Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-15-2006, 07:59 AM   #1  
Working at it

S/C/G: 180/tracker/115

Height: 5'3"

Default Healthy yet VERY filling?

I was wondering if any of you know of meals that are VERY filling yet have relatively few calories.

Iīd like to figure in a way so that my husband and I can eat together, because he keeps saying how heīd like to lose weight, but he canīt give up eating huge amounts of really fattening calorie-laden foods........he keeps giving the excuse that he just needs to exercise more...hehehehehehehehehe...thatīd help, too, but I donīt know who heīs kidding, hehe.

So anywho...he thinks that the healthy stuff isnīt that satisfying...so do any of you have any healthy ideas that really fill you up?

--Katherine
ktgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

You've got to increase the fiber in meals and keep protein high as well. Lots of veggies and beans will help with full-ness. Also have options like salad for a starter then broccoli, marinated chicken breast and brown rice with almonds, etc. Usually my boyfriend is satisfied with our healthy meals but he also knows I'm not going to fix something different for him so he's going to have to eat it.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:12 AM   #3  
Determined

Start with a huge salad filled with spinach/romaine, tomatoes, broccoli, caulflower, carrots etc.. Soup is a good filler too, as long as it is broth based. Beans and brown rice are fillings and healthy. Grilled chicken is another one that is healthy but filling also.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:18 AM   #4  
Working at it

S/C/G: 180/tracker/115

Height: 5'3"

Yeah...........those are exactly the kind of things my husband doesn´t want to eat.....he doesn´t feel like it´s a real meal?????

Maybe I´ll have to get mean and just say he´ll eat what I cook or he´ll have to get his food elsewhere......???

--Katherine
ktgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:16 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktgk
Maybe I´ll have to get mean and just say he´ll eat what I cook or he´ll have to get his food elsewhere......???
Well I am not married so no expert. But I doubt if that is the key to a happy marriage LOL.

My suggestion is to check around for great recipes! There are LOTS of them posted here and on some links. I've been doing crockpot stuff -- two friends and I are sharing them via email; both of them DO have hubbies, both of whom are thrilled that their wives are on this "kick" of trying out lots of new crockpot recipes!!

There are also lots of ways to prepare veggies besides just the "same ole same ole" -- of course not saying you are doing that; just to perhaps get creative. Even just for myself I am finding myself eating better than ever before in my life, and it's just not that hard!! Which reminds me... I need to head over and print out a yummy recipe for carrots which someone recently posted so I can try it today!

Don't give up!!! And personally I think it is a mistake to make your hubby more resentful and less supportive! Again, I do NOT pretend to be an expert since I am single... but I do know a FEW things about human relationships. You need this guy "on your side."

BTW I eat a lot of my "old favorites" -- such as meatloaf, sweet and sour meatballs, etc. -- I just strictly limit the amount of them and load up my plate with veggies and stuff. Perhaps you could break him into the healthful stuff gently... even have different main course for him and yourself if needed. This is not that hard if you have crockpot one-portion servings in the freezer. I often come in at night, look into the freezer and pick out whatever catches my eye... pop it into the microwave to thaw, fix a few veggies, and presto... there is a yummy dinner!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:38 PM   #6  

What sort of food does your hubby like? Then some of us (not me my significant other is very accommodating of my eating) who have tricky partners can suggest some modifications.

One of my hubby's favourite meals is hamburger and chips. I use pure ground beef, form into burgers then cook in the George. No added fat, no fillers, just beef.

I serve those in whole grain buns with plenty of salad. The "fries" are potatoes cut into chips cooked in the oven with a wee bit of spray. i can do the lot for under 500 calories, compare with over a thousand at MacDonalds! (I aim for 500 at dinner, 300 for lunch and 400 for breakfast and two lots of 100 for snacks)
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #7  
LLV

I've learned how to cook things to where they look and taste fattening, but they're not. And my husband is none the wiser.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:50 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
I've learned how to cook things to where they look and taste fattening, but they're not. And my husband is none the wiser.
I had a friend whose hubby and three kids were used to more junky stuff too... and she did exactly as you are doing but didn't TELL them it was healthy. They loved it and were none the wiser either.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:38 PM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
I had a friend whose hubby and three kids were used to more junky stuff too... and she did exactly as you are doing but didn't TELL them it was healthy. They loved it and were none the wiser either.
Yep, you gotta be sneaky with these characters. If you tell them they're eating healthy food, they probably won't eat it. You just have to find ways to cut fat and calories without sacrificing taste. And it can be done, very easily. I subscribe to a magazine called Light and Tasty and the recipes in that book are amazing, I get a new publication every two months. I have a recipe card box filled with Light and Tasty meals because they always include a "clip and keep" section. From 'fried' chicken to desserts. I've got a ton of desserts I make that are half the fat and calories of their higher-calorie twins. And taste-wise you can't tell the difference.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:21 PM   #10  

You sound like one wise chick, Linda!! Cheers!
Old 04-15-2006, 07:53 PM   #11  
Mel

Take a look a Cooking Light Magazine. There are a lot of good recipes in there for foods that he'll never know are healthy--and I'm sure you can make them even a little healthier! They also include all nutritional information so that you know what you are eating. Good luck!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:05 PM   #12  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
You sound like one wise chick, Linda!! Cheers!
Aww,thanks, I try
Old 04-15-2006, 10:29 PM   #13  

Rice and beans is one of my staples.
If I add a small salad on the side, I'm set for awhile.
_bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:44 PM   #14  

I wish I liked beans better. And I ate so much rice when I lived in the Philippines that I don't like it all that well now either but I do try to eat it at times.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:27 AM   #15  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

If you are pasta people I made something the other day (an experiment really) and my boyfriend had NO idea it was healthy!

Spaghetti and tukey balls

to make the turkey balls:
1package of lean gound turkey
1egg white
1 cup oats

mix in that order and make into small balls

tomate sauce:
1 can tomate juice
1small can tomato paste
1/2 can refied beans (you could add more in place off the paste but then it starts to taste more like chile)
add onion, mushrooms, broccoli (finely chopped) and any more veggies you wish, just be sure to chopp them tiny!
add sat and pepper to taste (and any other seasoning u wish)
put in large pot with turkey balls and let simmer until the meat is no longer pink in the middle.

this is one of my fave!!! Oh and use Whole Wheat noodles or any hig fiber noodles!!!

I add some homemade bracetta on flax pita bread-- its just like I am dinning at a fine italian restaraunt

its healthy and FILLING!!!! tons of fibre!
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote