Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-01-2006, 05:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Default TVP Taco Salad

I have a weakness for Mexican food, so I whipped this up last night.

Reconstitute 1 cup tvp (texture vegetable protein) granules with 1 cup boiling water and stir in taco seasoning packet.

I used some light corn chips (1 g fat/serving [I used 12 chips which is two servings]) topped with about 1/3 of the TVP and 1/4 cup shredded 2% mexican cheese and salsa (between 1/4 and 1/2 cup) and nooked it in the microwave for a minute. Then I added shredded lettuce and a couple tbsp of fat free plain yogurt (you could use f/f sour cream but this was all I had on hand and it worked great). Added up that cal and fat at the end, >450 cal and about 8 grams of fat for a HUGE meal.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:06 PM   #2  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Sounds yummy. Could you tell me what kind of tvp you use? Is this the same thing as hamburger helper? Please excuse my ignorance!!
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/141/125

That's one of my favourite meals! If you live in Canada you can buy Yves ground round that's Mexican flavoured and it saves messing with the water etc. but it's really good. Mine often comes in under 300 calories. I make up most of the bulk of the salad from veggies and often add in hot peppers. This is a great post-workout meal and doesn't take long to whip together.
KriWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:45 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

I've made this using seasoned black beans instead of the TVP. Yummy! I like to add shredded cabbage to the lettuce and I often skip the tortillas (mostly because I don't keep them on hand!)

Penny - TVP is textured vegetable protein, i.e. a vegetarian hamburger. You buy it dry in a box and reconstitute it. I've ordered some called Beef Not that's good. Can't recall the website, but you could google it. The Yves ground round is a frozen soy product, substitute for hamburger.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #5  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks Pat!
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Could easily lower the calories in this by 100 by using one serving of corn chips, I use two because I like to eat light throughout the day and have a larger-sized dinner.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote