be a grilled chicken sandwich from Wendy's, beef and cheddar at Arby's, or anything from Quiznos - otherwise, the thought of any kind of greasy fast food makes me feel seriously nauseated.
I do recommend the book if you want to be completely turned off to fast food... it'll do it!
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:08 AM   #30  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckettgirl
I do recommend the book if you want to be completely turned off to fast food... it'll do it!
Oh ya... it definitely will LOL
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote