3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   What to do with canned clams? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/87277-what-do-canned-clams.html)

LLV 06-19-2006 08:24 PM

What to do with canned clams?

I made a clam recipe yesterday and didn't use all of them. So I've got about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of whole baby clams left. I'd love to make clam fritters, but that requires so much flour and oil and all that other fattening stuff, so I was wondering if any of you had any ideas as to how I could use them up. Naturally, since there aren't very many left, the dish would be for a single person (I'm the only one in the house that will eat them anyway) and I'd especially welcome a recipe for lowfat/lowcal clam fritters? I could always 'fry' them in nonstick cooking oil like I do everything else.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Glory87 06-19-2006 09:01 PM

Hmmm, clams are the best source of vitamin B12 (have a friend who's fighting a B12 deficiency). How about tomato sauce with clams over pasta?

penpal 06-19-2006 09:40 PM

By coincidence, I tried making some mixed seafood today (baby scallops, calamari and shrimp) which I bought from Trader Joes (raw, frozen). I really fancied calamari like you get in restaurants, but it's always a bit greasy.

I thawed & drained the seafood mix & wrapped it in paper towels to get most of the liquid off. Then tossed them in 2 tbsp. flour w. salt, pepper and garlic powder. I pan fried them in 1/2 tbsp. e.v. olive oil and 1/2 tbsp. butter. I put it in my Nutridiary and it was only 320 calories. I had about a cup of the seafood and it was very filling. Next time I think I can cut back even further with the flour and oil.

I had it with half of a TJ's pear & blue cheese salad and it was delish! It all came to 493 calories.

LLV 06-19-2006 10:23 PM

Wonderful suggestions, thank you!

And P.S., I love calamari ;)

Jayde 06-20-2006 06:44 AM

After my spagetti sauce is about finished, I add a can of chopped clams. Water and all. Then I cook it for a little bit longer to remove some liquid. It is soooo good. The amount of clams is not a lot compared to the volume of sauce but it really adds to the sauce flavor.

Oh, try putting pesto sauce and canned clams over fresh hot linguine. YUM!

LLV 06-20-2006 09:55 AM

Yummmmmmm :)

telemetrynurse 06-20-2006 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayde
After my spagetti sauce is about finished, I add a can of chopped clams. Water and all. Then I cook it for a little bit longer to remove some liquid. It is soooo good. The amount of clams is not a lot compared to the volume of sauce but it really adds to the sauce flavor.

Oh, try putting pesto sauce and canned clams over fresh hot linguine. YUM!

That sounds good! I make mine with spaghetti squash

Jayde 06-20-2006 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telemetrynurse
That sounds good! I make mine with spaghetti squash

That sounds good too. I've heard a lot about spaghetti squash on 3FC.. I should try it.