Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-08-2006, 02:08 PM   #1  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Default Quinoa - Cooking Suggestions?

One more "What do I do with this" question. I bought some quinoa to serve as a side with some snapper fillets and kale tonight for dinner. Suggestions on how to cook it? Is it good plain? I was considering cooking in some chicken stock with a bit of garlic - thoughts?

Also, for those of you who have experience cooking with it, any tips for a first-time quinoa cooker? My fabulous supermarket has 10 or so different whole grains in bulk bins, and I am determined to try each and every one of them (breaking out of the brown rice or potato or whole wheat couscous rut I've been in for some time now). Any other recommendations for whole grains I might not have tried?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quinoa is one of my family's favorite grains! I usually just put it in the rice cooker and cook it up like rice with some chicken stock and garlic or green onions. Comes out delicious! I have some recipes, in the cabinet I think... I'll put them up as soon as get my munchkin dressed . It's yummy!

or not... I think my husband tossed the booklet out . Anway, it's really good with garlic. I've used it to put stir fried veggies on... just about anywhere you can use rice it works .

Last edited by ValRock; 06-08-2006 at 02:39 PM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #3  

quinoa is one of my faves too-- i had some for dinner last night. make sure you rinse it before cooking to get rid of the saponin-- i use a mesh strainer lined with a paper coffee filter. i usually put some chicken or veggie flavoring in with it though quinoa has a nice flavor all on it's own. i make a quinoa pilaff as one of my standard / fallback meals. toast whatever seeds and/or nuts you have on hand along with some dried fruit (i usually toss in sesame seeds, cashews or walnuts, and sunflower seeds along with dried cranberries and dried pineapple) and mix in to the cooked quinoa. top with yogurt/cucumber raitta. mmmm.
punkrockgrryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #4  

I love the stuff.

These are recipes I have made:

http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/az/QinndBlckBns.asp

http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/az/QinTbli.asp

http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/az/...picyTomato.asp

Whole list

http://search.allrecipes.com/recipe/...uinoa&lnkid=65
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:57 PM   #5  
hara hachi bu

I love quinoa! I use it typically wherever rice is required. It's an ancient grain, much healthier than rice, and seems to be quite flexible.

I particularly liked it in an Indian dish, I think it was baingan bharta.

Great recipes and ideas here! Mmmmmm.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #6  

Height: 5'9"

Yep, cook it just like you would rice.

One of my favourite things to do with quinoa is make a big salad and then take portions for my work lunches. All you have to do is chill the quinoa after cooking, add your favourite vegetables (I usually put in tomato, cucumber and red onion and then some ground flaxseed) and toss it in a little bit of low-cal salad dressing (any vinagrette works) and voila! You have tons of quinoa salad to take to work, full of quinoa protein and veggies.
iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote