Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #1  

Default Lunches at Work?

Does anyone have any good suggestions for packing a lunch for work? During the winter I pack a lot of soup, and summer I pack salad, but right now I am not in the mood for either. I do have a fridge and microwave. Any good ideas?
kalishea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:10 PM   #2  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

its not fancy, but i usually pack a lean cuisine or ww smart ones and a piece of fruit if i'm in a hurry. otherwise, i always make extra chicken/fish and veg for dinner so i can bring a leftover containter to heat up for lunch. i'm also up for exciting new (easy) ideas!
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:05 PM   #3  
with my mind on my monkey

I too bring salads in the summer and soups in the winters to have alongside a sandwich for work lunches, but for me the sandwich is the keystone of the meal.

Some of my favorites include: sliced turkey with avocado, onions, tomato & lettuce; turkey burger with lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup and mustard; roast beef or grilled chicken with roasted red peppers, lettuce & garlic hummus; and one of my favorites - meatloaf. I switch up the bread depending on my mood and what's available: sliced whole-wheat bread, an Italian roll, pita bread or even as a wrap.

If you're bored with soups and salads, you could have fresh or cooked veggies, fruit, or both with your sandwich.

Just as often I bring leftover dinner for lunch. When I cook large meals on the weekends (like eggplant florentine, lasagna, King Ranch casserole or meatloaf), I portion out single servings and pop them into the freezer for a lazy or hurried day.

My coworkers always order take-out for lunch. Not that I'm counting, but they each spend between $50 and $100 weekly on just that! I truly prefer packing my own lunch. It's cheaper, and I always have exactly what I want made just how I want it!
HungryMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:17 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

My friend taught me this one and it's great! Put a cup of brown rice (or couscous) into a plastic container and pour half a can of healthy soup over it, your choice of flavors. Quick and yummy! I have also used the couscous or rice and put salsa in it and a little bit of fat free sour cream. Tastes great!

Also I often cook up a big crockpot of mixed veggies... if you want you can cook some ground beef or turkey, etc., and add in with it. I pour a can of Delmonte basil/garlic/oregano tomatoes over them and YUM... great lunches!

Misti
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:12 PM   #5  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I have 2 standard lunches -
1 can of Cloverleaf Tomato & Basil Tuna with 12 multigrain wheat thins
A 6" whole wheat wrap with mixed, light feta, 1/4 avocado, sliced chicken or turkey, and light balsamic dressing.
I add an apple and carrot sticks to each of these, and 8 Apple Cinnamon Crispy Minis.
For snacks i like All Bran bars, ReBars, cut up fruits and veggies
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:03 PM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

The tomato and basil tuna sounds good... never heard of it!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote