Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-02-2006, 04:46 PM   #1  

Default Question about cooking with honey... Need help please!!!

I love to make homemade granola but the usual recipe calls for 1/2c honey and I don't want to have all the sugar that honey has in it. Below is the recipe:

2c oats
1/2c wheat germ
1/2c slivered almonds
2t cinn.
Bake at 350 for 20min on cookie sheet. Meanwhile... In a saucepan combine over med heat:
1/2c honey
1/2c brown sugar (I use the spilenda which is great)
1-2t vanilla
2-3T butter (I use a light brand and only use 1T)
When everything is melted and mixed together over heat mix in the oat mixture. Spead out on a pam srayed 9x13 and bake at 300 for 25min. Cool completly before cutting.
This is my question. They honey is what makes the mix stay together. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use in place of the honey to lower the sugar and calorie content? Thanks!
yogachick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #2  
Meg

Gosh, that sounds SO good! Do you think that one of the sugar-free 'maple' syrups might be sticky enough to hold it all together?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:53 PM   #3  
only dude on 3 fat chicks

I wish i could help more but the only thing i see is like adding molassas or more brown sugar heres anougther recipe tho

Chewy Coconut-Granola Bars
From

Cooking spray
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons fat-free milk
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups low-fat granola without raisins (such as Kellogg's)
3/4 cup chopped dried mixed fruit (such as Marian Premium Tropical Medley)
1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 350°.
Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray; dust with 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour. Lightly spoon 2/3 cup all-purpose flour and whole-wheat flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine sugar, oil, milk, and eggs in a large bowl; beat at high speed of a mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Fold in granola and fruit. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with coconut. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.

Yield: 20 servings (serving size: 1 bar)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 157(27% from fat); FAT 4.7g (sat 1.6g,mono 1.2g,poly 1.5g); PROTEIN 2.1g; CHOLESTEROL 22mg; CALCIUM 34mg; SODIUM 122mg; FIBER 1.1g; IRON 1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 27.8g
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #4  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Gosh, that sounds SO good! Do you think that one of the sugar-free 'maple' syrups might be sticky enough to hold it all together?
Hey, that might be a good idea. This granola recipe sounds great, I'd like to try it.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #5  

Trust me ladies this recipe is fantastic! I will try the sugar free syrup. I will keep you posted as to how it turns out!
yogachick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #6  

I am not sure if it's less sugar, but you may also try cooking down like a juice or something...may be even the syrup to make it thicker. I love granola...
Infrogwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:35 PM   #7  
Mel

Try agave syrup. You can find it in health food stores. It's sticky and sweet, but has a much lower sugar content and glycemic index than honey.

Check the sweetener in your SF syrup. You aren't supposed to cook with aspartame. If it's splenda, you should be fine.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote