Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-15-2006, 11:48 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 164/137/135

Height: 5ft, 4.5in

Personally, I'd love it if fast food places offered small sizes other than the kids menu. Mmm... if McDonalds made a Mini Mac combo, with a small fry and kid-sized drink, that would be great. 700 calories, almost no redeeming nutritional value, but not as much damage as a normal Big Mac Combo (not supersized). A reasonable 3x/year treat.

Right now I order off the kids menu, but there's not as much variety as on the adult menu. And if I'm going out for fast food, I'm NOT in the mood for a salad!

-Amy
ameliaamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #32  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoposter
that's why i love tapas restaurants!!! it's small plate menus. my SO and i go all the time (when we go out). each person orders 2-3 small plates (two each is enough) and they're each $4-5. it's great because you can taste a lot of things, and you can get one healthy thing, and 3 bad ones, eat the healthy one and snack on the other three bad ones.
Tapas sounds fantastic. I did a quick search and only found 3 restaurants. All in CT. Hm... I wish that concept would catch on in lots of other places. Imagine... the restaurant doesn't even have a freezer. Everything is fresh from the market. Sign me up for lunch next time I go through CT.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:08 PM   #33  
The Beauty of Balance

ah wait... I found more Tapas in Illinnois and California. Maybe there is hope yet.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

There are definitely tapas places in Dallas and Seattle (the last two places I've lived).

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=gre...&cop=&ei=UTF-8

Just the first screen of this search pulls up tapas in Dallas, Seattle, San Francisco, South Beach FL, Chicago, Baltimore...I thought it was gaining in popularity. Have you searched by "Spanish" restaurants in your area?
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:41 PM   #35  
The Beauty of Balance

So that makes CT, Illinois, California, Florida, Washington, Texas, and Maryland. I will be looking closer into authentic Spanish and Mediterranean restaurants in my area for sure. I really like what I've heard so far. It just might help me eat out a little more often. Thanks, Glory.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:02 PM   #36  

here's the menu at the one that i frequent....

http://www.cafeiberico.com/menu.html

in case anyone was wondering what spanish tapas were like.
chicagoposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:40 PM   #37  
The Beauty of Balance

Chicago, how on earth do you decide? Everything sounds so good! And the prices are so reasonable. I gotta find me one of these close by. This is my kind of dining.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:49 AM   #38  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I've noticed lately that menus are offering "half size" portions, especially in regards to main-dish salads and pasta dishes. I appreciate that. I never order it, but I appreciate it. I also love leftovers, but am one of those people that forgets it on the table anyway.

I also don't agree with restaurants putting their patrons on a portion controlled diet, but I do think they can certainly offer half sizes as well.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #39  

Height: 5'8.5"

Well I realize that this is probably my own little personal (and useless) "rebellion" but lately when I go into a restaurant I ASK if they have a smaller portions menu or a senior menu. When told no, I ask if they can do just plain grilled chicken breast with veggies. A lot of them actually do this but they don't list it on the menu. Last night the waitress even offered to substitute that on one of the meals for the meat and give me the meal for the same price.

When I was asking about smaller portions she mentioned the lunch section and said I could order from it... but I pointed out politely that there was nothing at all healthful on it as it was all deep fried, french fries, etc.

Again, probably useless... but perhaps if enough of us start asking for more healthful options, they will begin providing them. It is amazing how many times I go into a restaurant and there is absolutely NOTHING on the menu that is not loaded with fat, creamy sauces, etc.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 175/172/130

I don't know, it's just a recommendation, making smaller portions doesn't necessarily mean the people will eat less... you can still order multiple entrees, or appetizers and desserts. It could go either way for restaurant business and be good or bad, but overall it sounds almost as reasonable as a junk food tax - which is not at all.
thirdangel is offline   Reply With Quote