Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #1  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Default Ow, Kashi! What have you done?!

I was at Walmart, and I decided to have a look at meal replacement bars/shakes to see about stuff to bring to work (McDonald's) for lunch. I saw something that sounded yummy, Kashi GoLean chocolate turtle roll. Chocolate, caramel, whole grains... come ON! So I bought it. Only 97 cents, right?

I open it up when I get home, go to break it in half... it wasn't going to give. I had to work it a bit to get it halved up. Then I bit into it.

My teeth barely dug into the chocolate before I noticed that I wasn't able to bite any further in.

Now, on the package, it says "A chewy chocolate center surrounded by smooth caramel and then rolled in toasted pecans, crunchy soy crisps and whole grains"

CHEWY chocolate? Sure, once you actually get a bite in your mouth it's chewy... but my mouth hurts after just trying to eat half of the bar. I definitely will NOT be having this again. It's a shame, because it's got 6g of fiber and 12g of protein and really is quite filling. But any food that hurts to eat isn't good enough for me :P
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #2  
Meg

Wow, it sounds like something's wrong with your bar. Perhaps it's out of date or was stored inccorectly before you bought it? I can't believe Kashi would deliberately design the bar that way! Here's the Kashi Contact Us page - bet you'll get at least a free bar if you get in touch with them and tell them what happened!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:27 PM   #3  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

Maybe they figured the extra calories needed to actually chew the thing would help make up for the chocolate and caramel.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 238/238/150

Height: 5'3

I agree with Meg. Sometimes stores dont have the best rotating practices with food. I am a date checker with everything! It sounds like you got an old bar.
natascharenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:31 PM   #5  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoreth
Maybe they figured the extra calories needed to actually chew the thing would help make up for the chocolate and caramel.

Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:59 PM   #6  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

It definitely sounds like you got an old one. I get these, and while they aren't exactly the tenderest things ever, they certainly aren't that hard normally. I would check them out at a different store, see if the package is bendable and if so give them another try. I usually get mine at Trader Joe's.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:41 PM   #7  

I find that most of those bars...Clif, Luna, Bodyfor Life....are way too hard for my teeth. I always try to bend them in the store to see how pliable they are.
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote