3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Trader Joe's? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/84062-trader-joes.html)

OneKim 05-11-2006 01:48 AM

Trader Joe's?

I've seen the name of this store a few times here. Never heard of it before. I went to the website and found that there's one near-ish to me. I don't know if it's worth the trip for me though.

Are they expensive? More expensive than most stores? I pretty much have a grocery budget that I have to stick to and I don't want to waste the gas to make the trip and find prices that are way over what I'd pay! If it helps, I get groceries at Super Walmart or at the commisary on base (not often) so I guess I go pretty cheap.

Anyone fill me in? I went to their website but I seem to have an ADD like mind tonight and I can't concentrate on the first word on there! Thanks!

Kim

teatree 05-11-2006 02:03 AM

Some of their products are even cheaper than places like Safeway, for my TJ's at least. I think if I were you I'd go to look just once, even if it's only a sightseeing sort of thing. :) I don't know how far it is from you, and with gas costs high I don't know whether it'd even out or not cost-wise.

OneKim 05-11-2006 08:55 AM

Thanks Tea! That's good to know! I think I'll check it out sometime soon. It's worth a trip I guess! Ugh, I can see myself screwing up my grocery budget...lol.

Kim

mandalinn82 05-11-2006 11:40 AM

Every time I go to TJs, I'm actually happily surprised when they finish checking me out. Usually, if I think I spent about $100, I actually spend about $70. Especially on produce! At my local grocery store, 2 red bell peppers cost 2-3 dollars, at TJs you get 3 or 4 for 1.99. They have a lot of great quality stuff for less than you'd pay elsewhere, and you can buy lots of healthy foods and snacks to keep you going.

LindaT 05-11-2006 11:44 AM

I stop there every week as one is on my way home from work! I am very lucky!:carrot:

I save a ton on produce. The nuts are also very cheap, oils are cheap, I get my La tortillas there cheaper too, as well as a lot of my frozen fish. Canned beans, tomatoes, soy sauce.. etc. All cheaper than grocery store.

As long as you stay away from the premade stuff, which tastes good and can be healthy - but expensive, your budget should be okay.

OneKim 05-12-2006 07:17 AM

Thanks y'all! Hopefully I'll make my way there in the next few weeks! I haven't mapquested it to figure out how far it is from me...too lazy...lol. My sister in law and her kiddos are coming to visit next month, I could probably benefit from saving on fresh veggies, we'll probably cook out ALOT!

Kim