Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-01-2006, 08:49 PM   #1  

Default Can someone help me find this food item, please?

I was reading in a thread about someone eating humous and would like to give it a try. I can't seem to find the thread now. Anywho, can someone tell me where in the supermarket I can find this? Or would it be better to make it myself? I know it contains mashed chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic and tahini. I am not sure what the tahini is though. I am trying to get in the habit of giving new, healthier things a try and saw on some show where they discarded the egg yoke and filled it with the humous. They said it was much healthier to eat the egg that way than with the yoke in it (although I eat it by itself often). Now I am interested in having some.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
nicole110424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:56 PM   #2  

Make your own:

1 can of chick peas
as much garlic as you like- I like lots so several cloves
juice of 1/2 lemon
i add a spash of sesame oil instead of the tahini because i can never find tahihi
a handful of sesame seeds!

puree and use as dip for veggies- yum-a-rific!
susie_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Hummus is usually sold in the deli section. You know the section where they put homemade potato salad, feta cheese, and other exotic things. That's the refrigerated section you should find hummus.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #4  

Thank a bunch guys! I am going to try it both ways and see which way I like best!
nicole110424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #5  

Good for you for wanting to try new things!! You can find it in a large grocery store (around here that is Giant Eagle) You need to look in the refrigerated section by the cheese, cream cheese, dips etc.. In my store it is right up there by the Athenos Feta cheese. Athenos makes hummus too.

Sometimes if your store had a large prepared foods section in the deli it might be there too

Also any health/whole food store would carry it if there is one in your area.

They also make a dried version that comes in a box (can't remember the brand) you add water and olive oil I think.

Hope that helps you find it. It is becoming sort of mainstream, so unless you live in a remote area with just a corner grocer you should be able to get your hands on it.

I've never heard of the egg thing, but you can always use it as a good dip for veggies, whole grain crackers like triscuits etc...
LucyGoosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #6  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Hi,

I LOVE hummos! Tahina is an "oily, nut-flavored paste made from sesame seeds"

Tahina and cans of hummos can usually be found in the ethnic food section in
large grocery stores. It is a middle eastern food item. If you are unable to find it in your grocery store it is always available in a middle eastern food store. The tahina makes a HUGE difference in taste, imo.

The prepared hummos which can be found in some grocery store delis are usually pretty good. The quality varies and they are more expensive.

Cortas is an excellent brand of both tahina and the prepared hummos (in a can).
they have a website with lots of information and good recipes if anyone is interested
www.cortas.com.lb

Hummos is most commonly eaten with pita bread. But I like it even by itself. YUMMMMMM......
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:45 PM   #7  

Be sure to keep the Tahini in the fridge -- it goes rancid pretty quickly after opening if left out.

I buy the refrigerated hummus in the deli section -- it's pretty common, even in grocery stores that do not carry a lot of exotic foods. I like it almost as well as homemade, although it's a little thicker. The big thing now is "flavored" hummus -- red pepper, etc. but I really prefer the plain, original version. I don't care for the powdered mix, and I've never seen canned and don't think I'd be tempted try it. Becareful in that regular hummous is very high in fat, although it's a good fat. Treat it like peanut butter, nutritionally.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #8  
stbakd

try going to a east indian food store. glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:59 PM   #9  
What are you waiting for?

S/C/G: 232/258/223

Height: 5'4

Okay what the heck is hummus? I've heard alot of this And i've never seen it or eaten it what part of the food group is it and what's it's nutritional fact's why's it soo good? Sorry for the ?'s just gotta know! ~ kim
rysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #10  

Hummus
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hummus with beanshootsHummus (Arabic: حُمُّص 'hoummos (help·info); Armenian translit: hamos; Greek: Χούμους; Hebrew: חומוס; also spelt as houmous (standard in UK), hommus, or humus) is a dip made of chickpea paste with various additions, such as olive oil, fresh garlic, lemon juice, paprika, and tahini (sesame seed paste). It is popular throughout the Middle East, including in Israel, Lebanon, the Palestinian territories, Syria, Turkey, and in Armenia, Cyprus and Greece, though the hummus eaten in Greece, for example, is quite different from the hummus eaten in the Arab world and in Israel.

In Arabic, "Hummus" means simply chickpea. The dish described in this article is called "Hummus wa Tahina", i.e. chickpea and sesame, or "musabbaha".

It is traditionally scooped up with flatbread (pieces of pita) to be eaten, but it is increasingly popular as a dip for tortilla chips in non-Middle Eastern countries. It is a popular breakfast food, especially when combined with another dip named ful (pronounced /fuːl/), which is based on crushed fava beans. It is also used as an appetizer dish to accompany main courses, and as part of a mezze.

Hummus is relatively cheap to make with either dried or canned chickpeas. Dried chickpeas must be soaked in water overnight then simmered for an hour or more. The cooked or canned chickpeas are ground, using a food processor or hand blender, with olive oil, lemon juice, and tahini. A bit of the water in which the chickpeas were boiled may be added to reach the desired consistency. Garlic, salt, parsley, onions, cumin, and/or chili powder may be added. Peanut butter is occasionally substituted for tahini by Americans, but the taste of that mixture is very strange from a Middle-Eastern and European point of view.

It is a nutritious food, containing a large amount of protein, dietary fiber, monounsaturated fat, and iron, and is suitable for vegetarians and vegans. It is often garnished with mushrooms, parsley, paprika, pine nuts, tomatoes, cucumber, thinly-sliced onions, or more chickpeas, and then drizzled with olive oil before serving.
surfer376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #11  

Hummus is in the deli case at your grocery. You would see it around salsa, shredded cheeses and so forth.
branjeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:54 AM   #12  
Osteengal

S/C/G: 186/183/157

Height: 5'8"

Is hummus considered a Core Plan food on Weight Watchers? Or would it count as some of the 35 weekly points?
Denisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:06 AM   #13  
What are you waiting for?

S/C/G: 232/258/223

Height: 5'4

okay so what part of the food group is it from? I don't even know what chickpeas are lol... People say they use it in place of mayo and for dipping is it salty chunky? it sounds so weird lol
rysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #14  
Egy Kis Lany

Chickpeas are also referred to as Garbanzo beans... maybe you know them by that name?

Hummus has become, I think, mainstream enough for most grocery stores. I saw some bottled (not refridgerated) by the nacho-cheese and salsas at my grocery store that they sell right next to the tortilla chips... but I prefer the ones found in the deli case -- usually in a little plastic tub. My favorite varieties have extra garlic.

I like to add some to sandwiches in place of mayo to keep things from being too dry.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:49 AM   #15  

Chickpea is a legume, also known as a Garbanzo bean. You see them alot in buffet style salad bars. They are very healthy! Try em, you will find them with beans, either canned or in bags.
Chari
surfer376 is offline   Reply With Quote