Calamari Steak

• I've got a two pack of calamari steak sitting in the freezer. Does anyone have a good recipe for cooking them? Also, are they a good food choice?
  • What is calamari steak?

I know what calamari is and love the stuff, but I've never heard of that before.
  • Quote: I've got a two pack of calamari steak sitting in the freezer. Does anyone have a good recipe for cooking them? Also, are they a good food choice?
    Are you talking about large squid. The kind that are about 18 inches long? If so, I've got ideas for you.
  • Calamari steak is like a large part of squid, I guess you could say. I have never eaten one before.

Well, I'm not so sure about the exact length... But it sure is big! Definitely over a foot or so.
  • Quote: Calamari steak is like a large part of squid, I guess you could say. I have never eaten one before.

Well, I'm not so sure about the exact length... But it sure is big! Definitely over a foot or so.
    Yup that's it. I buy this squid whole and clean it myself. Cutting off the little suction cups from tentacles, removing inside goop, and peeling the thin layer of skin from the body (the skin is bitter).

So your steaks are already cleaned and ready to cook. How convenient!! This squid is nice and thick and so absolutely delicious. it is thicker than the little calimari so it holds up well in a lot of dishes. And is it good for you? Absolutely!

Here are a few ways I cook it.

1. I boil water and place the whole body in the boiling water for a short time. Maybe only a couple of minutes. Is this what is called "blanching"? Quickly remove it from the water rinse in cool water to keep it from cooking, then slice into nice strips about 1/2 inch wide and 4 inches long. I make a dip with hot pepper paste (Korean gochu jang), sugar, and vinegar. The squid is dipped in the sauce at the table. It is a good side dish, snack, or dish to eat with sake or other rice wine.

2. I add it to hot spicy stews. The body is good for this but the tentacles are even better as they are chewier.

3. Once upon a time I used to grill it. It has been so long I don't think I remember how, but now I think I will try it. I have at least 5 whole squid in my freezer so maybe this weekend I will take out one or two.

4. Lots of recipes for squid and vegetables.

5. I even .. every once in a while fry it tempura style (deep fried with batter). My husband really loves it this way but as I'd prefer not to deep fry things he doesn't get it this way often.

I can't wait to here how others cook this. So yummy!
  • That sounds so delicious!! Mmm, I can't wait to see what I can do. Thanks for the ideas, Jayde!
  • 0h, wait.. how could I have forgotten squid sauted in olive oil.

I cut the squid into strips (or rings) usually only using the body. I save the tentacles for something else later. Fry chopped garlic in olive oil and then add the squid strips. Sprinkle with pepper powder and parsley (fresh is better than dried), add a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper. .. man I am hungry all of a sudden!