Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 07:16 AM   #16  

Angry

Have any of you tried Waist Watcher diet soda? It's made with Splenda, and they have some great flavors. In the grocery store I go to the price is 4/$1.00.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:37 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Glad you found this info helpful!
Another product I found that I really like in certain flavors, is the protein bar called Promax.
A Promax bar supplement has 270-290 calories, 20 grms of protein, and around 30-40 grams of carbs, and 5 grams fat.
I am not a low carb dieter, so I can avoid the yucky taste of low/no carb bars like Carb Solutions, but I want a higher protein bar than regular meal reppacements like Slim Fast, with less sugar. These are winners!
The best flavor I have tried is the Cookies and Cream flavor-it is like a dessert...the brownie flavor and chocolate mint are not quite as good, but a lot better than regular Powerbars and Met-RX bars. If you are going for protein and want it to be edible-these are the way to go.
Aphil
Old 10-19-2002, 10:09 AM   #18  
RonaldMcDonald's LuvChild

Hi again, Aphil! I was re-reading this thread so I can continue to absorb the info. When I get to the supermarket I have a better idea of the right choices and the better choices.

How about Salad Dressings?? I wasn't satisfied with vinegar and lemon juice - tho I like a pungent dressing. I had a low-fat vinaigrette at a restaurant lately that was too sweet. Not too many fat-free to choose from where I shop, Wishbone and Ken's Steakhouse.

Any particular brands taste better than others?
Old 10-19-2002, 09:04 PM   #19  

Actually, a brand I have found that I really like is called Just 2 Good! it is by one of the big salad dressing names, I just can't remember which right now-but instead of being fat free, they have 2 grams, so they taste more like a regular dressing, but without the 10 grams and ton of calories they have. Light Done Right is also a good brand tht follows that same type. I usually prefer a low fat ice cream over a totally fat free one-the 1 or 2 grams really makes a difference in the taste and texture, without the 8-12 grams in regular ice creams. There are a few fat free things I do like as well as the regular versions-Fat Free Newtons are one of them...yum.
Try those dressings if you can find them-they have them at Wal-Mart, and most large grocery stores like Kroger.
Aphil
Old 10-20-2002, 02:15 PM   #20  

Aphil - thanks again. I've seen them but had only worked my way thru a couple ff to see that there is something left to be desired in ff dressings. 10 calories is great but not if you ain't happy with the flavor!

I bought a couple more ff yesterday - a toasted sesame/ginger soy, and a balsamic vinegar - by Olde Cape Cod. Might be a semi-local brand. The price was fine - $2 for 8 oz.

The sesame is 45 calories - with honey and all natural. The balsamic dressing is 25 calories from some fructose/corn syrup.

Will try the Just 2 Good - I *know* I've seen them a couple places.

Haven't found any low fat cheese yet. Need to hit a larger store for that, I guess.

Did try Eggbeaters this morning. Sauted a scallion and frying pepper in an all natural buttery ff spray and dumped in a carton of Eggbeaters and YES! Nice and fluffy and only 120 calories for an 4-egg omelette! Score!
Old 10-20-2002, 02:23 PM   #21  

I usually buy the reduced fat salad dressings. I find that the Fat Free has way too much sugar in them, as I have to watch my sugar intake because of high triglycerides.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:40 AM   #22  

The low fat dressings are almost always better than the fat free. The worst I have ever tried-Nutri Systems fat free red pepper italian dressing-YUCK!!!!
I agree about the added sugar in some of the fat free flavors. I would much rather have a grm or two of fat in it, and have less sugar and more taste. The Just 2 Good and Light Done Right are winners-both of them.
Some other good finds I have found are the Weight Watchers Ice Cream sandwiches-THey are really big and round like Dairy Queen snadwiches, and only 120-130 calories-they have vanilla and chocolate varieties. They are in a plastic container an have them at Kroger and WalMart in the ice cream section. For the occasional treat, you will not be dissappointed.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:58 AM   #23  
living 1 day at a time

aphil,
did you know that ground round is as lean as turkey (85% lean?) and has LESS calories. This is a good thing to use in any dish that requires ground beef.
morningglory
Old 10-25-2002, 09:33 AM   #24  

