Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-25-2006, 08:54 AM   #1  

Default Bizarre food Theories

I had a very odd conversation with a woman at work. She was telling me about her new diet, where one doesn't lose weight, but one's belly gets smaller. Ya, whatever, I think. Then she says the only bad part of it is that she has to eat or drink 3 servings of dairy a day. Ah, lactose intolerant, bummer. But no, she leans closer to me and saying in a conspiratorial whisper "Well, you know why that's such a problem for us gals." I routinely get about 3 to 5 servings of dairy a day. I love the stuff, and have no problem at all with it. I guess my blank look told her as much. She then floors me with "Well, it's bad because we make milk ourselves!" I managed a probably not too convincing "Okay", and then wandered off in a daze.

So, yeah, I've never heard the "theory" that because women can under the right circumstances lactate, we are susceptible to having problems with milk products in our diets. Have any of you guys heard this one, or any other weird food beliefs (other than the fairly common "My body is wired such a way that I can eat less calories than I burn off and still gain weight!)?

Even if it turns out that I'm the _only_ person that doesn't know this, I'm still drinking my milk and eating my cheese and yogurt!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Nope, never heard that one. It is ... um ... odd

My favourites are food combining. If you eat salad and fruit first, it'll scootch right through and take the other food with it before it has a chance to make you fat.
OR
If you eat fruit and salad last, it'll scootch eveything ahead of it out quicker than it can make you fat.

I thought of another one ... chili peppers make heat that burns calories
OR
the cold food diet. You eat all cold food and burn calories warming it up enough to digest.

Either/or I guess
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:37 AM   #3  
Proud Army Mom!

S/C/G: 202/185/165

Actually, I did food combining once, and it does work. The point behind this, is eating foods that compliment the functions of our bodies at certain times of the day, and not eating combinations of foods that prohibit or slow down these functions. When you read the book, (the name of the book is "Fit For Life" by some guy who's last name is Diamond) it makes a lot of sense. It doesnt "scooch" or take food with it, at least not in this book/diet. But if you go totally "food combining" you'll eventually end up a vegitarian, because it cuts out most meat. That's the reason I didnt stick with it, I missed my meat. But I did lose weight. Another thing that I remember the book claiming, was that flatulence would decrease immensely, and I remember that being the case...LOL.
mel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Maybe I used the term 'food combining' out of context. I'm sorry if I did. I just thought it was funny that I'd heard/read both those theories which seem to be backward from each other.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:16 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Susan,
Chili peppers do raise your metabolism, slightly. It is why every diet pill out there has cayenne pepper in it. It is pretty minimal though but I love hot stuff
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

When I heard that chiles raise metabolism, I thought great, every little bit helps. I love food, so I started eating a lot of my meals "hot," it helped on two levels. The metabolism boost (however small) and the appetite suppression effect - I noticed that if the food was at the upper limit of my tolerance, I tended not to overeat, so if I chose lower cal spicy options, it was really helpful to my diet.

My stomache isn't as strong as it used to be, so I don't eat spicy food as often, but it did help. I'm not going to pay for supplements with cayenne in it though, as the tiny metabolism boost isn't worth the price to me.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:36 PM   #7  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

My grandmother used to believe that if you cooked food you took the calories out. Two foods that I vividly recall her telling us about were bread and eggs. Toasted bread supposedly had no calories. A boiled egg had no calories. I was probably 16 or 17 when I realized this wasn't true. I went to a TOPS class and the class leader said it wasn't true. Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought that, because she just made a general annoucement to the whole class. She didn't know that my grandmother believed it and had taught it to me.

As you can imagine, before that, I had been on several boiled egg and dry toasts "diets".
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:18 PM   #8  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Wow, people will believe all kinds of stuff that just doesn’t make any sense! Hey, if a cookie breaks do you suppose the calories fall out of it? I've been hearing ads on the radio for something called “99 degree thermacore” – don’t just burn the fat, incinerate it! What do you want to bet they’re just capsules filled with cayenne pepper? Who’s buying that junk?

I’ve been trying to cut most of the dairy and eggs out of my diet, the more I can do that the better I feel generally. Oy, I can’t imagine being on a diet based on eggs and bread.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #9  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

I was a manager of a Domino's at an earlier point in my life. We had a very regular customer (every night without fail) who ordered a small double-pepperoni pizza and had us send it though the oven twice to "cook off" the excess calories. (Her words, not mine.)

Uhh... let's just say that after running that store for about a year, and sending out this "lowered calorie" pizza hundreds of times, this person's weight did change, but not probably in the direction they were hoping.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:56 PM   #10  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananigans
Hey, if a cookie breaks do you suppose the calories fall out of it?
Don't I wish!!!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:06 PM   #11  
Proud Army Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
Maybe I used the term 'food combining' out of context. I'm sorry if I did. I just thought it was funny that I'd heard/read both those theories which seem to be backward from each other.

Yep, so many of them do, dont they.

Andoreth, funny funny!!!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:08 PM   #12  
Proud Army Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtammy
My grandmother used to believe that if you cooked food you took the calories out. Two foods that I vividly recall her telling us about were bread and eggs. Toasted bread supposedly had no calories. A boiled egg had no calories. I was probably 16 or 17 when I realized this wasn't true. I went to a TOPS class and the class leader said it wasn't true. Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought that, because she just made a general annoucement to the whole class. She didn't know that my grandmother believed it and had taught it to me.

As you can imagine, before that, I had been on several boiled egg and dry toasts "diets".
Thats funny too!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:35 PM   #13  
Cute n' curvy.

S/C/G: 270/270/130

My grandmother thought that if she drank a cup of grapefruit juice, it would kill all the fat and calories she just took in while chowing on huge breakfast. Wishful thinking!!!!!!!
turkeysandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #14  

I just thought of another one I hear often. "Don't eat ANYTHING" after 6pm. The whole idea that calories count more or less, or after doing certain activities. It's the overall calorie deficit that counts, though certainly in the short run one might burn off more calories at a certain time of the day over another. But even so, if you eat something after a heavy workout, it does count towards your daily limit. And I've lost about 70 pounds, all the time eating my biggest meal of the say just before dinner.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:12 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel67
Actually, I did food combining once, and it does work. The point behind this, is eating foods that compliment the functions of our bodies at certain times of the day, and not eating combinations of foods that prohibit or slow down these functions. When you read the book, (the name of the book is "Fit For Life" by some guy who's last name is Diamond) it makes a lot of sense. It doesnt "scooch" or take food with it, at least not in this book/diet. But if you go totally "food combining" you'll eventually end up a vegitarian, because it cuts out most meat. That's the reason I didnt stick with it, I missed my meat. But I did lose weight. Another thing that I remember the book claiming, was that flatulence would decrease immensely, and I remember that being the case...LOL.
The question I have is did you lose weight because of the foods being eaten at certain times OR because you were taking in fewer calories than you were using?

Without more rigorous controlled studies, we don't know, but I'm thinking it's the latter. At least, that is generally what the results of such studies conclude.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote