Best PB for dieters?

• Should I go reduced-fat, regular, or natural? (Even it's even possible to still lose weight and eat it LOL).
  • Pb
    I know there is a pretty good tasting peanut butter from Trader Joes called "Better than Butter" or something like that. For 2 Tbsp, it's only 100 cals that is really low in fat. The reason why it's so low in cals and fat is because they grind the peanuts then drain the fatty oil out and then put the ground peanuts in with other stuff. So if you want low cal, go for that one if you have a Trader Joe's nearby. Otherwise I would recommend natural, that way you know you are only getting the peanuts and not partially hydrogenated soybean oil (i.e. Trans fat) and plus, it tastes better. Just watch portions!!
  • If you go for PB in your regular stores-go for the natural peanut butter, or the less sugar/less sodium varieties if you can't go cold turkey yet. (On the sodium and sugar added to original Jif, Peter Pan, etc.)

Natural peanut butter separates, so you usually have to stir it up good before you use it each time.

I would avoid the reduced fat peanut butter at all costs. Peanuts contain fat naturally, and to reduce the fat-they reduce the peanuts and add sugars and other things in its place. So, you get less fat-but you also get less nutrition, less peanuts, and more sugar and additives.
  • I was thinking of going with natural honey PB. I don't think I can do unsweetened. It has 4 g of sugar per serving, but honey isn't as bad as regular sugar is it??
  • I like the smucker's natural peanut butter. My parents hate the taste, but I like that I can't taste any sugar or other fake crap that most pb has in it. All that's in this one is peanuts and salt. It's not low fat or anything (210 calories, 16 g fat, 6 carbs for 2 tbsp), but when I'm needing a pb fix, it's yummy. I like that I'm getting the pb taste but without the hydrogenated oil. At first when I saw it in the store (with the oil at the top) I was a bit hesitant, but I got over it. If you're willing to give it a try, I'd say go for it! You'll get used to looking for the pb in the fridge, hehe.
  • ALWAYS buy natural peanut butter!!! The commercial stuff is FULL Of hydrogenated oils, it's just yucky! I get Adam's, the kind you have to stir but I pour the fat off because I like mine thicker anyway and who needs that oil?! It takes a bit of getting used to but it's all we eat in this house now and nobody complains! I think it's yummy!
  • When I used to eat unhealthy, I had a lot of crazy ideas about nutrition. I thought all fat was always bad. I had no idea what partially hydrogenated oils were. Now I know that some fats are very good for the body, we need healthy fat in our diet. I also know that there is no safe level of transfat. Most commercial peanut butters use partially hydrogenated oil to stabalize peanut butter (so it doesn't separate into solid/liquid).

For these reasons, I would definitely only eat natural peanut butter (the ingredients in my Trader Joe's peanut butter are peanuts and salt). I eat very clean and I use natural peanut butter as a decent source of healthy fat (almond butter would be good too). As far as "who needs the oil?" well, I do. My goal is to have at least 30% of my daily calories come from healthy fat sources, it is a challenge some days and natural peanut butter is a good way to reach that goal (along with cooking with olive oil/canola oil, avocado, salmon, etc).

To me, there is no difference between the foods I eat while I was losing weight and the foods I eat to maintain weight. I don't eat "diet" foods. I also try to avoid as much "fake" foods as possible - chemicals, fake sugars, etc etc.

Quote:
    (Even it's even possible to still lose weight and eat it LOL).
    2 pieces of whole grain toast and 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter is my favorite breakfast, I ate it while I was losing weight and I eat it almost every day now that I'm maintaining. Eating healthy, clean foods and counting calories helped me to lose weight successfully, now it helps me maintain successfully. I love peanut butter, I need healthy fat, I just stay within my daily goals. Nothing nutritious is offlimits to me.
  • Quote:
    As far as "who needs the oil?" well, I do.
    Actually, we all do. This article from Mayo CLinic/MSN I think explains it pretty well -
    http://health.msn.com/dietnutrition/...ntid=100111195

Your body needs fat to function properly. Besides being an energy source, fat is a nutrient used in the production of cell membranes, as well as in several hormone-like compounds called eicosanoids. These compounds help regulate blood pressure, heart rate, blood vessel constriction, blood clotting and the nervous system. In addition, dietary fat carries fat-soluble vitamins — vitamins A, D, E and K — from your food into your body. Fat also helps maintain healthy hair and skin, protects vital organs, keeps your body insulated, and provides a sense of fullness after meals (satiety).

Kind of off track from PB, but whatever...
  • Personally, I am partial to soynut butter. It is lower in calories and fat that peanutbutter, and you hear so many good things about the power of soy protein products. I like the taste as well; it tastes nothing like tofu. (Although I am a tofu fan as well!) But it would probably take getting used to for many people. You can find it at Trader Joe's and most health food stores. Best of luck!
  • Quote: Actually, we all do. This article from Mayo CLinic/MSN I think explains it pretty well -
    http://health.msn.com/dietnutrition/...ntid=100111195

Your body needs fat to function properly. Besides being an energy source, fat is a nutrient used in the production of cell membranes, as well as in several hormone-like compounds called eicosanoids. These compounds help regulate blood pressure, heart rate, blood vessel constriction, blood clotting and the nervous system. In addition, dietary fat carries fat-soluble vitamins — vitamins A, D, E and K — from your food into your body. Fat also helps maintain healthy hair and skin, protects vital organs, keeps your body insulated, and provides a sense of fullness after meals (satiety).

Kind of off track from PB, but whatever...
    OK OK, I digress.... I get enough fat from other sources (fish, avocados, olive oil, whole nuts, flax seed, etc etc etc) and I like my PB thick so I don't stir the oil in... better? lol

I don't eat "diet" foods either... they're loaded with chemicals to make them taste better, I don't see the point when whole "clean" foods taste much better to me anyway!