Yes! I DO love beef, and I do eat it in small amounts-so I try to pick the leanest ground beef available, or a lean cut of steak if I eat it, like filet mignon. I order some meat from Schwanns, and they have the nutritional value of all of their meat on the website-they have all sorts of steaks, as well as boneless turkey breasts, rather than chicken, and a lot of choices. If you have a deep freezer, you might try them out. They also have good low fat ice cream and frozen yogurt, and meal kits-like the ones at the store.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:24 PM   #25  

Location: Bloomington, IN.......moving to Chicago, IL in June, 2003

I really enjoy Kroger brand LITE yogurt in the pina colada flavor. It is fat free, 100 calories (for a pretty large container of yogurt!) and has chunks of pineapple and a few tiny pieces of coconut. It is sooo good!

Also, try Stretch Island fruit leather....they're about 50 calories each, pure fruit (no sugar added) and so good! They come in a variety of flavors and Kroger often runs specials of 3 for $1. Great way to eat fruit if you're on the go.

I HATE fat-free salad dressings but found a really good variety of 2-grams of fat per serving lite dressing. It is called Two-lightful by T.Marzetti's and is in the veggie section of the grocery store. Try the peppercorn ranch variety.

Also, I like to make my own low-fat thousand island dressing. It's really easy....use equal parts ketchup and mayo (either lite mayo or the new 2-grams of fat variety are fine) and add a spoonful or two of sweet pickle relish. Yum!
Old 01-18-2003, 09:54 PM   #26  

Hi all Just happened up on this thread and found it very useful...thanks! Thought I'd share something I found this week. Brummels and Brown spread...I've had strawberry and plain. Strawberry is yummy and plain tastes better than margarine to me. I put them both on english muffins or whole wheat bagels. The spread is made of yogurt but tastes nothing like it. I dont like any yogurt I have ever tried, but I LOVE this spread. It has around 30 calories per tablespoon and 4 grams of fat, I think. I only use about a teaspoon of it at a time so it's not too bad at all.
Just happened to see it in the refrigerated section beside the butter, etc.

Miki
Old 01-22-2003, 02:23 PM   #27  

I have been looking for a thread like this one. Thank you for all your idea's. Here are a few of mine.

French Fries- spray pam or non-stick spray on a tray and place thin pieces of a cut up potatoe, bake until golden brown, flip over once. Yummy! Add a little salt.

Slimfast shakes are okay, I use the equate brand from wal-mart. It saves a little money and they are almost exactly the same.

Rusty- I use Wish-Bone dressing. Try the Red Wine Vinaigrette, its also great for marinades. It only has 90 cal. 5 grams fat for 2 Tbsp. It has a sweet, spiciness to it. Really Good!

FF pretzels are wonderful. I make a sweet spicey dip with a little honey, horseradish and mustard. Sounds discusting but is really good. Has a lot of flavor.

Air popped popcorn- spray non-stick spray on it after being popped and then salt is. It helps the salt to stick to the popcorn.

Keep of the idea's and tips. These are exactly what I need.

Amy Booth

now 275
goal size 16
Old 01-23-2003, 10:27 AM   #28  

Hi Amy!

My husband now PREFERS the butter-flavored spray or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray on his popcorn. I never thought I'd see that!

Old 01-23-2003, 06:38 PM   #29  

Talking A couple more!!!

I thought of a couple more throughout the day.

I have used applesauce instead of oil in brownies, then reduce the time by just a few minutes. I like mine fudgy. Same taste just a little different texture.

I also have saved up some 8 oz. sour cream bowls. Whenever I get a snack or a bowl of cereal or something I use these. They hold less food therefore I eas less food. Same with smaller plates.

More idea's anyone???

Amy
Old 01-26-2003, 12:23 AM   #30  

have you tried the grilled chicken salad at Carl's Jr. only 209 calories and you can get low cal italian dressing on the side or ranch regular.
Closed Thread