Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 05:40 PM   #1  

Default Breakfast/cassarole recipes..PLEASE

Hi! new here getting ready to try a new lifestyle and get this weight off!!

I would like a good healthy muffin recipe that will keep me full and that I can maybe eat between meals as well as breakfast...
also any healthy GREAT tasting cassaroles that I can make for a week worth of lunches. I travel school to school for my job which I start back in a week..its easier to go thru drive thru...but I want to break that...so cassaroles would be great..
thanks
trish
Old 08-02-2001, 09:59 PM   #2  

Default Endless Variation Quiche

This is a good one!!

Endless Variation Quiche by MILLIEB
1 cup eggbeaters (4 pts.)
1 cup 1% or fat free cottage cheese (3 pts.)
cheese – any kind – various cheese have different amounts for different points – I use 4 pts. Worth of whatever kind of cheese
Optional – meat substitute – I’ve used sausage, bacon, turkey, gardenburgers, etc. – 3 pts.worth
Cooked vegetables cut into bite size pieces – about 3 cups worth or a 12 oz. Package of chopped spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Drain whatever you’re using well – I press the water out of the spinach or broccoli
Seasonings – again, experiment, nutmeg is good with spinach, you can add chili powder, etc.
Mix it all in a bowl and pour it into a cooking spray sprayed 9 inch pie pan or an 8 inch square pan. Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the center is pretty firm and puffy. (It will un-puff when it cools down) This whole thing is 14 points if you use the meat option, 11 if you don’t, and makes 4 good size servings. Here’s some of the options I’ve tried:
Spinach with bacon, feta cheese
Mushrooms with cheddar
Sun dried tomatoes (soaked and chopped first), mushroom and zucchini with pepper jack
Shredded zucchini, Greek style garden burger, and more feta.
Blue cheese with broccoli
There are just a ton of variations, it’s a great way to use up bits and pieces of leftovers. It's great hot or cold or for a picnic. I usually make one on Sundays for breakfast four days a week - it's still good on Friday, just wrap it well and refrigerate after it cools down.
Instead of meat sub, I'll use 3 points worth of olives. All different sorts - the variation I'm making this weekend is roasted peppers, Spanish olives and cheddar cheese. You get a surprisingly large amount of sliced olives for 3 points and somehow it seems very decadent. Also, artichoke hearts are good with kalamata olives
Old 08-02-2001, 10:05 PM   #3  

Baked Oatmeal

I followed the recipe as written, using the Brown Sugar Twin. Next time I would try Spenda. I'm going to try the Pumpkin too. I'll make this again! I doubled the recipe and I cooked mine the full 45 minutes.

I thought it was great with the SF syrup, but ate it another day cold while on the run to the doctor appointment.

I was amazed at how filling and satisfying this was, since hot oatmeal cereal does not stick with me.

Baked Oatmeal Servings: 4 Estimated Points per serving: 3
2 cups quick oats
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup skim/ff milk
1/2 cup Egg Beaters
1/2 cup Unsweetened apple sauce
4 Tbsp Brown Sugar Twin
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
Instructions
Preheat oven to 325. Combine dry ingredients and add wet ingredients. Mix it all up. Pour into a square glass baking dish that has been well sprayed on sides and bottom with Pam. Bake for about 45 Min. Let cool, cut into servings and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Original Poster's Special Notes:
This is the recipe as I found it. I used 6 packets of equal instead of the Brown Sugar Twin. I found that 45 Min was WAY to long to cook it and that it was done to my liking after 25 min (guess it depends on the oven). I take the individual serving cut it in half and put ICBINB spray and some SF maple syrup on it. It is very filling. I might try using splenda and more cinnamon, maybe substitute the apple sauce with canned pumpkin, and use Old Fashioned Oats instead of quick oats.
Old 08-02-2001, 11:11 PM   #4  

Check out the W W recipe section of breads and grains. I just pulled up my favorite Cinnamon Bran Muffin. It calls for 1/4 c of raisins. You could replace that with dried apples cut up or try cutting up a tart apple that is peeled and see how it comes out. I have made the recipe with dried cranberries but prefer golden raisins.

Also check out my new favorite Chocolate Muffins that are smaller than the Cinnamon Bran ones but only 1 pt each. De lish.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:15 PM   #5  

Hi Trish

You didn't mention what kind of muffins you liked, so here is an anything-goes recipe that I found.

Tobey

Anything Muffins

wet ingredients:
2 egg equivalent substitute
3/4 - 1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup applesauce

dry ingredients:
2 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Fruit combination (pick one)

1 C mashed banana and 1/2 C low sugar marmalade
1 C mashed banana and 1/2 C low sugar strawberry preserves
1-1/2 C fresh blueberries
1-1/2 C chopped granny smith apples
1 C mashed banana and 1/2 C mandarin orange pieces, mashed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients thoroughly, set aside. Mix wet ingredients in a large bowl, add dry ingredsients, mix until just blended, add fruit. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
Closed Thread