3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Yummy, Easy to Pack, Cold Lunches? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/85615-yummy-easy-pack-cold-lunches.html)

WaterWater 05-29-2006 06:06 PM

Yummy, Easy to Pack, Cold Lunches?

I am having a hard time finding a nice variety of recipes for my lunches. I need healthy food... salad type recipes that I could fix a bunch of on Sunday and pack in individual containers for the week. I do not have easy access to a microwave during lunch so I need stuff that tastes good cold or room temperature. I pack my water for the day and a lunch container all into a 6 pack cooler. Do any of you have suggestions for these type of dishes that are both yummy and healthy?

PS - Is there anyway to prepare salads on Sunday and have them stay fresh until Friday? I have a hard time keeping salad fresh more than a couple of days in my fridge! What is the secret? Thanks :)

WaterWater 05-30-2006 11:51 AM

Oops! I think I posted this in the wrong section. Could someone please move it to the Food section under Diet Central? Thank you!

mauvaisroux 05-31-2006 09:24 AM

I prepare my salad fixings on Sunday for the rest of the week. I tear up Romain lettuce and leaf lettuce or add bagged spring mix to the Romaine. I put it in a salad spinner to wash and dry the greens. I then put the greens into a large tupperware container and don't add anything to them. This keeps the greens fresh up to 4 days.

The night before work I make one salad up using some of the greens, add chopped raw broccoli, sliced cucumber, chopped low-fat cheese and chopped up lean ham or turkey and put it into a plastic lunch container. I either cut the tomato into the salad in the morning or just take the tomato to work and cut it into the salad just before I eat. This prevents the greens from getting soggy.
I also keep a bottle of dressing in the fridge at work so I don't have to pack that each day.

I also use my stash of lettuce/mixed greens to throw onto a sandwich or a wrap. It is so much easier to have it prepped for you. :)

I also pack a snack size container of baby carrots and one of hummous and round out my lunch with some fresh fruit.

Jniniffer 05-31-2006 11:56 AM

I like to maks pita sandwiches!! I use fat free pits, with fat free ham, lettuce, light mayo and fst free cheese! I'll also put tuna in there to change things up a bit!

mauvaisroux 05-31-2006 02:08 PM

During the summer I make macaroni salad to take to work. I use wholewheat pasta and add chopped radish, baby carrots and raw broccoli then I mix in some low fat mayonnaise and a tbsp of low fat Italian dressing. I eat this with rolled up low fat ham or turkey or I sometimes mix drained canned tuna into the macaroni. This keeps well for about 2 or 3 days. :)

WaterRat 05-31-2006 08:49 PM

My favorite salad-type lunch is a faux taco salad thing. I make a salad with romaine/green leaf lettuce plus sometimes shredded cabbage. Then I add chopped up tomatoes, avocado and 1/2 cup of seasoned beans. My favorite are the Caribbean black beans by S&W. You could add some lf/ff shredded cheese too. For a dressing I use lf/ff sour cream and salsa. It's really good with the beans warmed up, but not necessary. I usually take the ingredients to work separately and make the salad fresh at lunch - that way nothing is soggy. I also like to have a warmed up tortilla to eat with this, but a cold one - hmmmm, not as good. :) The beans give this salad a fair amount of protein, but I'll add some leftover chicken breast or a hard boiled egg for more. I also put in leftover veggies such as asparagus and green beans.

Ophelia924 05-31-2006 09:29 PM

I often make salads and top them with leftover meats from the night before. If we had grilled chicken the previous night that is what I top it with. I also have been known to use the meats in wraps or pitas. Usually with a diet dressing but I have also found that the homemade dressings found in the WW books can be very good. I like roast beef with the yougurt horseradish sauce! Yum-o!

DairyQueen 06-03-2006 07:20 PM

Low carb high-fiber tortilla wraps and low-carb bread are great for making leaner sandwhiches. Pick lean meat with veggies and a limited amount of mayo (but not fat-free mayo, narsty). One that I like is one hard-boiled egg, two hard-boiled egg whites, one teaspoon of mayo, and some veggies in a wrap.
Healthy side dishes: fresh fruit, cottage cheese (like Kraft "Cottage Cheese Doubles" yum), light yogurt, vegitables with a little reduced-fat dressing to dip, garbonzo beans, boca chilli, laughing cow light cheese (spreadable or the kind you just eat out of the little packet).

chicagoposter 06-04-2006 06:17 PM

theveganlunchbox.com has some great ideas. you can make all the recipes non-vegan, to tweak it to your tastes. i SERIOUSLY love that website.