this is (no kidding) the best salsa i've ever had in my life:
the salsa goes as follows (as best my memory allows):
*10 dried ancho chilies- stemmed and seeded
*2 teaspoons ground dried pasilla peppers (which i didn't find. i just whirred some stemmed but not deseeded dried pasilla peppers in ye olde 2 cup chopper which i'm sure is a respectable estimation of 'ground dried pasilla peppers')
*1 container organic cherry tomatoes + 3/4 a misc leftover tomato from the fridge (recipe calls for 5 roma tomatoes)
* 1 tb+ 1 teaspoon salt (eek! it ended up a touch salty, i wish i'd cut it a little)
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 3 tb white vinegar
* 1/2 c chopped green onions (i used a small handfull of garlic chives as that was what i had on hand)
* 3/4 c chopped cilantro
* 3 tb toasted pumpkin seeds
1) cut tomatoes in 1/2 and place cut side down on a baking sheet and broil till skin is charred
2) add charred tomatoes to a stainless steel sauce pan and add 1 1/2 c h2o, the ancho and pasilla peppers, and the salt and sugar. bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
3) add white vinegar and continue to cook another minute.
4) add the pumpkin seeds and transfer to your blender/food processor. blend until smooth. i reccommend using an immersion blender if you have one.
5) add onions and cilantro. transfer to another container and chill for several hours.
makes about 2 cups
(recipe from CHOW